If I buy the 9700, they say the data plan is required but other people said that you can just have Unlimited Texting plan and you won't need it.

I called ATT and the guy said it is required and that the system would automatically add it.

Can anyone confirm that the plan is required if i buy the phone at the no-commitment price?
    11-28-09 03:41 PM
    I'm under the impression no matter how you purchase your device you are committed to use a data plan. There are quite a few threads on this.
    11-28-09 03:49 PM
    Is this true? I ordered from MobileCityonline.com for $570...if it is, i may as well just cancel and buy from ATT...

But what i heard was to buy it from a online retailer to avoid data plan. That is why i bought it online but i still need to know the answer.
    11-28-09 03:53 PM
    If you buy out right, you are not locked into anything. If you upgrade, you are required by contract to have data. All four major US carriers require this. T-Mobile has allowed wiggle room in some cases, but have heard nothing from the other three.

----------------
    Now playing: Bon Jovi - Superman Tonight
    via FoxyTunes
    11-28-09 04:01 PM
    K Bear, when you say "buy out right", do you mean buy no-commitment Blackberry 9700 From ATT or buy anywhere besides the ATT store (Online retailer such as MobileCityOnline)?
    Last edited by verticall; 11-28-09 at 04:04 PM.
    11-28-09 04:02 PM
    If you have an old phone, call up AT&T and tell them to update the IMEI number for your account to the one on the old phone. Then leave your SIM in your BB, and make sure to turn off anything that will use data. For example, you can go to:

Settings > Options > Security Options > Firewall

and block all incoming BIS and BES data (as well as SMS, MMS, and PIN messages).
    11-28-09 04:21 PM
    Is this true? I ordered from MobileCityonline.com for $570...if it is, i may as well just cancel and buy from ATT...

But what i heard was to buy it from a online retailer to avoid data plan. That is why i bought it online but i still need to know the answer.
    $570... WOW!

I guess it would save: $30x12 = $360 a year for the data plan, $5x12($60) for 200 text messages a month.

I guess, I took the extended payment plan paid $49 for phone and within a year I will get a new updated version 2011 model
    11-28-09 04:22 PM
    Yea but I'm still debating whether to go to ATT and buy the phone w no-commitment or stick with my online order since I am not sure if the no-commitment will let me get out of the data plan.
    11-28-09 04:23 PM
    K Bear, when you say "buy out right", do you mean buy no-commitment Blackberry 9700 From ATT or buy anywhere besides the ATT store (Online retailer such as MobileCityOnline)?
    Buy out right, as in full retail. The reason for the data commitment is in the details of the MIR. The discounted phones come at the cost of you maintaining a data plan.

----------------
    Now playing: BT - The Great Escape (Carmen Rizzo Mix)
    via FoxyTunes
    11-28-09 04:27 PM
    Guess I'm sticking w my online order then. Thanks.
    11-28-09 04:28 PM
    Guess I'm sticking w my online order then. Thanks.
    That is one heck of a lump sum to put down on a device that you are not going to use to its full potential. To each is own.
    11-28-09 04:30 PM
    tmo and full retail 489 = no data plan.
    11-28-09 04:31 PM
    Data plan is $30...not worth it. I love the design, GPS and the wifi pretty much.

Yes, other phones have these features but the Blackberry is the sexiest.
    11-28-09 04:33 PM
    Isn't the data plan required for GPS?
    11-28-09 04:47 PM
    11-28-09 04:50 PM
    i just order my 9700 from CS over the phone after going into the actual store and them telling me i HAD to have the data to upgrade.. pshhh i said no! Called customer service talked to loyalty and he said "you have unlimited texting plan for families that takes place of the data plan feature" i told him what the guy said in store and he told me in store may be different for things such as inventory. that made sense to me because every feature or add on you get insurance or anything looks better for the in store rep and store all together. he then quickly put my order in waived my activation fee and i should have it here tuesday!
    11-28-09 05:10 PM
    I called ATT and the guy said it is required and that the system would automatically add it.

Can anyone confirm that the plan is required if i buy the phone at the no-commitment price?
    The ATT guys is correct and why on earth would you want a Blackberry without a data plan anyway? If you can't afford it then a Blackberry is not for you.
    11-28-09 05:26 PM
    Data plan is $30...not worth it. I love the design, GPS and the wifi pretty much.

Yes, other phones have these features but the Blackberry is the sexiest.
    You need programs (google maps, blackberry maps ect...) that require data plans to use GPS. PLUS most 3RD party programs require a data plan to work via wifi. I repeat, Blackberrry isn't for you. If you do buy it you're in for a rude awakening when realize you can virtually do nothing with your 9700.
    11-28-09 05:30 PM
    Don't you need a data plan in order to receive emails on a BlackBerry?
    11-28-09 05:52 PM
    Don't you need a data plan in order to receive emails on a BlackBerry?
    In order to receive push email (what blackberries are famous for and can do the best) YES you need Blackberry Internet Service added to your account, there is no other way around it.
    11-28-09 05:57 PM
    not in my case. i bottom-fed off the system down-charge and got maps/email for free. Try ISTP.
    11-28-09 05:58 PM
    In order to receive push email (what blackberries are famous for and can do the best) YES you need Blackberry Internet Service added to your account, there is no other way around it.
    That's what I thought. I don't understand why so many people purchase a smartphone to use it like a regular phone. Makes no sense.
    11-28-09 05:58 PM
    HAHA from another site.

"
    Using a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry data plan is like buying a new Porsche 911 GT2 and then getting it serviced at Jiffy Lube instead of at the dealership. It's just plain stupid. If you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the service. Similarly, if you can afford the device, you should be able to afford the correct plan."
    11-28-09 06:54 PM
    Lol! @ above!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 06:58 PM
    HAHA from another site.

"
    Using a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry data plan is like buying a new Porsche 911 GT2 and then getting it serviced at Jiffy Lube instead of at the dealership. It's just plain stupid. If you can afford the car, you should be able to afford the service. Similarly, if you can afford the device, you should be able to afford the correct plan."
    Well said!
    11-28-09 07:13 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD