I picked up a unlocked Bell Bold 9700 just a couple of days ago and I say this phone is wicked. I was a former iPhone user before then I made the jump for the Bold 9000. The Bold 1 was a good phone but I couldn't put up with the trackball issues so I jumped on the bold 2

So far the phone works pretty good but I am having a couple of problems in regards to the PUSH email service, FaceBook, and youtube.

I have a Hotmail account set up on my phone. Before my bold 9000 would instantly receives emails. But with the bold 9700, my hotmail inbox would receive the email, but the phone doesn't get it until 30 minutes after or more. Sometimes I don't even get to receive it on the phone at all. Through out the day I would have to send service books to my phone a couple of times just to keep up to date with my current emails. So I'm not quite sure what the issue is with this phone.

Second problem would have to be facebook. I'm pretty sure this is an known issue. Sometimes it would have trouble establishing a communication with the FaceBook server. Also notifications are delayed by alot. Before with my bold 9000, I get them right away, but in this case, it's delayed for hours, if not then I don't receive them at all.

Third problem is youtube. Being that I'm with the Fido carrier, I have a feeling that they might of blocked off youtube because I have been unable to watch any videos. Keep in mind I have the correct APN settings for Fido

If anyone can give any insight on these issues, that would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind this is a BlackBerry Bold 9700 from Bell which is unlocked to be used with the Fido carrier.

EDIT: Also updated to the latest firmware if that helps
    Last edited by Type_R_Nammer; 11-25-09 at 09:45 AM.
    11-25-09 09:36 AM
    Bump, anyone in the same situation?
    11-26-09 01:56 PM
    Well so far I resolved the email issue. Most likely it has to do with Hotmail, haven't pin point what it is though.

I switched to gmail and so far it's working

EDIT1: Now I'm not receiving any emails from any accounts
    Last edited by Type_R_Nammer; 11-26-09 at 08:06 PM.
    11-26-09 07:17 PM
    Try this:

Options
    Advanced Options
    Host Routing Table
    (Blackberry Button)
    Register Now

Also try deleting the email service books from your Bold, then go through the register now.
    Last edited by kccman; 11-26-09 at 08:18 PM.
    11-26-09 08:16 PM
    How'd you get youtube to work?
    11-26-09 09:33 PM
    Am on fido using the 9700 and youtube works.....
    What APN do you use?

The one I put in is:

APN: internet.fido.ca
    Password&username: fido

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 11:18 PM
    Awesome that works. Thanks
    11-26-09 11:36 PM
    Awesome that works. Thanks
    Same got the youtube working also.

Before I had the same settings before on my bold 9000 and it didn't work.

11-27-09 08:46 PM
    yes my bold 9000 couldnt play youtube with the same APN settings but my buddys 9000 could play it on Rogers... i dont know why that is.... it could be from some kind of programming override.... who knows....

Then again, Fido did change their SIM chip style.... or maybe Rogers released the choke hold on Fido, since Telus and Bell went with using SIM cards on top of their CDMA service, to keep customers....

Who knows....
    11-28-09 09:08 AM
    Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I don't have a blackberry plan but I have city fido with 6gb of data. I just got a Bold 9700 and now nothing works, literally. Email, Facebook, youtube, Maps, Opera mini... I put in the apn settings, still same result. Do I HAVE to have a blackberry plan? Please I really like this phone and don't want to go back to iphone.
    11-30-09 07:11 PM
    Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I don't have a blackberry plan but I have city fido with 6gb of data. I just got a Bold 9700 and now nothing works, literally. Email, Facebook, youtube, Maps, Opera mini... I put in the apn settings, still same result. Do I HAVE to have a blackberry plan? Please I really like this phone and don't want to go back to iphone.
    You HAVE to have a BlackBerry plan in order for you to use data on the phone. I lost my 6GB iPhone Data Plan when I switched to my BlackBerry 9700. Oh wells, I'm sure they'll come out with something like that again. Back to 1GB for BlackBerry it is!
    11-30-09 07:58 PM
    You HAVE to have a BlackBerry plan in order for you to use data on the phone. I lost my 6GB iPhone Data Plan when I switched to my BlackBerry 9700. Oh wells, I'm sure they'll come out with something like that again. Back to 1GB for BlackBerry it is!
    ok both rogers and fido users..you don't have to loose your 6gb plan to use blackberry. just ask for the blackberry option added to your existing 6gb data plan and you'll be fine! not converting to a blackberry plan allows you to use iphone or wm anytime as you like.

11-30-09 08:08 PM
    anyways, for TypeR Nammer, I have the same problem, my Bell 9700 on Fido, isn't receiving any emails at all

How did you fix yours?
    12-02-09 11:59 PM
    I have a bell 9700 on fido and I cant access my browser. Its says " your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries"
    I've tried resetting the Service books numerous times.

I have the 15 dollar unlimited fido berry messaging plan.

I want to use the browser on wi-fi but I guess fido doesn't allow it.

Does anyone know a solution to this???
    12-14-09 09:38 PM
    You will need to use a third party browser. Use Opera Mini 5 or Bolt
    12-14-09 09:48 PM
    Lostseoul, change your settings default browser to hotspot browser. That should allow u to use wifi browser.

12-14-09 10:32 PM
    Thanks Blue1K and nubgen but the problems is that I cannot install Opera 5 without a browser and my browser is already set to hotspot browser.....

Really can't seem to find a solution to this......
    12-17-09 01:30 AM
    I have an unlocked Bell 9700 on the fido network and it seems like im experiencing some reception fluctuations. I get full bars most of the time but every once in a while it'll just drop to like 1 bar and slowly crawl back up to full bars. Any of you experiencing this problem?
    12-17-09 01:37 AM
    Yes I have that too.

12-17-09 01:43 AM
    Thanks Blue1K and nubgen but the problems is that I cannot install Opera 5 without a browser and my browser is already set to hotspot browser.....

Really can't seem to find a solution to this......
    Sure you can. Download the cod file to your computer and then install through desktop manager. The beta is running great now on the 9700

12-17-09 01:45 AM
    Blue1s's way work or you can borrow a friend's sim card that has a data plan and download OTA to your phone.
    12-17-09 02:07 AM
    ok both rogers and fido users..you don't have to loose your 6gb plan to use blackberry. just ask for the blackberry option added to your existing 6gb data plan and you'll be fine! not converting to a blackberry plan allows you to use iphone or wm anytime as you like.

None of the reps I spoke to would allow me to do that. I tried 5 different times with different people and they said there is no way that they can add the BlackBerry BIS option to my 6GB iPhone plan. I would have to switch to 1GB BB Data for the same price. So I just did that. 1GB should be enough for BlackBerry.

Plus now that WIND Mobile has entered Canada, we shall see how quickly Rogers/Fido bend over backwards to keep their existing customers.
    12-17-09 02:32 PM
    So far neither Rogers nor Fido have plans to match Wind Mobile's voice / data packages. Let's hope the new year brings about some positive change otherwise I'll be moving over to Wind Mobile late next year when my Fido plan is up for renewal.
    The only issue keeping me from switching now is their limited Home Zone for Toronto which currently doesn't provide coverage north of Richmond Hill.
    12-25-09 12:59 PM
    i am also trying to figure out which smart phone to get
    01-30-10 10:02 AM
    Hey There
    I am a current FIDO customer that just picked up a Bell Bold 9700 that I unlocked. Phone works but i cannot setup email. The option is not there for the BIS setup. From what i can tell I need to add the $15 BB plan to my existing..if they will let me...and then setup an account on the BIS site in order to set up my personal email accounts. I already went ahead and changed my APN settings from the bell ones to the FIDO.
    Will this allow me to set up my personal emails?
    02-05-10 09:12 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD