I just got the new bold 9700 and am having an issue with the battery life. I charge it fully overnight, barely use it, and by the time I get into the office it's dropped to 75%. I don't text that much on it or use it too much either. My old bold would go 2 days before needing a charge. I swapped the battery and am still having this issue. Only thing I can think of is that either the phone is doing something weird and draining the battery excessively (wifi is not active, by the way - a big battery drainer), or the OS is sucking up all the juice with the new interface and updates. I'm running OS v5.0.0.296, FYI.

Anyone out there experiencing a huge drop in battery performance, or is it just me? I already swapped out the phone once with ATT because the 'p' button was having issues, so can't swap it again without paying a restocking fee.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
    12-01-09 06:59 PM
    I posted this in another thread, but just wanted to share this for comparison.

Battery Life is phenomenal with 2 Days of heavy usage. Pandora, music player ,recording the UF/FSU game live, 50+ Pictures, txting, phone calls, emailing, all push apps on, and web browsing with Constant 3G.

To put things into perspective I haven't charged it since Friday 7pm EST, and it finally died yesterday, Monday, at 2:40p EST doing all the stuff I mentioned above.

Quite amazing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 09:41 PM
    I have had a battery life problem when I first got the phone. It has now been 2 weeks. I charged my phone till 12pm and it is now 11:30pm and I am at 75%. Give the phone time. It evens itself out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 10:34 PM
    The 9700 has one of the best battery life out of most BB on the market.
    12-01-09 11:51 PM
    mine had great battery life!!
    12-02-09 12:21 AM
    I have had a battery life problem when I first got the phone. [...] Give the phone time. It evens itself out.
    Why is that? The battery's not organic.
    12-02-09 01:45 AM
    IMHO the 9700 has excellent battery record.
    12-02-09 02:18 AM
    I've had my 9700 and, so far, battery life has been excellent. Starting from about 80% in the morning (having forgotten to charge it overnight) it will last, with heavy usage) through till 11:30pm with 20% remaining. This was with both wifi and bluetooth on (though I wasn't connected to either a headset or a wifi network).

From a full charge, I'd guess that I could probably get 2 days of normal usage out of it.
    Last edited by Hazel77; 12-03-09 at 02:38 AM.
    12-02-09 06:25 AM
    i get a good 12 hours with heavy usage.
    12-02-09 08:21 AM
    Like someone else said, give it sometime to break the battery in. From reviews it seems the 9700 has the best battery life from all bberrys. God, RIM should make that model for CDMA carriers. The 9000 has been my fav from all time.
    12-02-09 08:44 AM
    Hello,

I am having the same issues with the battery life…

I am wondering if it has to do with the trackpad always being active…?

Having the Blackberry in your pocket, may set off the trackpad sensor, and keep the phone active, rather than standby... I've noticed my phone gets quite hot after removing it from my jacket pocket, and my battery almost drained completely after about 12hrs of non-use...
    I’ve tried using the lock button at the top, but it does not disable the trackpad.

Any thoughts on how to disable the trackpad from use when locking your phone? I’ve tried everything so far, and only thing I can think of now, is using the holster, which gets annoying…

Any help on disabling the trackpad when locked, would be very helpful!

Thanks,
    02-19-10 12:43 PM
    I'm running OS v5.0.0.296
    In my experience, OS versions can make a huge difference in battery performance.

You are using an aged OS. You might try updating to a newer OS. T-Mobile's .330 was excellent for me on battery performance. I am now using .442 and it is OK. Not as good as .330 but workable. .442 is the latest official release available. You can find upgrade info to .442 in a stickied thread at the top of the 9700 forum.
    02-19-10 12:51 PM
    To be honest, I've had my 9700 for one week tomorrow and the battery life troubled me at first. But it does appear to be improving. They say you should run the battery all the way down a few times when it's new. This is what I am doing.

Good luck.
    02-19-10 05:17 PM
    To be honest, I've had my 9700 for one week tomorrow and the battery life troubled me at first. But it does appear to be improving. They say you should run the battery all the way down a few times when it's new. This is what I am doing.

Good luck.
    lithium batteries do not appreciate being drained completely. older batteries this was necessary with.
    02-19-10 05:24 PM
    lithium batteries do not appreciate being drained completely. older batteries this was necessary with.
    Oh! I thought this was the natural process for all new batteries.
    02-19-10 05:26 PM
    Mine is a few days old and I'm only at 50% at the end of the day with average use
    02-19-10 09:15 PM
    It's the best I've used so far, but I'm a seriously heavy user apparently. I charge at least twice a day. I also have a lot of apps running constantly though, and am constantly in and out of service.
    02-19-10 09:29 PM
    Those people not having great battery life with the 9700 should start by checking how many apps they are running in the backround, especially if they are GPS related
    02-19-10 09:31 PM
    I run wifi, bluetooth, SS and foursquare all day and I can count on 15 hours a day with roughly 30% at days end
    02-19-10 09:33 PM
    9700 battery is excellent, but it of course depends on usage. I can go two days or more if I hardly use the phone, but when it's busy with calls, e-mail and BBM, about a full day plus a few hors. Actually good.
    02-20-10 11:00 AM
    Slipping the phone into the leather pouch for standby mode really does make a difference.
    02-20-10 11:36 AM
    I've been having the exact same problem. My phone is charged at 100% at bedtime and when I awake it is at 70%. I drained it down today, turned it off and charged it. It was fully charged at 3:45pm It is now 7:51pm and I'm at 55%, aside from checking my facebook account and sending 4 emails (no phone calls at all) I should not be experiencing this problem. I'm still in my 14day buyers remorse period, I may just take it back!
    02-24-10 06:53 PM
    After a heavy data usage day, mine is about 50%, and thats using it for 16 hours. Ive never owned a Berry with battery life like this, except the $60 Seidio extended battery/door I had on my 8900
    02-24-10 08:09 PM
    this phone has the best battery life that i have ever used on a phone. Minus my old T-mobile SDA.
    02-24-10 08:20 PM
    my battery is having the same issues. it is fully charged when i leave the house(645am) then an hour later it has 93% left. then towards the end of my school day (140pm) it is down to 75%. i only occasionally check my text, twitter, facebook, etc and my 3g is turned off because with it on it drained it even more.
    02-24-10 11:36 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD