We have 5 phones and are currently on the select plan (1400 min.).

lead account - Blackberry + 29 BIS
    additional 2 - Blackberry + 29 BIS
    additional 3 - non Blackberry + 15 unlimited data
    additional 4 - non Blackberry + 15 unlimited data
    additional 5 - non Blackberry

I wanted to upgrade #5 to a rouge but the CSR said that the $15 unlimited data plans are no longer offered and we cannot switch to the Connect plan for unlimited mobile web (for the 3 non blackberry phones) unless we make one of the non Blackberry's the lead account.
    I don't want to do that because I pay over $300 a month an feel that I should be the every 2 year guy and not one of the children. Why is it this way? and is there a way around it?
    11-22-09 06:16 PM
    Not sure if there is an easy way around but you can get a ne2 phone on the kids line and simply have them put your number on the phone. Not ideal but solves the problem. There are plenty of people around here that switch primary to get the new phone of their choice. Let me know if there is an easy way to accomplish. I will be in that sanme situation soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 06:50 PM
    When all is said and done, you control the account and the upgrades, not the kiddos, so does it really matter which line the NE2 is on? Some families switch upgrades between lines all the time.

It may require keeping track a bit more than previously, or simply assuming either line has the upgrade on the other line. But just because it's on a different phone number doesn't automatically mean the kid gets the fancier phone than you.

Or heck, you *could* if you wanted to get a PDA instead. The Omnia for example has similar features as the rogue, but has more PDA functionality and does not have the keyboard. If you needed a keyboard, the Motorola Droid or the Touch Pro 2 would probably be the closest match. (No widgets on the TP2 though.)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 11-22-09 at 07:17 PM.
    11-22-09 07:14 PM
    But why can't a blackberry be the lead number on a connect plan? Is the real question.
    11-22-09 07:21 PM
    We don't currently have any data familyshare plans for PDAs. My personal speculation is something in that realm will happen eventually as PDAs become more and more widely adopted by average consumers (and since Alltel used to have one, there will likely be a market for it), but at this time, we don't have one.

Connect is a data familyshare plan for "dumbphones", and the Rouge, fancy as it is, is technically a "dumbphone".
    11-22-09 07:54 PM
    But that's not the point, we fully expect to continue to pay our $29 BIS fees each for the two blackberrys. (Actually double paying for mobile web) the point is "Why must a NON-BLACKBERRY be the lead # on a Connect plan. The bottom line for Verizon is the same. The only difference is an unhappy customer who has been a customer for over 25 years.
    Before Verizon rolled into our town and took over it was Cellular One.
    11-22-09 09:18 PM
    But that's not the point, we fully expect to continue to pay our $29 BIS fees each for the two blackberrys. (Actually double paying for mobile web) the point is "Why must a NON-BLACKBERRY be the lead # on a Connect plan. The bottom line for Verizon is the same. The only difference is an unhappy customer who has been a customer for over 25 years.
    Because.. a Connect Plan is not compatible with a Blackberry. A Connect Plan offers unlimited data for non-smart phones and not for smart phones.

Why does it matter if one number is the primary?

And if this makes you an unhappy customer, then maybe you should consider a different wireless carrier - perhaps CricKet?

Over 25 years as a customer.. wow.. So you had a DynaTAC?! and STILL have children on your plan?
    Last edited by tsguy52; 11-22-09 at 09:32 PM.
    11-22-09 09:25 PM
    I highly doubt that they did this just to make YOU mad. As stated above, the Connect plan is only for non Blackberry or PDA phones (now Droid) so its not that they are making you switch just for funnsies. If its that important to not switch just add a data plan to the Rogue. 9.99 or 19.99. You can still keep your line, even as a secondary, as the main account owner on the website and you would still have control of the account, incase that's a concern.
    11-22-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD