I've been using 5.0.0.230 since it was leaked and will never go back to 4.7 again. I am however looking to do a full wipe and clean install of either 5.0.0.230 or perhaps giving one of the 5.0 hybrids a shot. I've been having a little too much lag time lately. Can anyone who has experience with both of these options give me some insight as to which is better? Also if you have a recommend hybrid please list it. Thanks for any help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 01:36 PM
    I've been using 5.0.0.230 since it was leaked and will never go back to 4.7 again. I am however looking to do a full wipe and clean install of either 5.0.0.230 or perhaps giving one of the 5.0 hybrids a shot. I've been having a little too much lag time lately. Can anyone who has experience with both of these options give me some insight as to which is better? Also if you have a recommend hybrid please list it. Thanks for any help!

.230 is good, but you've only scraped the tip of the iceberg if you haven't installed a hybrid over top of it. The higher leaks are no good, so your best bet is to stick with the .230 base and just install Irtehun's newest hybrid over top of it. VOILA! No wipe or clean install necessary. Just download the hybrid from here and you'll be off in no time!

BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 - 50v7.11 (5.0.0.230 based)

I promise that you won't regret it.
    11-23-09 01:40 PM
    I don't have the experience of the hybrid but .230 was great when i had the Tour. Do you think there is a significant difference? if so what kind?
    11-23-09 01:41 PM
    I don't have the experience of the hybrid but .230 was great when i had the Tour. Do you think there is a significant difference? if so what kind?
    If you were just running a .230 leak, then all of your modules were .230. With these new hybrids there are modules in there from .238, .302, .328, 351.... etc. You get the point. It's the best of all the leaks combined together in one OS that's what makes it a "hybrid".

As far as noticing a difference, yes, for sure. There are blatant issues with the base leaks that are fixed by creating a hybrid, as well as different features available in later leaks. The real point is that, while mostly all other devices have leaked OS's in the .3xx range, we haven't had anything stable for the tour past .230 soooo it benefits a tour user who wants a newer, faster OS since they aren't leaking any specific for the tour.

It's an art, really, combining the different modules and making them stable. That is why I value Irtehun's work so much.... Very time consuming.
    11-23-09 01:47 PM
    .230 is good, but you've only scraped the tip of the iceberg if you haven't installed a hybrid over top of it. The higher leaks are no good, so your best bet is to stick with the .230 base and just install Irtehun's newest hybrid over top of it. VOILA! No wipe or clean install necessary. Just download the hybrid from here and you'll be off in no time!

BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 - 50v7.11 (5.0.0.230 based)

I promise that you won't regret it.
    ok so I am getting my husband the tour next week and want to get the 5.0 OS- the link you provided is that just the hybrid or both?
    11-23-09 01:58 PM
    That's just the hybrrid. You also need to find .230. For me the hybrids are mostly faster and less prone to gfreezing.

11-23-09 02:09 PM
    Irtehun Hybrid.

It's the best.

Edit: yes, you need the 5.0.230 leak as well.
    Install the leak to your pc, then install the hybrid.
    Then shrink it down if you want...
    Or plug in the phone and update via DM.

=]
    Dm
    11-23-09 02:19 PM
    so once we have 5.0.230 on our phone all we have to do is download the hybrid and then install that on the phone over the os?
    11-23-09 02:20 PM
    So what are the user differences? I too am running 5.0.230. If we were to do this can you give us a quick walk through on what to do?

If you were just running a .230 leak, then all of your modules were .230. With these new hybrids there are modules in there from .238, .302, .328, 351.... etc. You get the point. It's the best of all the leaks combined together in one OS that's what makes it a "hybrid".

As far as noticing a difference, yes, for sure. There are blatant issues with the base leaks that are fixed by creating a hybrid, as well as different features available in later leaks. The real point is that, while mostly all other devices have leaked OS's in the .3xx range, we haven't had anything stable for the tour past .230 soooo it benefits a tour user who wants a newer, faster OS since they aren't leaking any specific for the tour.

It's an art, really, combining the different modules and making them stable. That is why I value Irtehun's work so much.... Very time consuming.
    11-23-09 02:21 PM
    So what are the user differences? I too am running 5.0.230. If we were to do this can you give us a quick walk through on what to do?
    i second that. i haven't installed 5.0 yet but after hearing that the hybrid fixes most issues i'm very intrested. i've looked for a step by step walk thru to install the OS and the Hybrid but haven't found anything that is super clear.

is there a link that you can post, or perphaps make your own step by step for us other user to follow?

thank you very much for helping fellow tour users
    11-23-09 02:28 PM
    It does fix some issues and not others. As of 7.11 the mp3 player bug is still present (meaning you have to hit pause/play at the end of your first song or you wont get sound in headphones), there is a bug in sms/mms where you hit delete prior and it deletes the text fields but leaves the headers so you have to manually delete them one at a time, the radio is still the .230 radio which is all over the place signal wise, and many people, including both of my tours, haven issues with intermittent drop/reconnect when using usb to pc connection. Real pain in the *** when you are transferring a movie or syncing music and it drops off. Errors out the transfer.
    11-23-09 02:34 PM
    I personally installed the 5.0 leak on my Tour and it was fairly easy. I can help with that. I am just confused about this hybird and installing overtop of the leak?
    11-23-09 02:36 PM
    Irtehun Hybrid.

Edit: yes, you need the 5.0.230 leak as well.
    Install the leak to your pc, then install the hybrid.
    Then shrink it down if you want...
    Or plug in the phone and update via DM.

=]
    Dm
    Hey, thanks for the install tips for us 4.7 users.

But just to clarify, is this acceptable or even accurate?

1. Install the leak 5.0.230 (base) to PC/DM
    2. Load/update the above .230 base to Tour
    3. Install hybrid (see Step 1)
    4. Repeat Step 2 on hybrid.

Thanks for this, just wanting to make sure.
    Last edited by pblakk; 11-23-09 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edit
    11-23-09 02:36 PM
    It does fix some issues and not others. As of 7.11 the mp3 player bug is still present (meaning you have to hit pause/play at the end of your first song or you wont get sound in headphones), there is a bug in sms/mms where you hit delete prior and it deletes the text fields but leaves the headers so you have to manually delete them one at a time, the radio is still the .230 radio which is all over the place signal wise, and many people, including both of my tours, haven issues with intermittent drop/reconnect when using usb to pc connection. Real pain in the *** when you are transferring a movie or syncing music and it drops off. Errors out the transfer.
    so what is the positive side of using a hybrid after a leak?
    11-23-09 02:37 PM
    i second that. i haven't installed 5.0 yet but after hearing that the hybrid fixes most issues i'm very intrested. i've looked for a step by step walk thru to install the OS and the Hybrid but haven't found anything that is super clear.

is there a link that you can post, or perphaps make your own step by step for us other user to follow?

thank you very much for helping fellow tour users
    For all your BB hybrid needs, I'll direct you to BBHybrids - Blackberry Hybrids . There is a dedicated support team on staff that can answer all your questions and help you through the process. They also have good walk through guides such as this one: How to Load a Hybrid - BBHybrids Forums . So browse around, peruse, feel free to hang around for a while. All are welcome.

As far as the user experience... I know when I used 4.7 my main complaint was that my phone constantly lagged 5-10 when unlocking. This was a problem because I keep my Berry in my holster so it auto-locks every time I put it in there. You can see why this would be very annoying. Even when I upgraded to .230 I had this issue, though to a lesser extent. I am happy to report that running v7.11 I experience NO such lag, I literally have to try to keep up with the phones speed. When lagging from window to window, app to app before, I receive almost instantaneous response now upon every click. The speed is the PRIMARY advantage to a hybrid, for sure.

Other things that are addressed in hybrids are issues with Voice activated dialing, media player bugs, constant freezing/rebooting cycles, memory leaks, and some application compatibility it seems (among many others!). The reliable thing is that, especially with Irtehun, every hybrid is better than the one that came before it. You see the endorsements coming from the far corners of the internet, not just this website, or BBHybrids, but check out some other forums around the web. Theres a reason Iretehun has a subforum in almost every other Hybrid/OS forum.

Irtehun's Hybrids - often imitated but never duplicated.
    11-23-09 02:38 PM
    As far as installing its pretty straight forward.
    Uninstall any previous os's from your computer in control panel add/remove.
    Install 5.0.0.230 and when its done install Irtehuns 7.11. When its done installing it will launch shrink-a-os. Choose what you want to keep or get rid off, and shrink it. When done click the loader button in shrink-a-os and install the os. Some people prefer to wipe the phone before installing a new os but unless you get some install error I wouldn't bother as I believe the loader wipes the phone before updating the os.
    11-23-09 02:38 PM
    I installed Irtehun's 50v7.11 hybrid last night and its awesome! It is alot more snappier than the base .230 leak. What I also like about downloading the hybrid is that you also get the Shrink-A-OS program which is a nice added feature. If you are courageous enough to install a leak you can install the a hybrid.

Just go the BBHybrids.net website and from there its pretty much self explanatory to the novice user let alone a bb wiz. Good luck.
    11-23-09 02:39 PM
    Kyle you dont have to install the .230 leak to the tour and then the hybrid, you install .230 operating system on your pc (which you more than likely still have since you have .230 on your phone) and then install Irtehun's hybrid to the pc, shrink it if you want, and load the hybridized os to your tour.
    11-23-09 02:41 PM
    so what is the positive side of using a hybrid after a leak?
    See my previous post. I'd say that the greatest strength of the hybrid is that it increases stability, speed, and reliability. Outside of that, they usually try to address various bugs here and there. But if you are a fan of speed and stability, then Hybrid's are for you.
    11-23-09 02:42 PM
    does anyone have a link to the leaked 5.0?
    11-23-09 02:49 PM
    I took willyboy6's advice and threw the hybrid he mentioned onto my Tour. Its running very nicely. Looking forward to running it through its paces and seeing how much less lag I get. Thanks again!
    11-23-09 02:49 PM
    I took willyboy6's advice and threw the hybrid he mentioned onto my Tour. Its running very nicely. Looking forward to running it through its paces and seeing how much less lag I get. Thanks again!
    You won't be dissapointed. Don't forget to give it a few long battery pulls and update the PRL. The device should normalize in 24 hrs or so, and that's when the smoothness really kicks in.

Then just sit back and enjoy.
    11-23-09 02:53 PM
    Im on my work computer and i already have DM installed on it, but i dont have .230 installed on it, but it is installed on my Tour. Do i need .230 installed on the computer if i wanna do the hybrid?
    11-23-09 02:54 PM
    As far as installing its pretty straight forward.
    Uninstall any previous os's from your computer in control panel add/remove.
    Install 5.0.0.230 and when its done install Irtehuns 7.11. When its done installing it will launch shrink-a-os. Choose what you want to keep or get rid off, and shrink it. When done click the loader button in shrink-a-os and install the os. Some people prefer to wipe the phone before installing a new os but unless you get some install error I wouldn't bother as I believe the loader wipes the phone before updating the os.
    Agree, Shrink-a-OS is a great tool for any BB user. For example, when I first got my Tour running stock OS and some installed apps, I was easily down to 75-80 mb free. After a few days without a batt pull i was nearing 50!!! After using Shrink-a-OS and running a hybrid I experience minimal memory leaking and I hold steady at 110-115mb free with at least 20 apps installed. Yes, it's possible.

Also, VERY cool that this comes WITH the hybrid. No extra work necessary
    11-23-09 02:55 PM
    Im on my work computer and i already have DM installed on it, but i dont have .230 installed on it, but it is installed on my Tour. Do i need .230 installed on the computer if i wanna do the hybrid?
    I've never tried it without the OS installed on my computer, but I would assume you need it considering apploader wipes your phone clean then reinstalls the base OS with the hybrid over top of it. So it is still using the base (.230) files meaning that yes, you would need to have that OS on your computer.
    11-23-09 02:57 PM
249 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD