For users who have udated to the new .313 OS, are you annoyed with the new voice mail notification in the messages folder? We already have the typical VM indicator in the banner, why is it necessary to have two?

I have tried going through all of the options and can't find a way to turn off the notification for the messages folder. Does anyone now how to do this?
    11-28-09 12:30 PM
    firewall your SMS settings...
    11-28-09 01:04 PM
    get google voice!
    11-28-09 03:17 PM
    redundant redundant. what ya mean firewall sms casper??
    11-28-09 03:23 PM
    menu
    options
    security
    firewall......
    11-28-09 03:47 PM
    The problem with firewalling the SMS is that the off chance a real SMS comes in it will be blocked. There should be a more viable option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 05:05 PM
    the 8350i does not use sms for texting.
    11-28-09 05:12 PM
    I was more annoyed by the direct send info that always popped up.
    11-28-09 05:28 PM
    the 8350i does not use sms for texting.
    It does not use SMS to SEND texts.

11-28-09 05:31 PM
    YouMail is another option....that sheeat rocks, and it's free....holler!

11-28-09 06:10 PM
    It does not use SMS to SEND texts.

It doesn't use it to receive them either. SMS is only used for voicemail pages (IE, when your voicemail greeting is played there's "To page this person..."), things forwarded to [email protected], and extremely rare service-related messages, and the SMS gateway doesn't relay information about the message sender.
    11-28-09 06:36 PM
    Ok. So if u block sms it will only stop voicemail notification. not texts. What if someone sends an sms to me? does 8350i not receive it? does it come as mms? never knew difference.
    11-28-09 10:24 PM
    yes if someone sends you a SMS text you will get it as a MMS text.
    11-28-09 11:20 PM
    Doesn't it seem wrong that you get a sms for a voicemail notification but your phone isn't capable of SMS. More bullsh*t stuffed down our throats. Sure glad my SMS works with telus but I wish MMS worked

11-29-09 01:56 AM
    its whatever your service provider provides. i am glad that we do only MMS for text. we can send more and not have to break it up.

when i first got my iPhone, i could not MMS. i had to update it... then there was NO jailbreak for it then, so for about a month or so, no MMS, i HATED it
    11-29-09 08:46 AM
    Doesn't it seem wrong that you get a sms for a voicemail notification but your phone isn't capable of SMS. More bullsh*t stuffed down our throats. Sure glad my SMS works with telus but I wish MMS worked

Believe it or not, the "SMS" that you receive for VM notifications isn't actually an SMS, it's just the device misinterpreting the actual VM notification.
    11-29-09 03:07 PM
    menu
    options
    security
    firewall......
    Thanks Casper.
    11-29-09 07:20 PM
    no problem
    11-29-09 07:27 PM
    I tried the fix by using the firewall option to block SMS, well it did work but it also disables the pop up window you get, same as when you get a missed call, it also blocks any notifications you may have set, whether its a tone or vibrate when in holster.

So it looks like I have to deal with the voice mail notification in the messages folder, what a pain in the a$$. Do other BB OS's do this too?
    11-30-09 08:37 PM
    I tried the fix by using the firewall option to block SMS, well it did work but it also disables the pop up window you get, same as when you get a missed call, it also blocks any notifications you may have set, whether its a tone or vibrate when in holster.

So it looks like I have to deal with the voice mail notification in the messages folder, what a pain in the a$$. Do other BB OS's do this too?
    Not so much with recent updates, but a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for one of my BB's to start doing it. I've heard of some people having luck eliminating it by deleting and restoring their service books.
    12-03-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD