Hi guys, this is my first time to post on this forum.

I became interested in Blackberry devices a couple of months ago. Came across Crackberry and did a lot of research and finally bought 9700 - my first ever Blackberry yesterday. What a great phone! Loving everything so far!

Well, actually everything except the trackpad. I got a wobbly one...
    When I went into the store yesterday, I was so sure that I was going to walk out with a perfect device. Like I said, I did a lot of research on this forum. I even wrote down a list of hardware issues I need to look for. First unit they gave me had a creaking bezel so I asked for another one (the manager didn't look too happy) and that's the one I have now. Seemed perfect at first but when I came home, I noticed that the trackpad wobbles a lot. Just like this . And it really bugs me...

I know that the best thing to do is to go back to the store and exchange it. But I go to Oberlin College in Ohio(very isolated), I don't have a car and the closest T-mobile store is about 35 minutes away. So what do you guys think I should do? Would this wobbly trackpad become even bigger an issue in the future? Should I try to get a ride back to the store and exchange it, or should I just live with it?
    11-24-09 09:54 AM
    I'm replacing my 2nd for the 3rd for trackpad issues. I have decided that I will just keep sending them back (within my 14 day buyer's remorse period) until I get one that works. If you wait until after that, then you will probably get a refurb.....and that is something I do not want after plunking down over $400.
    11-24-09 09:59 AM
    I think you should get the ride back and replace it. You'll be obsessing over the wobbly trackpad every day if you don't (if you're like me!) Maybe try and see if you can exchange via post?
    11-24-09 10:02 AM
    Here we go with another "I got a wobbly trackpad" thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 10:03 AM
    I think you should get the ride back and replace it. You'll be obsessing over the wobbly trackpad every day if you don't (if you're like me!) Maybe try and see if you can exchange via post?
    The truth is there's probably nothing wrong with the OP's trackpad. What we have here is mass hysteria brought about by a few OCD people that expect absolutely no play in their trackpad (it's a button in reality). It's a button and some play is expected but then again what do I know?

11-24-09 10:07 AM
    The truth is there's probably nothing wrong with the OP's trackpad. What we have here is mass hysteria brought about by a few OCD people that expect absolutely no play in their trackpad (it's a button in reality). It's a button and some play is expected but then again what do I know?

Some people do have thinks that shouldn't be going on. The trackpad shouldn'T tilt, or click, or grate, and the keyboard should light up brightly.

What we have here is not mass hysteria. What we have here is a company selling 600 dollar phones that are less soundly built than my Nintendo DS. And that's worth complaining about.
    11-24-09 10:13 AM

There is some truth to that statement
    11-24-09 10:16 AM
    There is some truth to that statement
    It's like someone yelling fire in a crowded movie theatre.

11-24-09 10:19 AM
    @JD914

Well, I understand that it's a button and it probably has to move a little but didn't someone on this forum called RIM and said that they are very concerned that it moves? Mine wobbles a lot and it feels kind of unstable when I use it. Imagine if the trackpad on your notebook did that. It's like sitting on a chair with a missing foot.
    11-24-09 11:11 AM
    Anyway, if the tight trackpads are gonna loosen up over time, then I might as well keep this one. Any thoughts on that?
    11-24-09 11:14 AM
    A button might wobble some but not the whole pad where the button resides. That wobble should not be there. It's a manufacturing defect, plain and simple. If enough people complain and return their devices maybe they will start paying more attention to their manufacturing quality. If you just shrug your shoulders and keep your creaky, wobbly devices, guess what? They will keep making them just like that.
    11-24-09 11:26 AM
    Some people do have thinks that shouldn't be going on. The trackpad shouldn'T tilt, or click, or grate, and the keyboard should light up brightly.

What we have here is not mass hysteria. What we have here is a company selling 600 dollar phones that are less soundly built than my Nintendo DS. And that's worth complaining about.
    I'm going to say it's a bit of both. Sure there are people with legit issues (like the youtube video) but it's undeniable that people can be influenced by what they hear/read/see and it may sway them to believe their not-so-wobbly trackpad or what-have-you is exponentially worse than it actually is.

And to compare the build quality to a nintendo DS is just stupid because not everyone has the problem so the build quality for some is not in question.

Lets also not forget that CrackBerry forums does NOT in anyway represent the ENTIRE blackberry scene. And for each person that complains there's someone that isn't complaining.

If your stuff is messed up take it back. ******** on here doesn't fix anything.

All these damn threads are a waste of everyones time.

Havraha, my references to "you" I'm not speaking to you I'm just using it in general
    11-24-09 12:25 PM
    @JD914

Well, I understand that it's a button and it probably has to move a little but didn't someone on this forum called RIM and said that they are very concerned that it moves? Mine wobbles a lot and it feels kind of unstable when I use it. Imagine if the trackpad on your notebook did that. It's like sitting on a chair with a missing foot.
    It's a button don't compare it to a trackpad on a notebook...sheesh!

11-24-09 12:33 PM
    If your stuff is messed up take it back. ******** on here doesn't fix anything.

All these damn threads are a waste of everyones time.
    Thank you!!!!

END OF THREAD
    11-24-09 12:40 PM
    It's a button don't compare it to a trackpad on a notebook...sheesh!

This trackpad and laptop trackpads are both optical no?
    11-24-09 12:40 PM
    my nds d pad wobbles too

my laptop trackpad isnt a button, i tap on it to make a left click

my 9700 trackpad is a button i press it to confirm action
    11-24-09 12:42 PM
    This trackpad and laptop trackpads are both optical no?
    Trackpads on laptops are built into the computer and are stationary PLUS there are left and right click buttons that arent part of the track pad...........the trackpad on the 9700 acts as both and as a result of it being a button that act as a trackpad somewhat shifts and has a little bit of play.
    Last edited by JD914; 11-24-09 at 01:04 PM.
    11-24-09 12:47 PM
    Hi guys, this is my first time to post on this forum.

I became interested in Blackberry devices a couple of months ago. Came across Crackberry and did a lot of research and finally bought 9700 - my first ever Blackberry yesterday. What a great phone! Loving everything so far!

Well, actually everything except the trackpad. I got a wobbly one...
    When I went into the store yesterday, I was so sure that I was going to walk out with a perfect device. Like I said, I did a lot of research on this forum. I even wrote down a list of hardware issues I need to look for. First unit they gave me had a creaking bezel so I asked for another one (the manager didn't look too happy) and that's the one I have now. Seemed perfect at first but when I came home, I noticed that the trackpad wobbles a lot. Just like this . And it really bugs me...

I know that the best thing to do is to go back to the store and exchange it. But I go to Oberlin College in Ohio(very isolated), I don't have a car and the closest T-mobile store is about 35 minutes away. So what do you guys think I should do? Would this wobbly trackpad become even bigger an issue in the future? Should I try to get a ride back to the store and exchange it, or should I just live with it?
    You and everyone else got a wobbler sweetheart. I'ts the way they are. If its not wobbling now it will in 2 weeks. Move on.
    11-24-09 12:52 PM
    I'm replacing my 2nd for the 3rd for trackpad issues. I have decided that I will just keep sending them back (within my 14 day buyer's remorse period) until I get one that works. If you wait until after that, then you will probably get a refurb.....and that is something I do not want after plunking down over $400.
    HELLO? Your wasting your time. They all wobble move on, or buy an IPhone.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 11-24-09 at 01:01 PM.
    11-24-09 12:54 PM
    They all wobble move on, buy an IPhone.
    Mine also "wobbles" but I'm smart enough to know that most buttons on cell phones wobble to a certian extent. Because it's called a "trackpad" many are under the impression that like a laptops trackpad it should be rock solid with no movement what so ever. The bottom line is that it's a button, buttons move when u press them and in this case left to right and up to down when you swipe it.
    11-24-09 01:01 PM
    Well, I have a Macbook so the trackpad is also a button.
    Anyway, I just wanted to know if tight ones will loosen up as well. If yes, I'll keep mine. If not, I'll exchange it. Bettermost says yes, so fine, I'll keep mine. That's all I wanted to know.

Just asking for opinions here. Why does everyone sound so annoyed and condescending? Some people want their devices to be perfect. Some don't care as much. If you're tired of trackpad threads then just ignore them. Nobody forces you to respond to every single thread on the forum.
    11-24-09 04:48 PM
    1st one = indented trackpad, camera rattle
    2nd one = squeaky buttons, camera rattle
    3rd one = indented trackpad, loose chrome bessel, squeaky keys, camera rattle and loose bottom plastic piece between keys and bottom chrome bessel.

took my money back, going to wait for next few shipments

Can anyone tell me if there camera is rattling as well, sounds like something is loose.
    11-25-09 08:29 PM
    Hi friends,

I've become pretty interested with all these wobbly trackpad thingy so I checked some of the youtube vids..

Well after observing the vids, I came into the conclusion that yes it's wobbly but not that bad. I've been using Samsung i780 - a device with a trackpad as well - and it's also wobbles a bit. But using it for 2 years for now, i can say that the trackpad doesn't degrades or wobbles more. it just stays like that since day 1, and still completely usable.

Probably the better thing to obvserve here is whether it's tilted / sunken a bit on one of the sides or edges.. It's not supposed to be like that, i believe.

My conclusion here is that due to the nature of the thing, somehow the optical trackpad is more "wobbly" than normal buttons. As long as it does not wobble more than around 0.5 mm, I think it's pretty ok?

Just my 2 cents =)
    Last edited by SilentSeth; 11-25-09 at 09:23 PM.
    11-25-09 09:18 PM
    1st one = indented trackpad, camera rattle
    2nd one = squeaky buttons, camera rattle
    3rd one = indented trackpad, loose chrome bessel, squeaky keys, camera rattle and loose bottom plastic piece between keys and bottom chrome bessel.

took my money back, going to wait for next few shipments

Can anyone tell me if there camera is rattling as well, sounds like something is loose.
    Hi,

My Rogers 9700 is similar to your number 3 except for the camera rattiling!
    Its really bad how doesnt have better quality control!
    I'll be returning it to Rogers tomorrow! If my second 9700 has issues with the trackpad, i think I will just go ahead and do the scotch tape solution!
    Sucks how a piece of scotch tape is needed to resolve a $600 Blackberryue issue!
    Last edited by wiki_warren; 02-04-10 at 07:25 PM.
    02-04-10 07:21 PM
    Mine dose not wobble at all, it feels like every other "button" on the keyboard

02-04-10 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD