For those that ALMOST never use the physical keyboard, I'd be curious, what, if at any time, do you prefer it for?

As I fight the great (internal) debate on whether to wait.... I know that for some the physical keyboard is dead weight, and most use mainly the touch keyboard.

Does the Physical keyboard have anything that you like it for?

I'm not looking for your preferences, but only when you think the keyboard has an advantage

EDIT: during my in store testing I had problems with the top row of keys (not enough room), have you found this gets easier with practice?
    Last edited by hal1; 11-25-09 at 07:59 PM.
    11-25-09 06:08 PM
    The longer the message I'm about to send, the more I consider using the slide out keyboard.

I've grown from never using the keyboard at all and almost swearing off of it, to using it more and more frequently. After you get comfortable with it, it becomes easier to use. I mostly use it for long texts and emails, while for shorter texts and web browsing I use the virtual keyboard.
    11-25-09 06:21 PM
    Agree. I use mine for longer emails, especially when I want to see the paragraph I'm typing. I use the virtual for everything else that just require a quick response.
    11-25-09 06:40 PM
    Nintendo emulator, the D- pad rocks!!! gotta use the keyboard
    11-25-09 07:01 PM
    I was screwing around with it in VZ today and the first thing I noticed (from coming from the Storm) is the ability to start typing and google search starts working immediately. Hardware = hot keys. That's a plus in my book
    11-25-09 07:03 PM
    I don't think its dead weight just not used to physical keyboards. Sometimes I wish I didn't have the keyboard because it slides when I'm typing on virtual keyboard. That could just be my phone though.
    11-25-09 07:10 PM
    For me, its the fact that the onscreen kb is so good. Lol. Using the slideout kb though more and more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 07:53 PM
    During my in store testing I had problems with the top row of keys (not enough room), have you found this gets easier with practice?
    11-25-09 07:59 PM
    During my in store testing I had problems with the top row of keys (not enough room), have you found this gets easier with practice?
    Yeah, practice typing with your thumbnails instead of using the pads of your fingers. This will give you a little more clearance on the top row of keys because your thumbs will be straight up vs trying to squeeze in there and pressing with the middle (pad) of your thumbs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 08:12 PM
    before i got rid of mine when I would be on yahoo messenger i would use it because i would like to see what they were saying but also use a full keyboaqrd...its not that bad after a few hours of practice
    11-25-09 08:30 PM
    I never had an urge to use the physical keyboard, nor will I ever. It is just dead weight.
    11-25-09 11:18 PM
    I really like the physical keyboard. I like using it when I'm on the web (as I am right now), because you get to see the entire screen as you type, not just the top half or so. The one thing I would like to see added is auto-correct, because I do make the occasional spelling error.

One thing is for certain, the keyboard definitely gets easier with time.
    11-26-09 01:47 AM
    The keyboard is also great for asteroids....
    11-26-09 01:58 AM
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have the keyboard because it slides when I'm typing on virtual keyboard. That could just be my phone though.
    Thanks, but looking for input on the occasions when the keyboard IS preferred

I never had an urge to use the physical keyboard, nor will I ever. It is just dead weight.
    Thanks, but wondering when those of use who use the physical keyboard DO find an advantage to it.
    11-26-09 11:44 AM
    When entering text while browsing or in apps, you won't have a sw keyboard taking up a chunk of the beautiful screen. Especially in landscape mode.
    11-26-09 12:33 PM
    When browsing I sometimes have trouble tapping the link where I want to go next on the screen (it's easy to hit the wrong one with your finger) and so that's when the D-pad becomes awesome--just click your way around the page. I also use the physical keyboard whenever I'm going to type something long. But I'm hoping to get to be a better typist on the VK with time. I think I'm still kinda slow in touch screen typing mode.

I notice my teenage son always has the physical screen out when he's playing games.
    11-27-09 04:29 AM
    i use my keyboard to play sega and nintendo but thats about it
    11-27-09 09:40 AM
    I seldom use mine, was looking for a silicone case to keep it permanently closed... but during times when I need to type up some long emails, then I slide the kb out and use it. It's there anyways, but sometimes I forget that it's available for use
    11-27-09 11:16 AM
    Almost never use it but when I do, it is for my GBA Emulator. Also Gmote, as I like to be able to use the touchscreen as the mouse and the physical keyboard simultaneously.
    11-27-09 12:18 PM
    I must say. I generally don't use physical keyboards, but lately, I have been guilty of sliding the keyboard out every time I am in landscape. What a thing of beauty to not have the keyboard gobble up the screen. Plus, now that I am using it, it is quite nice and accurate. Unlike what many big blogs have said, droid owners know the keyboard isn't flat (almost)....we all feel the slightly convex buttons and know better. I still think the back lit gold is quite amazingly unique.
    11-27-09 02:57 PM
    Definetly when you have to type a longer message.
    11-27-09 03:15 PM
    I thought the keyboard would be dead weight on my DROID but I've grown to love it. Having the FULL screen when in landscape is great... especially with the DROIDS amazing screen!
    11-27-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD