So I recently tried out a Droid and happily came back to my berry but I found an application that would scan and hold all of those crazy key chain bar codes on the phone so that you did not have to carry them on your keys... Does anyone know of an application like this for the blackberry... I hate to say it but it was probably one of the BEST things about the old phone and the only thing I really miss....

Help... please
    11-29-09 09:01 PM
    So I recently tried out a Droid and happily came back to my berry but I found an application that would scan and hold all of those crazy key chain bar codes on the phone so that you did not have to carry them on your keys... Does anyone know of an application like this for the blackberry... I hate to say it but it was probably one of the BEST things about the old phone and the only thing I really miss....

Help... please

The one I am waiting for is called cardstar. It is not yet available for blackberries, but their site says ut will be soon. I check it every day... www.mycardstar.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 10:02 PM
    Wonder if Crackberry could give some incentive on the development of this application......
    12-28-09 08:41 AM
    This app would be pretty sweet. Ralphs seems to always forget my # and I definitely don't want to carry around a bunch of supermarket cards.
    12-28-09 08:56 AM
    I know there used to be one for the S1. Try searching the S1 forum.

12-28-09 09:20 AM
    This isn't an application, but I am wondering if taking a really good, clear picture of the bar code and storing it on your memory card would have the same effect until something is released.
    12-28-09 10:54 AM
    This isn't an application, but I am wondering if taking a really good, clear picture of the bar code and storing it on your memory card would have the same effect until something is released.
    A simple app could pull up like quick launch, show a scroll panel on the side of the phone, allow you to select the store/merchant, and then display the image you took (or scanned with the phone's camera like on bbm).

I'd like to get rid of the crap on my keychain, come on somebody!
    01-04-10 11:28 AM
    I emailed the dev. I'd like this too. I'll let you know if they respond.
    01-04-10 12:24 PM
    I emailed the dev. I'd like this too. I'll let you know if they respond.
    Hi Robert,

Thank you for your interest in CardStar. On our website we are letting readers know that we are actively working on the expansion of the CardStar app for both Android and Blackberry. Our Android version is set to release within the next 3-6 months. Our focus on Android has put on hold our development of expanding to Blackberry and other mobile devices temporarily. As you can imagine there are number of issues that have to be addressed when expanding into a new platform and onto other mobile devices which use entirely different components and screen technology. We are actively working on our expansion to a number of devices which will be revealed in the coming months. We appreciate your ongoing interest in CardStar and are working to eventually reach all platforms and devices.

-Sashont

CardStar Support
    [email protected]
    01-04-10 01:24 PM
    thanks robnhl for doing some legwork, it looks like in all reality, the Cardstar for BB app wouldn't be available until around 2011. if it has to wait behind the Android version then it'll be a long time, bummer. maybe someone could write something like the one French and I talk about above... there is a new API for barcode reading, right? maybe we could petition the folks at edocrab too, they have a handle on the barcode scanning business...
    01-04-10 01:28 PM
    I liked the app when i had a G1 to test.. problem is.. the cheapest prices it used to give wasnt from websites i'd use so its kinda pointless.. i'll stick with google ing for prices from browser
    01-04-10 01:34 PM
    not sure you had the right topic Montage, we're looking to replace the keychain barcodes, not scan barcodes for cheaper prices...

I just hit up Steelthorn on twitter, trying to see if I get a response about them using their experience with edocrab (although I understand it does a different function) to write an app that scans your barcod on your keychain tags, then either regenerates it or another one that works all the same, but uses different barcode specifics (ie. like a 2D barcode, or different variation...)

Will let you all know if they respond...
    01-04-10 01:45 PM
    I emailed cardstar about a month ago and got about the same response and the other poster. Mine, however, did say they didn't anticipate the BB release for about 12 months!!! Boo I say!
    Kat

01-04-10 02:48 PM
    I just posted on the thread for Cardbank, similar to Cardstar, Froogloid, etc, and there is what I got from them...

happarently insulting their customer service and ability to respond on Twitter touches a nerve. I got 2 responses from @Cardbank. See below!

Response #1: I informed them I was disappointed in their customer service...
    "@gthoffman Actually we got on to twitter to improve customer service. As to porting to BB we are looking into it as well as Android."

Response #2: as for timing...
    "@gthoffman Unfortunately there is no definite time table at this particular moment..."

So there it is, no love for the BB from Cardbank, I doubt anyone else gets any luckier than that with the other apps...
    01-05-10 03:39 PM
    A simple app could pull up like quick launch, show a scroll panel on the side of the phone, allow you to select the store/merchant, and then display the image you took (or scanned with the phone's camera like on bbm).

I'd like to get rid of the crap on my keychain, come on somebody!
    I am going to give this a shot using my Nikon D90. If it works, I will create a submenu in QuickLaunch i.e. KeyCards. Then create a QL item for each keycard picture on my sd card for my submenu.

This would be great if it works... and yet one more practical use of QuickLaunch.
    01-05-10 04:21 PM
    Why not just give them your phone number? It works the same for me
    01-05-10 05:57 PM
    you can use phone numbers, if you have them attached to your account. we don't put our phone number down when we sign up, i don't want anyone unnecessary having my number, calling me trying to sell me something i don't need.

besides, you're missing the point! we don't want to put our phone numbers in even if they are attached, we want to use our smartphones to carry life's essential information :P
    01-06-10 08:11 AM
    kilofox. let us know if that works.
    01-06-10 10:39 AM
    i wonder instead of using a camera, if you could use a scanner? That would give you a more even image.
    01-06-10 11:46 AM
    I am going to give this a shot using my Nikon D90. If it works, I will create a submenu in QuickLaunch i.e. KeyCards. Then create a QL item for each keycard picture on my sd card for my submenu.

This would be great if it works... and yet one more practical use of QuickLaunch.

This is yet one more reason I won't leave Blackberry/Crackberry Nation. Users and abusers always figure out ways to make a Blackberry do anything ... even when I have no idea what they're talking about. In this case I'm rooting for you and your D90. (Especially since I also have a D90. Awesome camera.)

I went into the Verizon store last week to play with the Droid because my brother got one and says its the greatest phone ever. He was using a BB Curve before the switch, and I was trying to convince him to go with the Storm2, but he didn't and he's very happy he didn't ... and it irritates me to no end.

Anyway, I checked out the Droid and it was an exciting device, nonetheless. The associate I was talking with gave me a tour of her personal Droid and she showed me the Key Ring app. I was impressed, and now disappointed not to have the option on my Storm2.

I gotta say, I can't live without a Blackberry, but I'm not having a whole lot of fun with it lately. It seems as though the Storm2 is in limbo while a number of new devices are oozing with fun...

Oh, Blahhhhh
    01-06-10 08:40 PM
    Im gonna throw this idea out there...

Barcodes are just pictures set up so scanners can read the card # correct?

What if someone made an app that generates a barcode for you after you enter your member #? Then have a bunch of catagories you can organize yourself in.

Is that possible to make a barcode generator? So that way you don't have to even take a picture just enter a number and you have a sweet clean barcode ready for scanning

And for you guys wanting to scan or take a picture of your barcode, maybe try a generator online then save image as and copy to your device

Try this site Free Online Barcode Generator: Make a Custom Barcode in Seconds

Just an idea...
    01-06-10 09:38 PM
    I made my own keycards, only instead of using my D90, I used a flatbed scanner.

The scanned cards along with QuickLaunch makes a pretty good combo. I had the Droid prior to turning it in for the Storm2, and I must say that the Keycard App on the Droid was hit or miss. I think the culprit is the glass screen on the Droid which is more reflective than a plastic screen would be. I could never get my gym card to work with the Droid app... I suspect the same will be the case using the Storm.

After loading the scanning images on the Storm's media card, I created a Submenu item in QuickLaunch. A submenu is not necessary for those of you who are not familiar with QL, its just the way I wanted to organize QL for my use.

Then I just simply added the individual keycard pictures as a QL item in the Keycard submenu.

As you see below, when I activate QL the Keycard submenu is selectable along with my calling shortcuts.

After selecting the Keycard submenu, it's selectable items are available. These items are the scanned card images on the Storm's media card.

After selecting my BestBuy keycard the image is displayed for scanning. Please note that I purposely blurred the bar code and numbers in order to display on this forum.

I have not actually used this "in the field", I hope it works as I find using this with Quicklaunch to be more convenient and accessible than using a separate app on the Droid or Storm. I hope the Storm's glass screen doesn't interfere.
    Last edited by kilofox; 01-07-10 at 12:44 PM.
    01-07-10 08:24 AM
    very nice job Kilofox, now all I need to do is buy QL if it works . I am going to look into getting some good scans of my key cards, then see if the scanners pick them up. if they do then i'm all-in for buying QL. Will keep all in mind also. Can I move media from the media/image folder into a folder I make in the home menu? then I wouldn't need an app, just keep the folder handy... hmm.. anybody know if you can do that, will see if I can figure it out too...

as for the comments about generating a barcode, that is what one of the big jesusPhone apps does, you type in your number and it generates a new barcode for you. I like the idea of generating your own, saving the image, etc, so I will try that too and see if one works better than the other...
    01-07-10 08:35 AM
    as for the comments about generating a barcode, that is what one of the big jesusPhone apps does, you type in your number and it generates a new barcode for you. I like the idea of generating your own, saving the image, etc, so I will try that too and see if one works better than the other...
    I tried the link listed in a prior post and found that the bar code generated did not match the card I was trying to replicate. I tried adjusting the advanced settings and still was not getting a barcode that looked like mine.
    01-07-10 08:38 AM
    I would just like to keep this thread going. I find it very intriguing and "crack like". bump.
    01-07-10 09:42 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD