Hey guys, I have done extensive searching to try and find out if and where there may be a step by step process on how to install the latest OS which I believe is 5.0.0.328. I am currently running Desktop manager version 5.0.1.18 and have version 5.0.0.191 on my 9350. here is what I have done so far.....

I went to the Verison site and downloaded what I thought was the correct software from the verison site by the name of 9530AMEA_PBr5_1_.0.0_rel508_PL4.2.0.128_A5.0.0.328

I then went into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files and removed the files from a previously downloaded version 5.0.0.191 which since I have installed has been nothing but problems for me.

I then installed the new version in my PC and tried to install it into my BB, everything seemed to be going perfect until my phone keeps rebooting, then every time I plug it in to my PC it needs to install the drivers, my manager will not open it up till I physically open it and then I have to unplug it from the PC or it will keep rebooting, I have managed to try and get it to update and attempt to install and it seems to start up the process when I get the message in my Desktop manager saying " The system applications that are currently installed on your device are newer than those available with this version of the BB Device Software" and then I have nowhere to go from there, ANY HELP FOR THIS SOMEWHAT NEWBIE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    11-23-09 11:19 PM
    Moving to OS Discussion! Use the CX's Guide to Updating your OS in my sig
    11-23-09 11:25 PM
    Don't forget to use the uninstall in the control pannel. Just deleating the files in the folder may not get everything. Uninstall all the OS'e on your comp, then reinstall the OS5.0.0.328. Delete Vender.xml then use the Loader.exe file in the blackberry folder. Follow CX's guide in PK's sig file above. It is what i have always used for all my upgrades/downgrades. You may also find using BBSAK to wipe the os from your Storm then installing the new os helps too.

Good luck and let the system have th time it needs to complete, DON"T RUSH the install. It will work
    11-23-09 11:57 PM
    how did you download the verizon os?

don't you need a verizon number?
    11-24-09 01:26 AM

You technically should... but I usually just punch in 123-456-7890 and it puts be through to the next few screens for me to download.
    11-24-09 10:01 AM

I'm on Telus and I've been on Verizon's .328 since release. It's easy to get the download when there are download mirrors like Rapid Share and Megaupload around. As long as you delete the vendors.xml file, than it should work for any carrier. Files are files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Zanshin-; 12-01-09 at 07:40 PM.
    11-24-09 07:31 PM
    If you still have problems installing the os after you have deleted the vendor.xml file, exit out of Desktop manager, and then disconnect the internet to that computer... Fire up desktop manager again, and it should work fine..
    11-24-09 09:03 PM
    I just bought the Storm 2, and love it. I now have a Storm 1 that I would like to pass on to someone else. It is off network, and has been wiped. I want to install Firmware 5 (It is a Telus phone as well). When I follow the instructions (CX's 101 course), it only shows App World, and Messenger as the things getting updated. I also tried disabling my internet connection and trying the process again... no luck. Any ideas?
    12-01-09 08:37 AM
    YouAintTheHost, that's correct. Additional applications such as Facebook and Windows Live Messenger have to be downloaded and reinstalled after the installation.

If your passing the phone on though, unless it's a close friend, I'd strongly recommend putting it on the official 4.7.0.122 so that they can get support from Telus if they need it. They can always choose to upgrade themselves if preferred.
    12-01-09 08:56 AM
    I think you mis-understood me. I am trying to upgrade to firmware 5.0. It is not working at all.

No worries. I think I will take your advice, pass it on, and when Telus releases the Over the Air update, then it will be upgraded.

Thanks.
    12-01-09 09:40 AM
    Oh, I see. You're trying to update using BlackBerry Desktop Manager? I'd recommend updating using the Loader.exe file for the upgrade instead. It's available in the same folder as where you need to delete the Vendor.xml file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader).
    12-01-09 03:44 PM
    I just followed the instructions and wala done i have os 5.0.
    I uninstalled eveything to do with blackberry then installed the verizon 5.0 on my computer then opened the rim folder deleted the Vendor.xml file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader).
    then exicuted the loader.exe
    done phone upgraded.
    12-02-09 02:15 PM
    I have tried everything to the T that you all have suggested
    ( I’m not yelling at anyone here because you all are obviously the brains compared to me ,
    im simply frustrated and have been trying this upgrade for 2 weeks now.
    Heres my issue -
    computer os = vista home premium
    Blackberry = 9530 , Os v4.7.0.75 Platform 4.0.0.94 (official file from verizon)
    Carrier = Cricket ( flashed/unlocked BB)
    I downloaded and installed the new OS 5.0.0.328 (platform 4.2.0.128) to my pc as directed from the instructions of How to upgrade os with apploader -

I went to the Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader
    �� Delete the vendor.xml
    I made sure i was not connected to the internet when installing and also tried installing when connected and on both instances when I opened the Apploader from same folder, it does not see the New OS that I installed? Why ?
    01-23-10 05:07 PM
    I posted this for a couple of other users and it worked for them and should also work for you:

Try downloading an application called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) and install it to your computer.

Then, do the following. Go to your computer's Control Panel and uninstall any other BlackBerry Device Software except the one you want. At the end, you should only have 5.0.0.328 installed on your computer.

Next, back up your phone using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Close the Desktop Manager after.

Open BBSAK and if your BB has a password, enter it and click OK. Otherwise, just click OK. Once you've opened BBSAK, click on the Load OS button. This will delete all versions of the Vendor.xml file and will open the Loader.exe file for you to proceed with the installation.

This should work fine. The problem is that if you've tried using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager at all to do the upgrade is that it creates another version of the Vendor.xml file somewhere on your computer that isn't very easy to find and which explains why it wouldn't work even when you tried the Loader.exe file yourself - you still had a version of the Vendor.xml file somewhere. The above method should fix things for you.
    01-23-10 06:26 PM
    I tried the process described below and it didn't work for me. I get the message :
    The blackberry desktop does not have the Blackberry Device Software that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless provider.

I posted this for a couple of other users and it worked for them and should also work for you:

Try downloading an application called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) and install it to your computer.

Then, do the following. Go to your computer's Control Panel and uninstall any other BlackBerry Device Software except the one you want. At the end, you should only have 5.0.0.328 installed on your computer.

Next, back up your phone using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Close the Desktop Manager after.

Open BBSAK and if your BB has a password, enter it and click OK. Otherwise, just click OK. Once you've opened BBSAK, click on the Load OS button. This will delete all versions of the Vendor.xml file and will open the Loader.exe file for you to proceed with the installation.

This should work fine. The problem is that if you've tried using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager at all to do the upgrade is that it creates another version of the Vendor.xml file somewhere on your computer that isn't very easy to find and which explains why it wouldn't work even when you tried the Loader.exe file yourself - you still had a version of the Vendor.xml file somewhere. The above method should fix things for you.
    01-23-10 11:48 PM
    Quick overview how to upgrade.
    1.download os you want and install it delete vendor.xml file also make sure new dm is installed
    2.back up ur bb using dm
    3. Connect bb to pc wipe your phone using bbsak or any other program
    4.In the same folder where u deleted vendor file look for the apploader then run that should detect ur phone automatically continue thru the the installer and install os.
    5. Usually like 10 mins later its done installing. Then proceed to restore your bb with the backup u made earlier.

This is a quick overview of the steps. Hope it helps somewhat.

01-24-10 12:14 AM
    Thanks. It finally worked. I had to wipe the blackberry using bbsak. I was very hesitant to wipe it as many others from other forums got the white screen of death after wiping. After I clicked the "wipe handheld", it only took a minute to finish wiping. I got the white screen with an icon in the middle asking to load OS. I then clicked "Load OS" on bbsak and the process finally began.

5 minutes later, I finally have OS5 on my Telus Storm 9530. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Quick overview how to upgrade.
    1.download os you want and install it delete vendor.xml file also make sure new dm is installed
    2.back up ur bb using dm
    3. Connect bb to pc wipe your phone using bbsak or any other program
    4.In the same folder where u deleted vendor file look for the apploader then run that should detect ur phone automatically continue thru the the installer and install os.
    5. Usually like 10 mins later its done installing. Then proceed to restore your bb with the backup u made earlier.

This is a quick overview of the steps. Hope it helps somewhat.

01-25-10 11:19 PM
    Its simple once you know what to do

01-25-10 11:23 PM
    i had to wipe too before i could get it to work
    03-23-10 09:30 PM
    email [email protected] they will help
    03-23-10 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD