My Tour from eBay should be here Wednesday or Thursday (if there's even mail that day) and I think I want OS 5.0 on it, since I wasn't able to put it on my Curve. Is that a good decision? Also, is there a hybrid version I want? Or do I stick with the original leaked one? The main thing I'm after is the threaded SMS. Could someone please point me in the right direction and give me a download link?
    11-23-09 07:07 PM
    5.0.0.230 or the 50v7.11 hybrid. Check the OS Beta and Discussion board.
    11-23-09 07:39 PM
    That is what I just updated to tonight actually. I did run 5.0.0.230 for a few days then I layed the 50v7.11 over it tonight. With the 5.0 I noticed better battery life, quicker reboot times, and threaded sms. Now with the 50v7.11 the reboot time is ever faster! I have yet to get to use the new hybrid much tonight yet.
    11-23-09 08:09 PM
    What exactly is the hybrid going to do? Speed the whole OS up? I've been running .230 and it is great. Threaded SMS, faster re-boots, and smoother transitions. I'm just curious if its really worth moving to a hybrid.
    11-23-09 10:13 PM
    With my hybrid I have seriously no lag, anytime, and I also have a quicker reboot time.
    11-23-09 10:53 PM
    I'm running the .230 leak, and haven't had any problems or lag whatsoever. The threading texting is amazing and a major step up from 4.7. Other than that, though, there aren't really many noticeable changes. I found the download link here on crackberry (the blog section). Look for the post about the leaked OS, there should be links in the comments.
    11-23-09 10:58 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. From the sounds of it, I'll go with the hybrid version.
    11-24-09 06:25 AM
    I'm running the .230 leak, and haven't had any problems or lag whatsoever. The threading texting is amazing and a major step up from 4.7. Other than that, though, there aren't really many noticeable changes. I found the download link here on crackberry (the blog section). Look for the post about the leaked OS, there should be links in the comments.
    In some of my experiences, you don't realize you had significant lag until you upgrade to a hybrid. Everytime I don't think the OS can get any faster, it does.

Like they always say, you can't miss what you never had. Anybody that is just running a base .230 I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Irtehun's newest hybrid. There's no reason not to. It's easy (see bbhybrids.net for instructions), you can shrink the OS and get more room, and you'll be running way faster. IMHO, it's a waste to not try a hybrid out. Worst case, you don't like it, you can downgrade back. But that's highly unlikely.
    11-24-09 06:55 AM
    It is also important to note that that any hybrid does not "replace" the base OS. So when someone is debating between whether running the leaked .230 or a hybrid BASED off of the .230, you still have the .230 installed on your computer. Do you know what I mean? This is why it seems to me like installing ANY hybrid is the next logical step after you install the leak. You're not replacing the .230 base altogether, just swapping out some of the standard .cod files for some newer ones. You still have the same radio stack (.230).

Sorry just wanted to conceptualize for those that might not understand.
    11-24-09 06:58 AM
    WillyBoy here actually helped me get some knowledge of Hybrids last night. It is awesome, he is right, I now, with the hybrid, have no lag at all. It was so easy to do...I suggest everyone do it. Thanks Willy for the help last night!
    11-24-09 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD