Anyone else experience this? I've had this thing shut completely down twice while on USB charge after a while. Shut down to the point that I had to pull and replace the battery for it to turn back on. This thing is going back I think. Its frustrating. :-/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 10:05 PM
    Same thing with my 8350i I connected it to my mac and now all I get is a red light for a couple seconds then nothing.I've had it 3 days-battery should be fine.Is the usb connection causing this?I'm wondering if phone is to complicated for meIf anyone knows what the problem is please tell!!
    11-21-09 10:20 PM
    Okay. I noticed now that the problem seems to be with my usb charger in the car. I have one of those cigarette lighter usb charger things that you can plug any usb cable into. I have been using it to charge my 9000 for a year now but with the 9700, it never actually charges. So maybe its been overloading it or something. I have it plugged into the computer now and it is actually charging and hasn't randomly shut completely down on me after a while.

Still dunno though... This phone isn't all that much of a jump over the 9000 to warrant a 2yr renewal and all that. Hmph... I'm torn...
    11-21-09 11:40 PM
    Lets hope they fix this pretty soon
    11-22-09 03:02 AM
    It happened to me twice when I had it connected via USB to an A/C to USB adapter. When connected to the USB on my computer it is fine.
    11-22-09 05:46 AM
    It happened to me once so far when I plugged it into a usb cable connected to my computer
    11-22-09 06:06 AM
    So how were you able to fix it?Woke up after charging phone all night and still only get red light for couple seconds then nothing-Did connecting it somehow fry battery?And if so I will just get new battery but then I'm unable to connect via usb?Thanks for any input!!
    11-22-09 07:36 AM
    Sounds like a bad car charger. Get an real OEM one. I had a friend who had his car charger catch his car on fire. Some of these cheaper chargers are not worth saving the money.

It is also not unheard of to have a short in your USB connection and that is why I STRONGLY suggest everyone the charging cradle. It saves ALOT of wear on your new toy!
    11-22-09 07:44 AM
    Use a charging cradle and OEM chargers only if you are having this issue.... Maybe we can narrow this down....I haven't had this issue, but I don't use the plug to charge that often.

11-22-09 07:48 AM
    This has happened to me twice. The 2nd time it took a while to get going. Had to pull battery two times to get it to restart. Love the phone otherwise but I am concerned.
    12-20-09 06:52 PM
    Anyone else experience this? I've had this thing shut completely down twice while on USB charge after a while. Shut down to the point that I had to pull and replace the battery for it to turn back on. This thing is going back I think. Its frustrating. :-/

I haven't had this problem it sounds like a defective unit

12-20-09 06:57 PM
    Okay. I noticed now that the problem seems to be with my usb charger in the car. I have one of those cigarette lighter usb charger things that you can plug any usb cable into. I have been using it to charge my 9000 for a year now but with the 9700, it never actually charges. So maybe its been overloading it or something. I have it plugged into the computer now and it is actually charging and hasn't randomly shut completely down on me after a while.

Still dunno though... This phone isn't all that much of a jump over the 9000 to warrant a 2yr renewal and all that. Hmph... I'm torn...
    Let's deal with the point of your concern first. Try an OEM car charger. If it is not the charger, return it. Does the USB car charger support the new 9700 USB size which is smaller than the 9000.

If you eliminate the charger, it is probably the device in which case, return it.

Get an OEM or Seidio charging pod for the home and office to save the abuse to the USB port. If that is damaged, you will be in a world of hurt.

If the following isn't enough.....

Trackpad is better than trackball.
    OS 5.0 better OS
    Better memory management
    Better battery life
    More memory for apps
    Better camera
    Better screen resolution
    Threaded SMS text
    Streaming video
    Battery door is tight and solid
    Memory card is in a more sensible place (how many times will it be removed?)

Then, keep the 9000 and stay on the sidelines to wait for the Dakota. If that one is not good enough, wait for the next berry.
    12-20-09 07:06 PM
    I have had my Bold 9700 shut down twice while USB connected to a new laptop. I could leave the 9700 connected to my old laptop and this would never happen. Must take out battery and replace to get restarted.
    05-27-10 12:28 PM
    The Blackberry should have exceeded the 500ma power output.
    Did you noticed that your blackberry was really hot before reseting ?
    05-27-10 02:45 PM
    A Genuine BlackBerry 9700 charger provides 700mA at 5V. It says so on the label.

The specification for USB power output is 500mA at 5V. This is why most USB ports do not correctly or fully charge 970s.

Charging a 9700 needs to be done with the Genuine BlackBerry wall charge that came with the phone.

I have successfully use a wall charger for an 8900 which also delivers 700mA but when I used a BlackBerry wall chargeer for an 8100 or an 8310 both of which provide 500mA, charging sometimes worked and sometime not. The 600mA chargers took far longer to charge the 9700 on those occasion when it did actually charge.

Using a USB port (direct from your PC and not via a powered USB hub) somewhat overloads the PC and one or more of the following will happen
    - the USB port will not provide enought current to charge
    - the port will supply enough current but parts inside the PC may get somewhat warmer than normal.
    - the PC will complain about a USB overload..

Most non-BlackBerry wall chargers are current limited to 500mA so please check the current rating before you use any of them.

Some Motorola chargers seem to be compatible with BlackBerrys.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The words Equipment and Manufacturer are pretty much self explaanatory here, so what does the word Original really mean in this context? It could mean that this manufacturer makes/made charger for RIM or, anyone else. So unless the charger is really a Genuine BlackBerry model made for a late mode BlackBerry and is capable of outputting 700mA, then it probably won't do what you want and quickly and fully charge your phone.

Using unregulated car chargers can be fatal to your phone since the car socket puts out 13.2 volts and pretty much unlimited current (power) (up to twice the fuse value).

Happily most modern chargers are nowadays both volatge and current regulated but PLEASE be careful to chek that your is made that way before you connect your $400+ phone to a $5 car charger.
    05-27-10 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD