Hey Friends,
    I'm back again with another problem...but I think our collective knowledge can help me fix it!

Ok, So in my dorm room I have a wireless router set up and my Curve is able to connect no problem, shows T-Mobile at the top and the name of my network as well as the UMA in the upper right corner. Everything works great in and around my room.
    Now on campus...my phone use to be able to connect to the schools wireless network and showed the network name with TMobile and UMA..everything worked great up until a week ago. Then while on the campus network
    Tmobile and UMA no longer show up..it shows that im still connected but no UMA..

I want it back so I can make calls and receive texts and all that fun data while I am in class or the library.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sam
    05-19-08 06:43 PM
    does nobody know the solution? or the direction to point me?
    05-20-08 01:38 AM
    having a similar problem with mine. UMA worked fine at home, now it doesn't. I can drive half a mile down the road to a restaurant with free WiFi and UMA fires right up with the WiFi.
    07-08-08 11:51 PM
    Did you try deleting the profile for your campus wifi, and reloading it? That would be my first thought.
    07-09-08 12:28 AM
    Done that and it didn't work
    07-09-08 12:38 AM
    I am also having the same issue. Uma no longer shows up in the upper right corner. It just says "off". I can still browse but I cannot txt or make calls. There is a perfect signal when I view the network, but it doesn't show me that on my homescreen...jusr "off". Could this have to do with me going through with the latest upgrade?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-08 05:24 AM
    The same problem started for me yesterday. I have been connected to the same router for over three weeks with no troubles. Out of the blue yesterday I could not connect to the UMA server. My BB shows that I am connected to the home wireless network. The router is accepting my device; it just won’t connect to the UMA server. I get error code W006.3 under UMA in WiFi diagnostics. I spend two hours on the phone with T-Mobile only to have them say that since I am using an unsupported router that is probably the problem. HOWEVER, after I got off the phone with them I searched other websites for users with the same issue. Interestingly enough, quite a few people are having exactly the same issue (most seemed to be in GA but now I am wondering if it is the southeast). They are using unsupported and supported routers. The consensus on other sites is that this is a T-Mobile UMA issue but no T-Mobile rep seems to know about it…

I am very frustrated and trying to stay calm…I am telecommuting (trial period) and I do not get reception in my house. I am not using a landline (long story) so my only access to a phone is through the hotspot@home service. Urgh.
    07-09-08 08:27 AM
    I work for TMobile and I got 3 different answers from tech support. I have a dealer support number for Blackberry that I am going to call when I get to work and see if RIM themselves can explain this problem. I will post up my findings when I get home tonight.
    07-09-08 10:04 AM
    Cool, an inside track.

I am sure there are a lot of UMA users hoping for an answer.
    07-09-08 10:57 AM
    This is strange to have such a wide-spread issue... maybe TMo is doing something to their UMA system some how and not notifying us?? I have had minor blips in my UMA the past day or 2 but chalked it up to the fact that I recently upgraded to OS 4.5.0.52...

As for the OP, you may want to check with your school's IT dept and see if they recently changed settings on the campus WiFi. Other than that, I am lost.
    07-09-08 11:00 AM
    Battery pulls? Does your campus wifi need a login?
    07-09-08 11:03 AM
    These service books are critical to UMA/Wi-Fi services on the device. If they are removed for any reason, the device may not receive them again from the Service Book downloads.

In most cases, removing and reinserting the battery will reinstall the service books, as they are hard-coded into the device software.
    07-09-08 11:08 AM
    finally decided that the best solution is to take it in the shorts, break my contract, sell the phone and go back to verizon.

bottom line - for me - is that no matter what i've tried or what tech support has tried, their network stinks and drops calls all the time. uma - the whole reason i switched to t-mobile - is buggy at best and half the time either does not work or does not work right. t-mobile has been a massive frustration since day one. yeah, verizon can be pretty annoying too, but at least the network is solid and you don't drop calls very often.

good luck.
    07-09-08 11:44 AM
    your phone is fine....no need to go return it and switch providers.

you probably just need to register your MAC address with your campus' network so when you phone accesses it, it'll recognize the device and allow it to connect to the network.
    07-09-08 11:50 AM
    Well i guess its putting my mind at ease somewhat that other people are having this same issue. But it is quite frustrating for me, i loved being connected through uma...everything is so fast.

But with the new os upgrade, i now have 2 bars worth of service in my room. So at lease my bb is not completely useless at home. But still...

Guys and gals, do me a favor. Keep me posted on what happens when your speaking to your t-mobile reps. And if anyone figures something out to fix this issue please post it here. Im sure once "official" os is released this problem will be gone. Until then i guess ill just cruise with the stability and speed of .52
    07-09-08 03:31 PM
    Ok, so my number for BB was only retail sales support, not tech, and they don't know jack. I noticed today my BB connected to my work hotspot no problem for UMA,but when home, the same problem...WiFi but no UMA. So, I know my device works fine, but it seems my router doesn't want to play nice with my BB. I'm going to try some other solutions later and will post up my findings.
    07-09-08 05:37 PM
    Yes, please be sure to let us know if anything works for you. I know its not my router because its worked for weeks with no problems.
    07-09-08 05:43 PM
    Yes, please be sure to let us know if anything works for you. I know its not my router because its worked for weeks with no problems.
    have you tried resetting your router?
    07-09-08 06:23 PM
    have you tried resetting your router?
    Dude, I'm so way ahead of little things like that. I just plugged in my old Belkin 54g to see if it would work and I get no UMA love from it either. My BB connected to UMA at work no problem as well as the restaurant down the road(in the parking lot no less!) I'm stumped.
    07-09-08 06:50 PM
    Dude, I'm so way ahead of little things like that. I just plugged in my old Belkin 54g to see if it would work and I get no UMA love from it either. My BB connected to UMA at work no problem as well as the restaurant down the road(in the parking lot no less!) I'm stumped.
    I know you are frustrated ......but slow down......OAKIE and a few others GET IT.......they are here FREE for us to learn and pass the info on to others......be respectful .......PLEASE.........how much stuff you have running through the routers?
    07-09-08 06:54 PM
    is your name "shorynot"?

there is a reason why i quoted him.
    07-09-08 06:58 PM
    and lastly, your campus network has a problem. i think that would be quite obvious if you can connect to ANY OTHER NETWORK except that one.

address your campus IT staff. they probably turned off a few settings to prevent file sharing and/or gaming on the network due to user complaints about network speed... and in the process, disabled Quality of Service, which prioritizes VoIP data packets over regular data packets. or they upgraded the hardware for their access points and didnt enable QoS.

and thus killing your ability to connect via UMA on campus and in your dorm... both of which share the same network.

talk to your campus IT staff.
    07-09-08 07:03 PM
    is your name "shorynot"?

there is a reason why i quoted him.
    It's not, but we are having pretty much the same issue so if e-thugging is your game, take it somewhere else and let's hear from someone who has something that's not personally insulting.
    07-09-08 07:23 PM
    My main problem here is the fact that everything was in working order before. And now its not...

Now if this is some type of maintenence or network issue then so be it, ill wait it out. I cant really imagine it being anything else, my router works fine with everything else in my house. Not really sure what other steps to take here..

The reason im thinking its not my network or router is because this issue slowly got worse. With uma dropping periodically from time to time, and now...just not working at all

Oh, and yes..i did reset the router lol
    07-09-08 07:27 PM
    It's not, but we are having pretty much the same issue so if e-thugging is your game, take it somewhere else and let's hear from someone who has something that's not personally insulting.
    if you're personally insulted because i had to clarify who i was speaking to after already being perfectly clear, then you have issues. your developing attitude is probably why no one is trying to help you out... because you're coming off acting like you already know the answer but are asking anyways.

and i even took the time to answer your question for you, even though the answer was staring you straight in the face.
    07-09-08 07:31 PM
176 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD