I just watched this video of the disassembly of the 9700 and I have a question.
    Video Link:

Are there any 'warranty' seals that need to be broken in order to disassemble the phone? (I didn't see any in the video)

I have the replacement warranty for the phone from the store I purchased it from. I am just wondering that if I decide to replace the chrome bezel or other aesthetic parts of my phone if there is anyway of telling that I had opened the phone. (assuming I put back all the stock parts before claiming the warranty replacement in case of a malfunction)

EDIT: Nevermind, I began disassembling the phone and once I removed the bottom housing I noticed a small white sticker over the screw on the left side.

Anyone know anywhere I can purchase these tiny stickers?
    Last edited by Newpunk; 11-21-09 at 06:53 PM.
    11-21-09 06:49 PM
    Bottom housing as in where the carrier logo is displayed?? They put a sticker THERE?!
    11-21-09 08:02 PM
    Bottom housing as in where the carrier logo is displayed?? They put a sticker THERE?!
    Yep. On mine there is a white sticker over top of the screw head on the left.

It is under the lower part of the housing where the carrier logo is on most of the 9700s.
    11-21-09 08:51 PM
    WTF? So replacing the bottom cover voids your warranty, eh? Wow.
    11-22-09 03:43 PM
    Yep. On mine there is a white sticker over top of the screw head on the left.

It is under the lower part of the housing where the carrier logo is on most of the 9700s.
    Once you remove that sticker, your warranty is technically voided.

Everyone who has ever changed their bezel or done any serious mods to their phone has voided their warranty.
    11-22-09 03:52 PM
    You can take off the sticker with careful use of a box cutter. And you can change to "branded" part of the phone without voiding your warranty.
    11-22-09 04:05 PM
    I want to replace the bottom portion (where it says Rogers) with an unbranded one... Will that void the warranty?
    If you think about that, you'll conclude that if you send your phone in for a warranty issue and they see that a part has been removed and replaced and they know they did not do that, they are within their right to claim that your warranty is void.

I'd just go ahead and do what you want. When was the last time you ever returned a phone for warranty? I've had a million phones and never have.
    11-22-09 04:34 PM
    If you think about that, you'll conclude that if you send your phone in for a warranty issue and they see that a part has been removed and replaced and they know they did not do that, they are within their right to claim that your warranty is void.

I'd just go ahead and do what you want. When was the last time you ever returned a phone for warranty? I've had a million phones and never have.
    Check the threads, friend. You're just lucky!!
    11-22-09 06:21 PM
    The sticker is so easy to take off without damaging it you guys shouldnt worry. If anything, it's probably the same sticker from the bold 9000, I don't have the 9700 yet so I'm not sure, but if you do mess it up you could always use the sticker from your 9000.
    11-22-09 08:04 PM
    that's really gonna be the least of your worries if the chrome bezel is like the S1. All the internal wiring is attatched to the center plate that the bezel is connected with. They are attatched with a tacky glue/sticker and can be removed with special care and dissasembled, but it's tricky if you've never done it before.

Also, if you have insurance - there is an ***** clause that will get it replaced for accidental damage - which they honored for me (still had to pay the $89 fee) after I explained what happened (and I was extremely honest here) and got a replacement (refurb) the next day.

So - just a few things to think about before you tackle this project - good luck

Edit - just saw you video link and the bezel looks seperate from the plate. I did notice however that these vids all make it look so easy when in reality the pieces don't come apart that easily as most plates come with a two sided sticker that holds it in place and sometimes attaching it to sensitive parts underneath. There were no warrantee stickers on mine by the way other than the one you mentioned over the screw hole on the back.
    Last edited by rayzryd266; 11-22-09 at 08:27 PM.
    11-22-09 08:20 PM
    I would simply replace the unbranded part with the branded one before returning it for warranty -- however, its not impossible to paint or sharpie out the white Rogers text anyways.

I'm still interested to know whether removing that part rips any warranty seals however.
    I've inferred from some of these posts that removing the bottom cover (where the logo is) DOES rip the sticker and thus voids your warranty .
    11-22-09 10:27 PM
    It doesn't rip the sticker. Not the Canadian ones anyway. And if you replace the unbranded part, just swap it back if you ever need to claim your warranty.
    11-23-09 10:50 AM
    For AT&T customers,
    even if you rip the tape you are still fine under the AT&T 1 yr warranty because they do not check that. The device repair center for AT&T does not check your phone's inside for physical damage, only near the battery where the water damage indicator is as well as the outside. This is true for walk in repairs where they exchange your device on the spot. Mail in repairs... im not so sure about.
    11-23-09 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD