Got my 9700, seems like a great phone but 6/f button does not work and the track pad is sinking toward the screen. I think that when you release a high end phone and charge a high end price it should be build high end. Returned it today and decided to wait for 2nd generation release. Hopefully rim will get their act together with this High End phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 07:09 PM
    I thought this is the 2nd generation.

Got mine on Tuesday and nothing wrong other than I would prefer it a little larger.
    11-20-09 07:34 PM
  3. rfb-BB-user-since-March-1999's Avatar
    I'm sorry you're had a bad experience. I find the 9700 nearly perfect. I bought my bold 9000 one year ago and was awaiting the smaller size and weight, better battery life, more memory, etc for months and I am completely happy with my 9700--though I'm sure I'll be all ears when the next best is near...
    11-20-09 07:39 PM
    What I'm saying is that when you buy a high end phone you should not depend to much on luck regarding your unit has defects or not. If it was not happening a lot I wouldn't even bother posting but looking around I can see too many cases of defects.
    I'm a blackberry fan and enjoyed my 8310 for a long time. Just not interested in spending time exchanging units especially when it suppose to be a top device.

11-20-09 07:43 PM
    I have to agree. For a $600 device, not one workmanship defect should EVER get out.

11-20-09 08:18 PM
    There will never be a "perfect" device for everyone. Someone will always get a defective product down the line. Doesn't matter if its phones, cars, houses, clothes.....everything will have some defective units. Mine is working perfectly fine

11-20-09 08:29 PM
    Yes as a 37 years old I think I know it...Still...

11-20-09 08:41 PM
    I'm with you. I am tired of getting crap from RIM at these price tags. I am soooo tired of this. I did the same thing with my 8900, I just kept getting badly built products. I am getting ready to send back the second 9700 for a third. This whole thing just makes me want to scrap the whole bb thing and move onto something else, but what who knows??
    11-20-09 08:49 PM
    Just breathe and say Goosfraba...it'll make you feel better
    11-20-09 09:36 PM
    What I'm saying is that when you buy a high end phone you should not depend to much on luck regarding your unit has defects or not. If it was not happening a lot I wouldn't even bother posting but looking around I can see too many cases of defects.
    I'm a blackberry fan and enjoyed my 8310 for a long time. Just not interested in spending time exchanging units especially when it suppose to be a top device.

I totally agree. I had to change my 9000 Bold 6 times with Rogers until I finally got the perfect one! Paying this much money, you'd expect a near-perfect device.

11-20-09 10:14 PM
    I thought my 9700 was built great, but now some buttons are making noises they aren't suppose to make when I press them and it's annoying. ATT is sending me a new one now so hopefully this one is good. I never had ANY problems with my 9000. Bought it on ATT release and never had a problem with it since.

I am really liking this device though even with the defects. I can only imagine how much I will like it when I get one that's almost perfect.

11-20-09 10:29 PM
    I agree that the money that we spend for these units, we should be getting better built devices. However, we should not expect perfection from anything! Defective humans cant be expected to build defective free devices. Even my $50k car has a few undesirable faults.
    11-20-09 10:46 PM
    I have to agree. For a $600 device, not one workmanship defect should EVER get out.

I understand your sentiment, and agree in that fact that for the price, I wouldn't let anything "slide" - but expecting perfection all the way around (particularly dealing with electronics) is ridiculous. It's not realistic. And the fact is, despite the grumblings around here, those types of defects are in the vast MINORITY. Actually ask around, and most people are very satisfied with their phone.

Also, not directed at you, but I would hope some people take this into consideration when they're fuming and blogging and ready to go to war about a company taking their time getting a product out to the public - especially a 'high end' one. People are in such a RUSH to get stuff, then when it's RUSHED out to them, they complain about the quality.

So to you, I'd say I'm really sorry you purchased a faulty phone. I hope you are either able to get a replacement, defect-free, or get a refund and move on to a product that is better for you. And to those still whining about the size of the 9700 (lol), give it a rest. The consensus is that 'smaller is better' - this phone is absolutely function-full, and in a slightly more compact version. Get a Touch Pro II or a LAPTOP if you want to spread your fingers while you type/dial... on a mobile phone.
    11-20-09 11:18 PM
    There will never be a "perfect" device for everyone. Someone will always get a defective product down the line. Doesn't matter if its phones, cars, houses, clothes.....everything will have some defective units. Mine is working perfectly fine

well, it seems you want to trade your 9700 for my 9700, you can take my device which has a snap chrome piece and a lose button.

i agree, there needs to be a higher quality control on this particular model. a lot of lemons being sent.
    11-20-09 11:41 PM
    It IS the first generation of the touch pad I suppose. Funny how yours is like that. We have a dummy unit at our store and it's the same way. I thought maybe because it was a dummy they could half *** the build. But on an actual 9700? I think RIM needs to re vamp their quality control. It has happened with the Tours trackball and now we are seeing it happen to the 9700. I hope its an isolated incident.
    11-21-09 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD