Hi everyone,

I had a brand new blackberry pearl 8220 that I unlocked and sent to my sister in the Ivory Coast. She's tried to use it, yet she can't get the phone to recognize the new provider in the Ivory Coast. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    11-22-09 02:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

I had a brand new blackberry pearl 8220 that I unlocked and sent to my sister in the Ivory Coast. She's tried to use it, yet she can't get the phone to recognize the new provider in the Ivory Coast. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Well, I'm sure you've already checked with her and or her provider, but obviously gotta make sure that it's Quad-Band: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz GSM out there on the Ivory Coast.

Did ya check to make sure it worked unlocked before ya sent it to her?
    11-22-09 03:47 PM
    yes, I had already sent her a pearl 8120 from tmobile that worked perfect. And that is the reason why i do not understand the troubles that she's having with that one.
    Gsm in the Ivory Coast does operate on 900/1800 MHz and it should work perfect at this level
    11-22-09 06:43 PM
    maybe she has to set the APN up to match her provider.
    11-23-09 12:16 AM
    yes, I had already sent her a pearl 8120 from tmobile that worked perfect. And that is the reason why i do not understand the troubles that she's having with that one.
    Gsm in the Ivory Coast does operate on 900/1800 MHz and it should work perfect at this level
    Hmmm...don't know what to tell ya. Will her provider there help her out? She is still paying them $$ after all

Silly question, but has she done a simple battery pull with her sim card installed?
    11-23-09 01:33 AM
    Maybe the phone is still trying to connect to the original carrier's network, or the original carrier's UMA network. After doing the battery pull that Hoggles suggested, try opening Manage Connections and select Mobile Network Options. I would expect to see:

Connection Preference: Mobile Network Only
    Mobile Network: <Ivory Coast carrier>
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic

You could try setting Network Selection Mode to Manual, allow it to scan for GSM networks, and manually choose the carrier.
    11-25-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD