I picked up the Bold 9700 on the 16th and was told that I have 14 days to return it. If I return it because I don't like it there will be a $10.00 restocking fee.

As of right now I am not very satisfied with the phone and am thinking of bringing it back.

When I got the phone I had a month left on my original contract. So if I return the phone does the new contract become void and do I go back to my original contract that expires on 12/19?

If you ever returned a phone to TMO did they take it back without a hassle?

I've never done this before in all the years I've had a cell phone but I am not sure I want to have to live with a $200 phone for the next two years if I am not happy with it.
    11-22-09 08:10 AM
    Yes your contract will reset. Its a hassle free process depending on if you bought the phone in store or online.

What exactly about the phone do you not like?
    11-22-09 09:28 AM
    In Puerto Rico, if you buy the phone at promotional pricing, the new contract will NOT be voided upon return of the phone to TMO. I don't know if the same rules apply in mainland US TMO.
    11-22-09 09:39 AM
    My recommendation is go in to a physical store to do the return so you can see who you are dealing with.

Yes, they will take the phone back without hassle. They will make you pay the restock fee so that they can use the phone for parts for other customers.

I'm not entirely sure about your contract re-verting, considering there was only one month left. Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the 9700 I'd recommend the 8900 (same thing, no 3G or trackpad - I have it and am happy) or wait it out for the new Pearl, if you're into that...

good luck!
    11-22-09 11:20 AM
    The 2 issues I have with the 9700 is the smaller keyboard and the browser. I came from an 8320 and had no problems with the browser. The browser on the 9700 all pages are small. I have to zoom in, can't seem to find a way to set it a certain way and save that setting. I've called TMO tech support a few times already and each time I'm told they don't even have a working phone to see the problem. I might try going back to the store and see if they know anything more.
    11-22-09 12:39 PM
    The 9700 is a way better keyboard then the 8900 and the 8320 soo don't know what type of keyboard your expecting and just use colum view or zoom its not that big of a inconvinence

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 12:54 PM
    The 2 issues I have with the 9700 is the smaller keyboard and the browser. I came from an 8320 and had no problems with the browser. The browser on the 9700 all pages are small. I have to zoom in, can't seem to find a way to set it a certain way and save that setting. I've called TMO tech support a few times already and each time I'm told they don't even have a working phone to see the problem.
    Wow. It amazes me that T-Mobile hasn't sorted this problem out yet. I had the same browser concerns when I first got my 8900. It was driving me CRAZY. No one at T-Mobile could help me and they all told me to use the zoom feature. Well, from my perspective, I didn't want to have to zoom in on everything everytime I used the browser.

Then I found the solution and my total love affair with the 8900 was locked.

Here's how to fix your browser problem:

Browser -> Options -> General Properties -> Default View -> Column -> Save Options

After that, you'll be happy again.

I called T-Mobile and asked them to put this in their Knowledge Database so when people call in with this concern they know how to address it. Again, it amazes me that they are still unable to help people with this concern.

Hope that helps. Something tells me you'll now be happy and won't need to return your 9700. Happy mobile surfing!
    11-22-09 01:04 PM
    If you choose to return the phone, your contract will be reverted back to the previous expiration date before the extension. The phone has to be returned to the same sales channel you received it from. If it was purchased online, it has to be returned by mail. Any corporate store can return it if it came from another corporate store. Do not listen to Care if they say you can return an online purchase at a store. You cannot.
    11-22-09 04:43 PM
    It would be a good idea to call them to make sure your contract is reverted back to the previous expiration date. I returned one and it wasn't. It was no big deal. They took care of it right away.
    11-22-09 07:37 PM
    one thing no one else mentioned, If you paid cash for the phone they will make you wait 10 days for a refund check to be mailed to you. They won't give you cash in the store.
    11-22-09 07:49 PM
    Thank you all for your comments. I checked my receipt and is says I have 14 days and that I will revert back to my old contract. It also said they "might" charge a restocking fee. I guess that would be up to each store.

I'm hoping I won't have to do this. Overall I really like TMO and BB. I'm using my new 9700 as much as I can to see what if anything I really don't like and what if anything can be done to change it.
    11-23-09 11:18 AM
    i have a related question: i returned a phone last night but accidentally left out the usb cord. will this be a problem?
    11-24-09 09:19 AM
    lol you should have kept it...
    you can go to browser properties and increase the font size if you cant see anything.
    or go to general phone properties and increase the font size also.

im gonna explain why you seem to have the problem with small txt

all curves have same screen size 2.44'
    the new bold 9700 is a curve on crack...
    shares same case as the 8900 and so is the screen size

curve8320- 320x240
    curve8900 -480x360
    storm9500 -480x360
    bold 9700 480x360

you had curve 8320 so did i and now i have 8900 which is essentially same as 9700 with few exceptions.
    the keyboard is same exact size, the difference is the buttons are bigger than curve. they are closer together but they are bigger physically and different shape.
    so you wil have to just get used to them. because if you want same thing as your 8320 then buy another 8320.

the screen resolution is bigger on 9700 which means there are more pixels per square inch than was on 8320 which means a better(sharper) image on your screen.
    blackberry storm has same resolution as 8900 and 9700 but to you it appears that the letters are bigger because the space between pixels is bigger.
    in other words the image is stretched out to a bigger screen.

on my 8900 i can lower the font size to 4 whic is unreadable at all or i can set it to whatever size i want in browser options
    11-24-09 01:25 PM
    Setting one's BlackBerry web browser to column view is a great idea. It really does make the best use of the screen real-estate.

Another good idea is changing the font size used by the browser. Some folks find the default 8 point type too small to read on the super-sharp 8900 & 9700 screen, but 9 or 10 point type really easy on the eyes.

And second what @NorrisCell & @SwitchediPhone-to-Storm said: Return it how you got it & if it's cash you may have to wait for a refund check. If you're on an installment plan then return it to the same store, not just any T-Mobile store. Keep in mind 14 days includes the day you got it on, so it's date+13 days.

And yeah, the $10 restock fee is likely gonna hit you. But hey, $10 to try out a cutting-edge phone that can now only be sold as refurbished? Not bad.
    11-25-09 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD