My wife and I just "upgraded" from 8830 to Tour. The night I started "Touring" I had dinner with a friend with a new Storm 2. Not exactly buyer's remorse, but now I'm considering swapping my Tour for a new Storm.

The reasons are that I like the Storm screen size, touch capability and click keyboard. The larger keyboard is cool.

Bad Storm features are that when browsing you must take an extra step to access the keyboard and the small format keyboard on the Storm seems to encourage inaccuate typing. It seems that there will frequently be an extra step required to type on the Storm. I don't care about the multiple apps so much. The bigger card is no big deal.

What am I missing in terms of why I should or should not switch to a Storm?
    11-22-09 12:30 PM
    I think the biggest issue is whether you want a physical keyboard or not. Coming from a Treo 650 that had a keyboard to the Storm took a little getting use to. However, I can't see myself going to any device that didn't have a touchscreen this big. I would consider a device that had both, like the Droid or Pre, but I love having the screen real estate. The fact that you need to click to confirm and input items on the Storm, made the transition a little harder initially, but makes so much sense.

Once RIM went to 5.0, they took away the swipe up for keyboard. If there was a way to make it easier to get the keyboard, rather than needing to go through the menu. I will ask the makers of quicklaunch to see if they can do this. Other than that, I don't know of a better way.

I would have suggested the tour more if it also had a touchscreen. It's funny that an older phone like my Treo was touchscreen and had a dedicated keyboard, but none of the blackberries do...
    11-23-09 08:58 AM
    Once RIM went to 5.0, they took away the swipe up for keyboard. If there was a way to make it easier to get the keyboard, rather than needing to go through the menu. I will ask the makers of quicklaunch to see if they can do this. Other than that, I don't know of a better way.
    Actually, I just noticed that you can set a convenience key to pop up the "Virtual keyboard", so that is another option.
    11-23-09 09:10 AM
    Typing accurately on the storm is just a matter of preference. As long as you're not married to physical keys, it won't be a problem for you. Sure type and other options available for portrait typing as well. Lots of options.
    11-23-09 10:52 AM
    I have my left convenience key set to pop up the keyboard; works great...
    11-23-09 11:31 AM
    I came from the 8830 myself and I used to type blazing fast....let me tell you one thing - the real estate on this thing blows all other BBs out of the water...going back to anything smaller just doesn't compute for me anymore....and once you get used to suretype, you can get almost as fast as on one with a physical keyboard. One drawback is you will NOT be able to use it without looking at it, so no texting/BBiming while driving (hey, you aren't supposed to anyways!)...you also get wifi, which is a HUGE plus, especially since you can then do voice + data...the trackball is going to be obsolete soon with the trackpad anyways....

I would strongly suggest you try out the S2...
    11-23-09 12:04 PM
    Keep your tour. I got lured in by the screen size on my s1 and regret it almost every single day. Sometimes you are just better to stick with what works.

I'm on my 3rd S1 since sept. I will not waste my time with S2, not to mention my phone is 10 times worse since uprgading to 5.0. I am jealous of my wifes tour because it just flat works! Of course none of my problems showed up during my 30 days when I could swap for something else.
    11-23-09 12:17 PM
    I'm on my 3rd S1 since sept. I will not waste my time with S2, not to mention my phone is 10 times worse since uprgading to 5.0. I am jealous of my wifes tour because it just flat works! Of course none of my problems showed up during my 30 days when I could swap for something else.
    I feel bad for you, but don't really know what to say. I've had my one and only Storm, since last November. No problems. With all of the loud complaints that you hear from people, I was surprised when the poll asking how many people are still on their first Storm out. It was surprising to see such high numbers saying they were on their first one.
    11-23-09 12:40 PM
    I feel bad for you, but don't really know what to say. I've had my one and only Storm, since last November. No problems. With all of the loud complaints that you hear from people, I was surprised when the poll asking how many people are still on their first Storm out. It was surprising to see such high numbers saying they were on their first one.

The silent satisfied customers are still in the vast majority. The S1 sold very well and the S2 will continue to do so without a doubt. Are there better phones out there for some people's tastes? Absolutely. But that does not mean that this is not a solid phone for a great many people out there today.
    11-23-09 01:05 PM
    The silent satisfied customers are still in the vast majority. The S1 sold very well and the S2 will continue to do so without a doubt. Are there better phones out there for some people's tastes? Absolutely. But that does not mean that this is not a solid phone for a great many people out there today.
    Agreed....

(Btw, since when is there a 10 char limit to make a post?)
    11-23-09 01:08 PM
    I just bought my wife the Tour and I have a Storm I with 5.0. I like my Storm much better. The Storm now performs the way I thought that it should have when it was first released. I haven't had a freezeup since I don't know when, I don't have to deal with trackball issues and I have massive screen space. The keyboard (for me) is much more accurate now with the 5.0 OS over what it was. I love my flick scrolling and I use Opera mini over the native browser for fast speeds. With Flash coming next year it will be a complete device for me. This is my 3rd Storm, but what happened to the other 2 was my fault involving spills.
    11-23-09 03:29 PM
    Agreed....

(Btw, since when is there a 10 char limit to make a post?)
    since i've been here at least, dunno how long before that
    11-23-09 04:01 PM
    since i've been here at least, dunno how long before that
    I guess I never noticed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 06:40 PM
    I have had the Storm since day one which was also my first BB. I have just switched to the Tour after several problems with the storm. Now that I have the Tour I will never go back to a touch screen BB.
    11-23-09 07:05 PM
    The tour, it is not in beta, like the storm is.
    11-24-09 12:49 AM
    Stick with your Tour. Research in Motion should be banned from developing touchscreen devices. Without a doubt, their full qwerty phones are the best on the market but these people can't develop a decent touchscreen to save their lives.

Honestly, they should be ashamed of what they've done with the Storm1/2.
    11-28-09 04:27 PM
    The storm fores not have any issues with the keyboard popping up. Click on url or message area and it comes right up every time. I like storm 1. However, seeing that the future is in the storm 2, I will be upgrading.
    11-29-09 08:24 AM
    I have a bold 9000 which i love but I hate At &T. Calls drop constantly and it is driving me crazy. I am going back to Verizon but i am not sure which BB to get the Tour or the Storm2. I like having wi-fi which the tour does not. I tried the droid for 2 weeks and i missed my BB and sent it back. Would appreciate any input from people as to which one to get. Wish that verizon had the Bold.
    12-01-09 02:16 PM
    Stick with your Tour. Research in Motion should be banned from developing touchscreen devices. Without a doubt, their full qwerty phones are the best on the market but these people can't develop a decent touchscreen to save their lives.

Honestly, they should be ashamed of what they've done with the Storm1/2.
    I've been trying to tell people this as well. RIM doesnt really know how to make a touch screen phone. Its just to new to them and I feel they should stick to what they know how to build best, and that is the qwerty keyboard phones. I like how they are trying to get into the touch screen market, but it just doesnt work for them.
    12-02-09 08:36 AM
    I've been trying to tell people this as well. RIM doesnt really know how to make a touch screen phone. Its just to new to them and I feel they should stick to what they know how to build best, and that is the qwerty keyboard phones. I like how they are trying to get into the touch screen market, but it just doesnt work for them.
    Try telling Storm2 owners who are happy with their phones that RIM can't make a touchscreen. The surepress makes sense. A lot of people don't like touch screens because of how easy they can accidentally select the wrong button.

Most of this issues storm had had nothing to do with it being a touchscreen. And the ones that were were fixed in the Storm2. This includes the surepress and the face detection improvements.
    Last edited by leglace; 12-06-09 at 06:15 PM.
    12-06-09 06:08 PM
    I don't think RIM failed at all, they didn't rock the world like the iphone did, but I love my storm and I wouldn't want a touch screen that doesn't click. They feel far too disconnected to me.

No reboots, no freezes/lockups since .148, no memory leaks, everything is pretty snappy and responsive as of 5.0 OS revisions. Definitely not what it was at .75

the phone has come a long way. Some people seem to have gotten some bad hardware. It happens...sometimes a lot. They really dropped the ball QA wise, but when you have a good unit, the storm is a nice phone.
    12-06-09 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD