What advantages does the 9700 have over the iphone 3GS? Which one would u get and why?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 10:20 AM
    You are posting this in the 9700 forum so you would expect most to pick a Blackberry.

The iPhone and 9700 are two different animals and hard to compare. YOU need to go to your local carrier and play with both and decide!
    11-30-09 10:27 AM
    I had a 9000, currently have a 3GS, and I'm going to get a 9700. The 3GS is a great multimedia device and it's OS is more polished than BlackBerry's OS, but you can do far more customization to the BlackBerry. BlackBerries are much faster to navigate around and they also have push email and a real keyboard.
    11-30-09 10:31 AM
    My deal breaker was a qwerty keyboard. I was contemplating a iphone but my hands just weren't built for a touchscreen phone. I mostly sms/IM and a real keyboard was a dealbreaker for me. But to each their own, weigh your needs and see what both phones have to offer.
    11-30-09 10:45 AM
    I just came from a 3GS to the 9700... I also had a 9000 before the 3GS launched. The biggest thing for me is the keyboard. I can type far faster, and more accurately, on a BB keyboard over the iPhone. Another huge thing is battery life. I got maybe a day out of my iPhone, while I get between two to three DAYS with the 9700.

Also, the email and BBM is just fantastic. MobileMe works 10x better on my 9700 than it ever did with the iPhone.
    11-30-09 10:47 AM
    I just came from a 3GS to the 9700... I also had a 9000 before the 3GS launched. The biggest thing for me is the keyboard. I can type far faster, and more accurately, on a BB keyboard over the iPhone. Another huge thing is battery life. I got maybe a day out of my iPhone, while I get between two to three DAYS with the 9700.

Also, the email and BBM is just fantastic. MobileMe works 10x better on my 9700 than it ever did with the iPhone.
    I agree the keyboard helps and that the BlackBerry is also better at communicating than the iPhone.
    11-30-09 10:49 AM
    "Push" email, camera flash, the ability to run applications in the backround, able to swap batteries and reset device. Those are a few...
    11-30-09 10:49 AM
    I got my wife a 3Gs 16GB and it is a great entertainment device but, as far as a functional, practical device, the advantages mentioned above make it better. It will only be a matter of time until things like memory and web browser are augmented so as to make the 97xx better than the iPhone. If you need to fix it, you can't talk with support on the phone and work through minor issues, you need to send it in. You need a special wrench to install the SIM card. If the virtual keyboard malfunctions, you are pretty much stuck with an expensive brick.
    11-30-09 11:04 AM
    "Push" email, camera flash, the ability to run applications in the backround, able to swap batteries and reset device. Those are a few...
    ^^Exactly

It comes down to this if u want a touchscreen thing get an iphone

Anything else get the 9700...point blank period

**Coming from a previous iPhone owner**
    11-30-09 11:05 AM
    Simple, it's a Blackberry.
    11-30-09 11:16 AM
    Either Blackberry or nothing .......END OF STORY !!!!

11-30-09 11:56 AM
    You are posting this in the 9700 forum so you would expect most to pick a Blackberry.

The iPhone and 9700 are two different animals and hard to compare. YOU need to go to your local carrier and play with both and decide!
    Very True! As greggebhardt mentioned, go to your carrier, play with both. But I will recommend one more step before you decide: Go home, make a list of your likes & dislikes for both of them, compare their features & functions, analyze which device better suits your lifestyle. Then, you can decide...
    11-30-09 12:40 PM
    Either Blackberry or nothing .......END OF STORY !!!!

When the first 3G iphones came into my stores a while back... I immediately took one and was gonna use it as my main phone. 24 hours later, I gave it to my 8 year old daughter (who's now 9)... She loves playing games on it.....
    You getting the message!!?? LOLOLOL (I'm serious BTW)
    11-30-09 12:56 PM
    I do wish BBs could display full HTML emails much better. Thats one area the iPhone trumps BBs. Im going to have to get a phone for my business next January and Im trying to decide between a 3GS, 9700 or Tour 2 (Essex). Email will be hosted exchange so push isnt a problem for any phone that I choose.
    11-30-09 01:00 PM
    I do wish BBs could display full HTML emails much better. Thats one area the iPhone trumps BBs. Im going to have to get a phone for my business next January and Im trying to decide between a 3GS, 9700 or Tour 2 (Essex). Email will be hosted exchange so push isnt a problem for any phone that I choose.
    The push email isn't the same on the iphone. There is at least a few second delay and it drains battery so much faster. Having it enabled I got less than a day with barely using the phone and 3G disabled. On the 9700 I get 2+ days with 3G and exchange email.
    11-30-09 01:24 PM
    I own and use both daily, I use my 9700 for all my emails, texts, phone calls. I use my 3GS for browsing the web, games, and music.

IMO if you type a lot a physical keyboard might be best.
    11-30-09 01:52 PM
    this isnt really a fair comparison, both phones are completely different. if your life is about communication and keeping in touch - you only need a blackberry, if you need to be online and have great apps and games then get an iphone.

very different devices catering to very different markets.
    11-30-09 01:59 PM
    I own and use both daily, I use my 9700 for all my emails, texts, phone calls. I use my 3GS for browsing the web, games, and music.

IMO if you type a lot a physical keyboard might be best.
    I type a lot and I use my iPhone. I actually type faster and more accurately with the iPhone than I did with my Bold. But it does take some getting used to and I think that is why a lot of people don't stick it out with the iPhone. It took me about a week to be able to type comfortably and accurately ony iPhone. Now I type much faster. But after a few days of typing on the iphone, a lot of user become frustrated which is understandable. There ate a lot of things that the iPhone does better than the 9700. Actually, outside of battery life, I really can't come up with how the 9700 would be better. I'm not saying that the 9700 isn't a great device, because it is. But it isn't better than the iPhone, not by a long shot.
    11-30-09 02:06 PM
    I type a lot and I use my iPhone. I actually type faster and more accurately with the iPhone than I did with my Bold. But it does take some getting used to and I think that is why a lot of people don't stick it out with the iPhone. It took me about a week to be able to type comfortably and accurately ony iPhone. Now I type much faster. But after a few days of typing on the iphone, a lot of user become frustrated which is understandable. There ate a lot of things that the iPhone does better than the 9700. Actually, outside of battery life, I really can't come up with how the 9700 would be better. I'm not saying that the 9700 isn't a great device, because it is. But it isn't better than the iPhone, not by a long shot.
    One phone being better than another is more personal preference than anything. So for some the 9700 could absolutely be better and vice versa. I also type quite a bit on my iPhone and did use it exclusively for a while but I prefer a physical QWERTY keyboard...again this is just preference and personal opinion which is what all the iPhone vs Blackberry threads come down to.
    11-30-09 02:12 PM
    BlackBerries multi-task natively. iPhone is an epic failure for that reason alone for me. How can a phone be considered smart if it can't perform multiple tasks at once without the assistance of software that makes your phone vulnerable?

iPhone users are trendy. BlackBerry users are important!
    11-30-09 02:13 PM
    The push email isn't the same on the iphone. There is at least a few second delay and it drains battery so much faster. Having it enabled I got less than a day with barely using the phone and 3G disabled. On the 9700 I get 2+ days with 3G and exchange email.
    Using push exchange? Thats disappointing to hear.
    11-30-09 02:18 PM
    Well, the iPhone claims to have "push" email, but if you've ever used both an iPhone and a BlackBerry side-by-side for any length of time, you'll quickly see that iPhone's "push" is more of a toy than a reliable business communication service. I've randomly had 'push' emails delayed by hours on the iPhone.
    11-30-09 02:18 PM
    The battery.
    11-30-09 02:25 PM
    Using push exchange? Thats disappointing to hear.
    It is absolutely true. If you want the iPhone's delayed "push" email, be ready to lose battery power....literally seeing it leak away as you watch it. My colleague and I literally sat there watching it go from 80 - 75% over the space of a few minutes. I was in DC, in my office, not touching the device, with "push" enabled. Power just literally drained away sitting on my desk. I had to turn off all location based devices.
    11-30-09 02:26 PM
    I like:

The real keyboard. I type too much to use a "virtual" keyboard.

Swap-able battery (that also lasts longer than the iphone battery). If you travel a lot, the iphone doesn't cut it.
    11-30-09 02:40 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD