After much expectation, today I received by FedEx the package that I thought contained my new BlackBerry Bold 9700.

To my surprise, the 9700 box included everything but the phone and the battery. Both the package and the 9700 box were sealed. I discovered that the clear seal on the 9700 box can be easily lifted and reaffixed without leaving a mark. In all probability, the phone was stolen at the AT&T warehouse.

I reported it to AT&T and tech support assured me that the stolen phone could not be activated on the AT&T network, but just in case, the IMEI and PIN of the stolen BlackBerry Bold 9700 are as follows:

IMEI: 357360030514274

PIN: 2161B9C9

I hope that the thief gets into some trouble or, at least, ends-up with a useless toy.
    11-23-09 07:19 PM
    Figures!
    Thats some BS though, can't believe someone would do that.
    I'm going to assume they are going to send you a replacement though right?
    Hopefully!
    11-23-09 07:27 PM
    Seems like you can't trust anyone these days. I hope they are able to track down the person that did it......
    11-23-09 08:16 PM
    when you get your new phone you should put that pin in and see if someone accepts it!
    11-23-09 08:18 PM
    Damn thieving little sons of beaches.........it sucks to hear that but you'll be up and running soon. AT&T sending a new phone out overnight?
    11-23-09 08:22 PM
    They can activate the phone. If they had a BB already, they just pop their SIM in, and if AT&T didnt report the PIN to RIM, then they can do a switch device on their BIS account. No way to block a GSM phone from voice anyway. Pop the SIM in and go
    11-23-09 08:26 PM
    Wow!! Sorry to hear that your phone got stolen. People can be evil sometimes.
    My niece had her little cheapy phone stolen at school too.
    11-23-09 08:29 PM
    Damn thieving little sons of beaches.........it sucks to hear that but you'll be up and running soon. AT&T sending a new phone out overnight?
    AT&T is sending me a new phone overnight at no additional charge. But it took some convincing. The customer service representative told me that I had to wait for an investigation that could take four to five days. The veiled implication of an investigation is that I could be involved in wrongdoing --which I did not appreciate (I have been an AT&T customer since 1991). However, a supervisor decided to send me a new phone right away.
    11-23-09 08:35 PM
    I sent a request. Nothing yet.
    11-23-09 09:35 PM
    happend to me last year with my bold cept the battery was in the box so i kept it as a perk
    11-23-09 10:37 PM
    I had a Dell laptop same situation. Empty box was retaped on the bottom before it was shipped.
    11-23-09 11:46 PM
    happend to me last year with my bold cept the battery was in the box so i kept it as a perk
    I received my replacement phone today. They sent me a "sealed" 9700 box with the phone, battery, Quickstart booklet and BlackBerry User Tools CD package. The holster, AC adapter, USB cable and headphones were missing. I should have no complaints because I had those from the previous shipment.

However, it bothers me that a box that appears to be sealed can be tampered with because the clear seal can be so easily removed and reaffixed. When I get a new phone I like to have the confidence that I am getting a "factory-fresh" package. BlackBerry and AT&T can do better with the packaging.

Besides, who has the holster, AC adapter, USB cable and headphones that were removed from my box? I wonder...
    Last edited by ecustomer; 11-24-09 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo
    11-24-09 03:18 PM
    Everyone should send a friend request on BBM...if they have it at least make them annoyed by it

I've done my part...LOL
    11-24-09 03:29 PM
    Besides, who has the holster, AC adapter, USB cable and headphones that were removed from by box? I wonder...
    Probably the same guy that has the OP's phones
    11-24-09 03:30 PM
    Everyone should send a friend request on BBM...if they have it at least make them annoyed by it

I've done my part...LOL
    Great idea. Thanks!
    11-24-09 03:45 PM
    Because the phone and battery was missing does that mean it was STOLEN? Could be a number of possibilities. Just saying, and you're now saying that there were pieces also missing from the replacement? Hmmmm
    11-24-09 04:10 PM
    Added...still pending!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 05:16 PM
    Because the phone and battery was missing does that mean it was STOLEN? Could be a number of possibilities. Just saying, and you're now saying that there were pieces also missing from the replacement? Hmmmm
    Agreed, seems like an illogical conclusion to jump to that it was stolen by someone in the warehouse. Why would an employee steal a phone, that makes no sense they get them dirt cheap with their dirt cheap plans for working for ATT.

Maybe they were doing something with it programming wise and forgot to put it back in the box!!! There are thousands of phones in their going in out, its possible the box was sealed and the phone just not put back in it.

I dont think there's any such thing as "factory sealed" I believe ATT puts the SIM card in the box themselves if needed. I cant imagine RIM's plant does this for them.
    11-24-09 06:07 PM
    Agreed, seems like an illogical conclusion to jump to that it was stolen by someone in the warehouse. Why would an employee steal a phone, that makes no sense they get them dirt cheap with their dirt cheap plans for working for ATT.

Maybe they were doing something with it programming wise and forgot to put it back in the box!!! There are thousands of phones in their going in out, its possible the box was sealed and the phone just not put back in it.

I dont think there's any such thing as "factory sealed" I believe ATT puts the SIM card in the box themselves if needed. I cant imagine RIM's plant does this for them.
    The 9700 is my fourth BlackBerry and I have not known of AT&T "programming" a BlackBerry phone prior to shipment. In this case a SIM card was not needed and no SIM card was placed in the box. My point is that there was no need to open the box to have the box shipped. Then, why was it opened?
    11-24-09 08:25 PM
    The 9700 is my fourth BlackBerry and I have not known of AT&T "programming" a BlackBerry phone prior to shipment. In this case a SIM card was not needed and no SIM card was placed in the box. My point is that there was no need to open the box to have the box shipped. Then, why was it opened?
    I sent a PIN friend request also...but changed my name to "Theft Division". Sorry to hear...that sucks.
    11-24-09 08:47 PM
    No idea, but jumping to an employee stole it without a any basis or evidence is kind of silly. Couldve just been a mistake. **** RIM couldve screwed up and packed an empty box. Things happen on automated assembly lines, its never 100% foolproof.

I can tell you for a fact that although my box had a clear round sticker sealing it, my order also came with a new SIM right on the order sheet meaning ATT put it in there then sealed the box themselves. The only way that SIM "credit card" piece that you pop the SIM out of got in the box if they all dont come with them is if ATT added it then sealed the box with the sticker. They clearly dont seal the boxes at the factory.

An employee 1) would be pretty stupid to steal a phone when they know you know the IMEI and PIN from the order sheet, and 2) they get phones dirt cheap or free anyways. I dont see any motivation for an employee to have stolen it.

Point being is there are lots of rational possibilities other than "omg some ATT employee thief stole it" Youve NEVER EVER gotten a product missing a piece or mispacked? Cmon. I got a $1400 LCD TV that was missing the baggy with the cord and remote. You say how hard is it, theres only 2 things in the box- the TV and the baggy of cords, remote, instructions. People make mistakes in mass production!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-24-09 at 10:11 PM.
    11-24-09 09:53 PM
    No idea, but jumping to an employee stole it without a any basis or evidence is kind of silly. Couldve just been a mistake. **** RIM couldve screwed up and packed an empty box. Things happen on automated assembly lines, its never 100% foolproof.

I can tell you for a fact that although my box had a clear round sticker sealing it, my order also came with a new SIM right on the order sheet meaning ATT put it in there then sealed the box themselves. The only way that SIM "credit card" piece that you pop the SIM out of got in the box if they all dont come with them is if ATT added it then sealed the box with the sticker. They clearly dont seal the boxes at the factory.

An employee 1) would be pretty stupid to steal a phone when they know you know the IMEI and PIN from the order sheet, and 2) they get phones dirt cheap or free anyways. I dont see any motivation for an employee to have stolen it.

Point being is there are lots of rational possibilities other than "omg some ATT employee thief stole it" Youve NEVER EVER gotten a product missing a piece or mispacked? Cmon. I got a $1400 LCD TV that was missing the baggy with the cord and remote. You say how hard is it, theres only 2 things in the box- the TV and the baggy of cords, remote, instructions. People make mistakes in mass production!
    OK. I understand that there are other possibilities to a phone missing from the box which include error in packaging at the RIM factory or error in handling at the AT&T warehouse provided that there is a reason for phones to be taken out of the box at the AT&T warehouse.

In my case, the black plastic tray containing the phone and the battery was not simply missing. The holster was put in the place of the black plastic tray.
    11-25-09 05:00 AM
    OK. I understand that there are other possibilities to a phone missing from the box which include error in packaging at the RIM factory or error in handling at the AT&T warehouse provided that there is a reason for phones to be taken out of the box at the AT&T warehouse.

In my case, the black plastic tray containing the phone and the battery was not simply missing. The holster was put in the place of the black plastic tray.
    Man those warehouse workers are crafty! Sorry to hear about your phone woes! Hopefully whom ever did this wrong doing will get theirs soon!
    11-25-09 07:43 AM
    Are you saying that it isn't possible that someone is that stupid? Never underestimate the power of stupidity. Common sense isn't really all that common. And even though they get the phones dirt cheap, I'm sure there are some morons that figure an extra free phone to sell on Ebay or Craigslist is money in their pocket.

I could understand an "incidental" item being left out of the box, but seriously...if you got that $1,400 LCD TV box home and found that the TV wasn't in the box, what would you think? That they "forgot" to put it in there? This wasn't a missing screw, this was the phone and battery that was missing.

While I certainly wouldn't say it's a 100% certainty that the OP is right in saying it was stolen, if I had to place bets, I'd be betting with the OP.
    11-25-09 08:17 AM
    I am also betting that the line checks the weight of the box to confirm all the goodies are in there. I am betting it WAS in the box but stolen later.
    11-25-09 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD