I posted this in the 9700 section too but there are probably people here thinking of jumping ship.

I've had my 9700 since launch day--a whopping two days. I've been using Blackberrys a fair amount of time, since the 8700G. Since then I've had the 8800, 8100, 8300, 8900, 9500.

I would have to say that the 9700 is my favorite device. But not by far. The Bold 9000 is a VERY close second. I'm running .344 on the 9700. This is my second 9700 as the first one had to go back due to quality issues with the mute button, trackpad, and squeaking bezel. The new one is perfect. Made in Mexico. I'll be comparing and talking about hardware mostly. We all know how Blackberrys work and operate--there's no point in talking about the operating system.

i can haz a 9700?

Size

This is a subjective issue but I prefer the size of the 9000. Why RIM chose to make the successor to the Bold 9000 as small as the 8900 Curve is beyond me. Despite the Bold 9700's resolution being some 40 pixels more smaller, any perceivable difference in resolution and or image quality is negligible. Perhaps the smaller screen size helps with the improved battery life of the 9700--if that's the case the change is well welcomed.

Quality

Again I'm going to give the nod to the Bold 9000. It's almost too close to call but if I had to pick--it'd be the Bold. The build quality, materials, buttons, bezels, battery cover are just a tad sturdier and better finished on the 9000 vs the 9700. I notice very slight waviness of the bezel and top plate with the "Blackberry" logo. I've noticed on three different 9700s including my own. I also noticed on all three devices a very very slight kind of checkered black and white spots on the very top of the LCD when viewing a white screen such as the e-mail inbox. These appear to be pressure points of how the phone is assembled. That's only speculation but it's there. It's so hard to notice I wouldn't worry about it. There also seems to be people having trackpad wobbling issues so I'll have to give the nod to the Bold 9000.

Power

Yes the 9700 has more internal memory than the 9000 but honestly I don't feel any difference between the two. Perhaps I need to install more apps, do more multitasking. So far both devices run as fast given the Bold is on 5.0. At this point I'm going to say too close to call even though the 9700 is superior on paper.

Aesthetics

Again a subjective topic. My personal preference goes to the Bold 9000. It simply has more presence due to its size and I'm not a fan of the Bold 9700's beveled edges. I do think the 9700 looks better from the rear though.

Keyboard

This is an important topic to many including myself. I can't ding the 9700 on the size but I do prefer the keyboard of the 9700 overall. The 9700's keyboard is quieter, provides better feedback, and feels more solid. It works great and out of all the Blackberrys I've had, the 9700 is RIM's best keyboard. I previously thought all of this about the 9000's keyboard but the 9700's keyboard is just that much better.

Sound quality

The obvious winner is the Bold 9000. It simply has better speakers and one more of them. They're also pointed to the side so the sound isn't pointed away from you. The Bold 9000 is just fantastic in this department. The 9700 cannot compare. The 9700 is good, however being very loud and clear. The sound just has no depth like the 9000 has.

Camera

Duh. The 9700's camera is absolutely superior in every way to the Bold 9000. The Bold 9000 has to be the absolute worst camera I have ever experienced in a phone. Even worse than my Treo 650 from 2005. I don't care about the megapixels because MP is just a marketing gimmick. I don't take my pics at full res anyway, there's no point. If RIM included exposure compensation adjustments in future cameras that would be great. But it does an OK job so far.

Battery life

The Bold 9700 has excellent battery life, superior to the 9000's battery life. Note how I did not say it has a superior battery. They both use identical batteries. I think the smaller screen may have a big impact on the 9700's excellent battery life when compared to the so-so 9000. That and of course OS5 software management.

Trackpad vs Trackball

Initially, the move to a trackpad was a bit awkward. I couldn't manipulate the cursor as accurately as a trackball. Now I've gotten used to the trackpad and believe I am just as accurate and fast on it. The trackball on the 9000 (and other trackballed RIM devices) require periodic adjustments and cleaning. I think the change to a trackpad is a step in the right direction. It's quieter and smoother. I find it operates better and smoother when oils from your finger get a chance to make it slippery. Out of the box it can be a bit sticky/weird.

Signal strength

While I have not ran any controlled scientific tests, the Bold 9700 seems to get slightly better reception, especially in my office. My Bold 9000 dropped a lot in my office, but the 9700 remains strong for the most part with only very occasional dropping. I won't blame the devices for any of this, it's T-Mobile's so-so coverage in my particular area.

Conclusion

While I like a lot of the Bold 9000's traits over the 9700, I still would choose the 9700 over the 9000. The improved battery life, camera, trackpad, and 3G (T-Mobile) are all welcomed to me. The screen real estate on the 9000 is very missed but it does seem to have a big impact on the 9000's battery life. If RIM can produce such a device in the future as big as the Bold but with all the modern enhancements and a bigger battery, I would be game. For now, this 9700 is top dog. Good job, RIM!

If there's anything I missed or messed up, let me know!

By the way:

Save the USB port on your precious new 9700s. By repeated use of the USB port from charging, the USB port will tear away and/or get loose thus rendering your device useless. I highly recommend getting a USB charging port. I'll post pics soon when I get mine for the 9700. I've used one for my Bold 9000 for a year and it was worth EVERY penny. Cheap too.

Amazon.com, OEM RIM Blackberry 9700 (Onyx) Bold 2 charging pod
    11-20-09 05:58 PM
    Thank you for review!
    It's thorough and points to all important things to be considered for jumping to new 9700. Let me say, it really is tempting to jump...

Anyhow, I'm staying with my old Bold, for the time being. But that's just me!

BR
    11-20-09 06:30 PM
    Great review, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 06:30 PM
    Excellent review. Very Fair.
    11-20-09 07:54 PM
    Nice review Op. I will be sticking with my 9000

11-20-09 07:56 PM
    Great and unbiased review.
    11-20-09 08:44 PM
    So...in the end...its not worth getting the Bold 2 over the original Bold, right ? I still love my bold...waiting for something muchhh muchhhh better...
    11-20-09 09:02 PM
    Thanks for the review, very appreciated. I'm just not letting go of my 9000
    11-20-09 09:03 PM
    Great review, very unbiased I must say. Provides good information for owners thinking of jumping ship. I must say I am very tempted myself. However, will stick to my bold.

Good job!

11-20-09 10:56 PM
    I appreciate the review. I also am sticking with my 9000, but I have to admit; the 9700 interest me. Mainly because its new.

11-20-09 11:08 PM
    thanks for the review. i had been thinking about upgrading here soon...but i think i'll just keep my 9000...
    11-20-09 11:19 PM
    Thanks for the review and comparisons. I'll stick with the 9000 for now; main reason being keyboard size...fits perfect in my hand.

11-21-09 01:21 AM
    I have just seen the 9700 up close and personal. Prior to this, I might say that my interests could have persuaded me to jump ship. However, after having held it in my hands just now, I was left feeling disappointed. The phone is considerably smaller in size and it just doesn't feel as comfortable holding it compared to the bold. The build quality also is more solid on the bold. Keyboard was also disappointing for me. Sigh, oh well.

11-21-09 02:56 AM
    I agree in many points with you, but if i had to switch to another Blackberry, it would not be the Bold 9700, cause even with the new features and characteristics, it just doesn't look as sexy as the Bold 9000 (well personal opinion).

Cheers
    11-21-09 06:43 AM
    Maybe if I was due for an upgrade, and nothing better was on the horizon. By the time April comes around I think there will be something better coming. Very good review though!
    Last edited by Najo; 11-21-09 at 07:50 AM.
    11-21-09 07:40 AM
    I went and looked at one yesterday. I have to say that the only thing keeping me from buying it was the size. It just felt so small in my hands. I thought the Tour was a little too small, but the 9700 is waaaay to small. I hope that this isn't the direction that RIM is going in.
    11-21-09 07:46 AM
    Great review. Confirms most of what I experienced when I tested a 9700 against my 9000. Though you should edit your camera section to state that despite having a better and larger camera, the 9700 is still limited when it comes to the video camera. There is no difference in quality when recording video. The bold shoots at 480 x 320 while the 9700 shoots at 480 x 360. Both are blurry and show pixilization. Both have the same 624 mhz processor but the onyx has made some tweaks and runs slightly faster. Also the battery life is superb on the onyx. The speakers are perhaps the worst I've heatd yet. They're worse than the tour and curve 8900 even. Maybe that's how battery life is saved. Also for any people wondering, despite the onyx being so small, it weighs roughly the same as the bold. Though it doesn't feel as solid. The new pressure and slide battery door is amazing though and I doubt it will get loose like the bolds did. All in all, if you are rocking the 9000, keep it and wait till the new magnum/dakota. if RIM offered the 9000 with more memory, a trackpad and a better camera, I would get it soooooo fast..

11-21-09 09:56 AM
    How is the vibrate on the 9700? I hope better than the 9000 which is pi$$ poor.

Last edited by JD914; 11-21-09 at 10:49 AM.
    11-21-09 10:41 AM
    How is the vibrate on the 9700? I hope better than the 9000 which is pi$$ poor.

Forever29 says the vibrate on the 9700 is great - much better than the 9000. Just passing that along - I don't have the 9700 myself.
    11-21-09 11:16 AM
    Great review!

11-21-09 06:24 PM
    Great review... and the hamster pic is priceless
    11-21-09 06:36 PM
    You truly gave me an insight whether to upgrade or not. The 9700 looks like the 88xx series' keyboard size, which although is cramped does the job.

Nothing can truly match the Bold 9000's physical styling down to the microsd slot conveniently placed on the side of the phone rather than behind the battery door cover on the 9700.

The only 'real' upgrade is the trackpad technology, but then again I heard rumors that the Essex will have the Bold 9000's keyboard and trackpad = winning combination IMO.

I have big hands so the spacing of the keys on the 9000 is perfect for me. I will definitely go to an AT&T store when it is released and try out for myself.

My upgrade with AT&T has been due for the past 4 months now, but in all honesty it's the network I'm the most concerned about. If I have the same experience with 3G coverage and dropped calls on my Bold 9000, I'd hate to imagine having deja vu all over again.

Again, I appreciate your time comparing various devices to the 9700, as I have also come from a long line of Blackberries
    11-21-09 07:06 PM
    You truly gave me an insight whether to upgrade or not. The 9700 looks like the 88xx series' keyboard size, which although is cramped does the job.

Nothing can truly match the Bold 9000's physical styling down to the microsd slot conveniently placed on the side of the phone rather than behind the battery door cover on the 9700.

The only 'real' upgrade is the trackpad technology, but then again I heard rumors that the Essex will have the Bold 9000's keyboard and trackpad = winning combination IMO.

I have big hands so the spacing of the keys on the 9000 is perfect for me. I will definitely go to an AT&T store when it is released and try out for myself.

My upgrade with AT&T has been due for the past 4 months now, but in all honesty it's the network I'm the most concerned about. If I have the same experience with 3G coverage and dropped calls on my Bold 9000, I'd hate to imagine having deja vu all over again.

Again, I appreciate your time comparing various devices to the 9700, as I have also come from a long line of Blackberries
    The tour2/essex uses the same keyboard as the tour 9630 which is the same keyboard as the bold 9700. As for vibrate, the onyx is ridiculous. So loud and it really vibrates hard.

11-22-09 12:39 AM
    I also considered upgrading to the 9700, but on having a play around with it in a store plus the specifications on the phone, I decided to stick with my 9000. IMO, the 9700 is only an incremental upgrade and not 'mindblowing' enough to warrant a change. Still a great phone if you do not have the 9000.

11-22-09 06:56 AM
    Great feedback!...These are the details people really want to know before they buy or switch to a new device...I love my bold...9000 that is..LOL...All white with a black trackball..I'm still a little not to sure about the 9700...AT&T added it to there website today...

11-22-09 08:27 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD