Hello all. Has anyone downloaded the leaked version of 5.0 (5.0.0.230). I was going to attempt doing so but wanted to possibly get some feedback if possible. Is it worth attempting or worth the wait for the official release. Thanks
    11-29-09 10:18 PM
    I'm such a chicken when it comes to leaked or BETA software... I like to know what I'm getting into. The 5.0 does sound tempting, though!
    11-29-09 10:36 PM
    As your attorney, I would advise you to stop holding your breath for VZW to release 5.0.0.xxx for the 8330, you will perish from asphyxiation before VZW deems it acceptable for we peons to operate it on the mighty VZW network... Just try the beta if you want 5.0 and load a hybrid over it, I'd give you the links to installation instructions and the best hybrid IMO, but I'm posting from my device right now, but I will tell you that the best hybrid can be found in the 8330 device help forum under a thread "8330 hybrids" posted by mrweeedbirdman (the number of "e"s in the name may differ slightly) it is pretty diesel and pre-shrunk which makes installation much easier... I've been running v5 of his hybrid since it was posted, and I have to do a batt pull every 6 days or so, and usually just for the sake of doing one, so don't worry about memory leak and instability... Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 02:31 AM
    Yeah, the hybirds that birdman makes are great! You can check out the updates of his hybirds in my signature. (You can find more info on it here) Or you can search it up here on crackberry.
    11-30-09 02:55 AM
    So does the 5.0 actually make the 8330 slower or is it about the same? Mine is working very well, but I'd like to upgrade if it won't bog down the already slow hardware.
    11-30-09 08:52 AM
    I tried the .230 leak on my 8330. Even after removing everything I didn't need and loading zero 3rd-party apps, I couldn't get more than 19mb file free memory on reboot. It felt a little like trying to run Vista on a 2GHz Pentium with 1GB of RAM--yeah, it worked. But my 8330 never ran right.

If you're going to try 5.0, be sure you use a highly recommended hybrid. I've read (here and at bbhybrids.net) that a decent hybrid makes 5.0 quite usable on an 8330. I'm using a hybrid on my 9630, and even with the crappy .230 radio, it's better than any official 4.7 or leaked 5.0 I've tried.
    11-30-09 08:22 PM
    We did the Birdman Hybrid on my buddies 8330 two weeks ago. He is loving it.

NOTE:

Pictures can be scrolled with the trackball while in full screen view of the picture folder.

He can use the BB button to pull up his opened apps...basically the app switcher you get from alt + esc IIRC

Hidden today theme. (Threshold)

No issues that he has complained of, been extremely happy....well until we realized his wife has an 8330m, in which she can not get the hybrid.
    12-01-09 07:39 AM
    As your attorney, I would advise you to stop holding your breath for VZW to release 5.0.0.xxx for the 8330, you will perish from asphyxiation before VZW deems it acceptable for we peons to operate it on the mighty VZW network... Just try the beta if you want 5.0 and load a hybrid over it, I'd give you the links to installation instructions and the best hybrid IMO, but I'm posting from my device right now, but I will tell you that the best hybrid can be found in the 8330 device help forum under a thread "8330 hybrids" posted by mrweeedbirdman (the number of "e"s in the name may differ slightly) it is pretty diesel and pre-shrunk which makes installation much easier... I've been running v5 of his hybrid since it was posted, and I have to do a batt pull every 6 days or so, and usually just for the sake of doing one, so don't worry about memory leak and instability... Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Love the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas reference.
    12-01-09 08:43 AM
    anyone know if i can get my gps to work on my 8330 hybrid v5?
    12-01-09 09:04 AM
    anyone know if i can get my gps to work on my 8330 hybrid v5?
    If you are using verizon, gps will not work with bb maps yet.
    12-01-09 11:54 AM
    what's the best way to wipe my blackberry? i went to nathanix's website and downloaded the packaged files. i can't read javaloader.exe - did anyone else get it to open? thanks in advance.
    12-01-09 04:39 PM
    what's the best way to wipe my blackberry? i went to nathanix's website and downloaded the packaged files. i can't read javaloader.exe - did anyone else get it to open? thanks in advance.
    Try using BBSAK

RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0
    12-01-09 05:08 PM
    I have been running OS 5 .230 on a Verizon 8330 and it is great. The refreshed look, threaded sms, and bedtime (clock) mode is sweet. I'm going to try a hybrid but I'm just throwing out there that the leaked OS 5 .230 works fine for me. It's not more slow or more fast..just the same but looks better.
    12-06-09 08:55 AM
    I've been using the leaked 5.0.0.230 for several weeks on my VZW 8330 that I use every day for work.

Its been stable and works well.

Granted, all I do is email, contacts, calendar and Lotus Sametime, all through a BES. I rarely surf and don't really have any 3rd party apps installed.
    12-06-09 12:40 PM
    I had the leaked OS on my curve right after it came out and I liked it, it was easy to install even for a "newbie" like me. I tried adding a hybrid over it and never could get it to work So I just wiped it totally and went back to 4.5. I thought I'd wait until the official release from Verizon but I'm getting the itch again....
    I need to find a tutorial site or page to read through several times before I attempt again. Is there a way to load the hybrid into the OS before you add it on your berry? That would be sooooooo much easier because that is where I run into problems-----adding the hybrid. Also, does beweather work with the leaked OS and hybrid? I also use Poynt, FB and a few others but the two that I most need to work are QuickLaunch and BeWeather, since I paid for them.
    12-06-09 04:41 PM
    I use poynt, beweather, and bebuzz and they all work on my hybrid. I'm telling ya, and the op if they're still paying attention,

How to install a hybrid in 5 easy steps:

Step 1: download v6.5 of weeeeeeeedman's hybrid (it's in his v6 thread)
    Step 2: delete your 5.0 loader folder (usu. found in your Research In Motion/Shared folder) and replace it with the one provided in the downloaded file
    Step 3: Wipe your device with BB Swiss Army Knife (also conveniently provided)
    Step 4: Load 5.0 hybrid with whatever method you wanna use (bbsak,bbmaster, dm, etc)
    Step 5: Rejoice with your shiny new OS and get ready to fall in love with your bb all over again!
    12-06-09 06:16 PM
    I use poynt, beweather, and bebuzz and they all work on my hybrid. I'm telling ya, and the op if they're still paying attention,

How to install a hybrid in 5 easy steps:

Step 1: download v6.5 of weeeeeeeedman's hybrid (it's in his v6 thread)
    Step 2: delete your 5.0 loader folder (usu. found in your Research In Motion/Shared folder) and replace it with the one provided in the downloaded file
    Step 3: Wipe your device with BB Swiss Army Knife (also conveniently provided)
    Step 4: Load 5.0 hybrid with whatever method you wanna use (bbsak,bbmaster, dm, etc)
    Step 5: Rejoice with your shiny new OS and get ready to fall in love with your bb all over again!

Thanks I'm downloading all the goodies to install right now. If I have any issues I'll be sure to ask you guys. I hope it goes smoothly this time!
    12-06-09 08:34 PM
    Thanks I'm downloading all the goodies to install right now. If I have any issues I'll be sure to ask you guys. I hope it goes smoothly this time!
    Don't forget to backup your messages and address book.
    12-06-09 08:46 PM
    Don't forget to backup your messages and address book.
    Yeah, I always do a backup on DM when I do updates.....I know that's not the same as backing up your apps. I can back up my messages and 3rd party apps with BBSAK, right?
    12-06-09 09:07 PM
    Yeah, I always do a backup on DM when I do updates.....I know that's not the same as backing up your apps. I can back up my messages and 3rd party apps with BBSAK, right?
    I backup messages with DM and apps with BBSAK.
    12-06-09 09:41 PM
    I backup messages with DM and apps with BBSAK.
    Check, check. Backed up everything. Now I can't JL Commander to run so I can wipe my berry.

EDIT: Just wiped my berry.
    Last edited by sdnberry86; 12-06-09 at 09:54 PM.
    12-06-09 09:47 PM
    ..............I finally got rid of the 507 error. I think it's loading. And I think I did everything right this time. ooohhh I hope so. If not, anyone who has patience enough to talk a newbie through this feel free to add me on yahoo messenger (since the bb isn't bbm ready right now). yahoo: sdnaylor86
    12-06-09 10:43 PM
    sdnberry you are one brave person haha. I'd rather stick with 4.5 on my vzw 8330, i did try the 5.0 leak but no dice. maybe when i have just a few free hours to waste on getting a hybrid to work i might try it. Word is we 8330 users wont see an official 5.0 for a looooooong time...
    12-06-09 11:37 PM
    sdnberry you are one brave person haha. I'd rather stick with 4.5 on my vzw 8330, i did try the 5.0 leak but no dice. maybe when i have just a few free hours to waste on getting a hybrid to work i might try it. Word is we 8330 users wont see an official 5.0 for a looooooong time...
    This was my second try at a hybrid and it ran smoothly this time! My first attempt crashed and burned! I don't have his v6.5 hybrid yet, going to attempt that one tomorrow. I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to downloading leaked OS's and hybrids. This time around it was easier. I totally love it You should go for it! Just do what they say and back everything up on your computer in case you have to reload 4.5!
    12-07-09 02:16 AM
    This was my second try at a hybrid and it ran smoothly this time! My first attempt crashed and burned! I don't have his v6.5 hybrid yet, going to attempt that one tomorrow. I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to downloading leaked OS's and hybrids. This time around it was easier. I totally love it You should go for it! Just do what they say and back everything up on your computer in case you have to reload 4.5!
    Yyyyup i was able to pull it off without a hitch now i'm enjoying the 5.0 with Birdman's hybrid on it. I think i'm gonna stick with it still have all my apps n everything. I'd definitely recommend v6.5 to fellow 8330 users.
    12-14-09 02:35 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD