I was just wondering if it is possible to replace the trackball unit on a VZW Tour with the touch sensor unit from the new Bold.... Yes, I'm one of those experiencing the crappy trackball issue with the Tour (along with EVERY user I have gotten one for)

SB
    11-23-09 08:38 PM
    I am going to go on limb here and say no. Also I will mention that if you find a way, you just voided your warranty
    11-23-09 08:39 PM
    that would be sick.
    i bet some blackberry repair shop could do that for you
    11-23-09 08:40 PM
    Yeah, it would be cool if a company would come up with a conversion kit.
    11-23-09 08:42 PM
    It would be cool to be able to do it on your own. Did you find somewhere to buy one? Has anyone used one for that matter? I have never used or even seen one other than the videos. I wonder how well they work. I like the look of the trackball better but the damn things are flaky sometimes, at least on Tours.
    11-23-09 08:47 PM
    If its the same one used on the tour 2, the answer would be no. The assembly is bigger and if you read the thread on the differences between the 2 tours, one of the noticeable differences is the bottom row of keys. there smaller than the tour due to the track pad being larger...Plus the ball is round and the back and menu keys are curved to fit around it. The track pad is square...

search for "salomondrin's Tour2 (essex) overview" and read the third post,,,, for some reason links are not posting right..
    Last edited by dave3825us; 11-23-09 at 09:10 PM.
    11-23-09 09:04 PM
    It would be cool to be able to do it on your own. Did you find somewhere to buy one? Has anyone used one for that matter? I have never used or even seen one other than the videos. I wonder how well they work. I like the look of the trackball better but the damn things are flaky sometimes, at least on Tours.
    The trackpad is just plain awsome compared to the trackball. Once you try it, you will hate your trackball!

To OP, the answer is impossible.
    11-23-09 09:10 PM
    I would like to see the inside of a bold 9700 because the inside of the tour where the trackball is is square a side by side comparison would be nice
    11-23-09 09:16 PM
    The Bold and Tour are two different devices, so no. I doubt RIM would design their phones/parts for this to be possible, they want people to upgrade to a new phone, not just buy a part to make the old as good as new.
    11-23-09 09:38 PM
    Well, upgrade from a tour to a bold is impossible, since they run on different networks. (The Bold was never available on CDMA VZW)... BUT, the new Bold appears to be the same form factor as the Tour.... I was just wondering if the assembly would be interchangeable.... many times manufacturers just change out minor assemblies, I didn't know if someone had figured out if the trackpad was interchangeable on that chassis.... sounds like no.... would be nice though!
    11-23-09 10:13 PM
    I would like to see the inside of a bold 9700 because the inside of the tour where the trackball is is square a side by side comparison would be nice
    I have tour pics but the bold 9700 pics are not posted yet.

Tour 9630 internal photos

Bold 9700 Internal photos internal photos not available
    11-23-09 10:25 PM
    Well, upgrade from a tour to a bold is impossible, since they run on different networks. (The Bold was never available on CDMA VZW)... BUT, the new Bold appears to be the same form factor as the Tour.... I was just wondering if the assembly would be interchangeable.... many times manufacturers just change out minor assemblies, I didn't know if someone had figured out if the trackpad was interchangeable on that chassis.... sounds like no.... would be nice though!
    The new Bold is smaller than the Tour, New Bold is the same size as the Curve 8900
    11-23-09 10:26 PM
    I would imagine some parts would be universal but I am sure the main circuit boards are very different between the 2.
    11-23-09 10:27 PM
    The trackpad is just plain awsome compared to the trackball. Once you try it, you will hate your trackball!

To OP, the answer is impossible.

^This. I want a tour 2 now :-(
    11-24-09 09:51 AM
    New stuff comes out all the time. Nature of the electronics world. Win some, lose some. Would I prefer the trackpad and wifi??? Probably. But will it change my overall blackberry experience??? NO At the end of the day it's still a blackberry and we have Tours that are fantastic communication devices.
    11-24-09 11:18 PM
    You could always try it and let us know how it goes.
    11-24-09 11:56 PM
    I would imagine that the software that is specific to the operation of the trackball vs the touchpad is different also. So not only are you looking at hardware changes, you would also need to rewrite the software.
    I'm gonna say no on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 12:43 AM
    I would imagine some parts would be universal but I am sure the main circuit boards are very different between the 2.
    The trackpads circuit board and its connection to the mother board are similar in design as the trackboads. Hey I'm up for the challenge and will try this on Monday. But as previously posted it may be able to connect to the motherboard...but there may be a software issue.

11-25-09 01:39 AM
    The trackpads circuit board and its connection to the mother board are similar in design as the trackboads. Hey I'm up for the challenge and will try this on Monday, I have a 9700 scheduled for a custom bezel. As soon as I get it ill open it and compare the connections, But as previously posted it may be able to connect to the motherboard...but there may be a software issue.

11-25-09 01:42 AM
    I think that if the 9700 keyboard will fit, and the trackpad will plug in to the slot that the track ball sensor uses you should be good to go. At least I hope so.

Good Luck
    11-30-09 12:11 AM
    i would like to know how this turns out
    11-30-09 12:23 AM
    ^Same here, that would be awesome if you could get it to work. Good luck b4k3d. I would assume there would be software issues with the hardware swap.
    11-30-09 03:44 AM
    Any updates on this? I'm going to have to return to my Tour because of the way Sprint is handling the rebates... it might be worth tinkering with
    06-10-10 12:35 PM
    DO you think that if it was possible or feasible that someone would not have chimed in by now?
    06-10-10 02:04 PM
    Yeah, it would be cool if a company would come up with a conversion kit.
    Silly...then RIM would lose $$$ they stand to get when we have no choice but to upgrade our phones!
    06-11-10 05:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD