I have been using Blackberries for business for almost 10 years. I was at the Verizon store the day that the Storm 1 was released. I have been a huge proponent of the viable nature of the Storm in the marketplace...

I received an early upgrade from Big Red and headed out to get my new Storm 2. I played with it for about 30 mins at the tore messing with the phone and wow, was it a dissapointment! While it was a little better than Storm 1, not much so. So I started looking around the store at the new android phones and found the Droid. Wow, it was light years beyond anything I had ever used. The web browsing experiance was as close to an actual PC as I have ever had on a phone, and the integration with all the apps with the OS was stellar. I purchased the droid and have been using it over the last few days with great results. It is so far advanced from my Storms it makes me embarassed for RIM.

I don't mean to bash the Storm of BB, but it really makes me wonder why a big inteligent company like RIM is so far behing the marketplace? The browser on Storm 2 sucks just as bad as the 1st one. Even with wifi...however this Droid is insainely fast, smooth, and almost perfectly rendering. Even some flash works and will fully work in Q1 next year. The new 2.0 OS is akin to the BB 5.0 OS...but soooo much smoother and better integrated. Why can RIM not update to what has now been status quo for apple/htc/motorola? Is the current RIM OS now outdated like the Palm software was before the Pre?

Come on RIM...loosing customers who have been with you for years should say something!
    11-20-09 12:44 PM
    So, I gave up and replaced my Storm I with an iPhone. RIM never really fixed the browser in the new Storm. I also evaluated the Storm II. Not much there and if I had needed to stick with Verizon, I would have replaced the Storm with the new Android.

Guess I need to find an iPhone board to hang out at.

Anyone want to purchase a Storm I???
    11-20-09 01:35 PM
    My Storm2 does everything I really need it to do. I'm quite happy with it.

The iPhone is one **** of a device, but I am just not ready to (a) wait for my current Verizon contract to expire, (b) pay an early termination fee, or, most importantly, (c) switch to AT&T's network. It may be fine in some areas, but not where I am. That's really the major thing holding me back from the iPhone.

As far as the Droid, I'm impressed by a lot of what it does, but I'm still not sure it's "ready for prime time" just yet...and I really didn't like the motorola hardware. Just my opinion, but for those who like it, that's awesome--it seems like a great device that will continue to gain marketshare.

The other big thing for me is that Blackberry is still the only device I can my work emails on (without circumventing current policies), so that's another reason I'm sticking with RIM. Again, different people have different needs, and this is one example where Blackberry fills MY need where others can't.
    11-20-09 01:58 PM
    I don't think rim is light years away I think there phones are job par with the droid if not better. I mean I just don't trust moto at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 07:12 PM
    I'm a bit off topic but my curiosity is overwhelming. My question is about the "early upgrade". Is that something they offered you? Any idea what criteria they use to make that offer? Thanks.

11-20-09 08:14 PM
    How fast do iPhones and Droids receive emails?

11-20-09 08:36 PM
    has any one with storm had dust under camera screen? i took it off and cleaned dust off. but its glued. i stuck back on and was wondering if it will stay on now.
    11-20-09 10:18 PM
    Emails come throught in about 10 seconds from the tests I have done. I can not test with an enterprise server as I don't use one...but normal web based mail is plenty fast.

While I am also not a huge Moto fan, this device feels like something they put the future of the company behind. It is all metal, super rigid, and super responsive. I'm mean lets be honest...how many of us wedged Leicester of folded paper behind the battery door to make the screen better on our storm 1s? Build quality is obviously not high on the RIM budget either...too bad because all my previous blackberries have been bullet proof.

Have continued to love my Droid and been very happy with the diverse apps available for it. I again am shocked at how lacking the blackberry experiance has beengoing back and looking at my old phone. I too sat up till midnight for The next hybrid release, hoping that it would fix the Ned for daily battery pulls. Oh, I can't use my camera on this release, but at least it doesn't crash and the accelerometer is fast...give me a break!

How do we as consumers drink the RIM punch on this one. Not bashing...cause I did it too. I sang the storms praises until I found a phone that just plain works like it is supposed to. And so far I have not even seen what the battery looks like...much less pulled it!

And yes...light years ahead is the android 2.0 OS. Hardware is a hard thing to debate (although a processor spec compairison would be a sad sight for the storm 2 folks) it is hard to debate what the hardware could do...just what it can do with the current OS. So far in the existance of any blackberry, there has never been a browser so fast, and efficient in rendering pages. How can they just not copy someone else? Blackberry always had the email thing on lockdown...now Google stepped in and made the Droid to completely run as an email and web powerhouse.

Sad day fellow crackberries...
    11-23-09 12:14 AM
    Emails come throught in about 10 seconds from the tests I have done. I can not test with an enterprise server as I don't use one...but normal web based mail is plenty fast.

While I am also not a huge Moto fan, this device feels like something they put the future of the company behind. It is all metal, super rigid, and super responsive. I'm mean lets be honest...how many of us wedged Leicester of folded paper behind the battery door to make the screen better on our storm 1s? Build quality is obviously not high on the RIM budget either...too bad because all my previous blackberries have been bullet proof.

Have continued to love my Droid and been very happy with the diverse apps available for it. I again am shocked at how lacking the blackberry experiance has beengoing back and looking at my old phone. I too sat up till midnight for The next hybrid release, hoping that it would fix the Ned for daily battery pulls. Oh, I can't use my camera on this release, but at least it doesn't crash and the accelerometer is fast...give me a break!

How do we as consumers drink the RIM punch on this one. Not bashing...cause I did it too. I sang the storms praises until I found a phone that just plain works like it is supposed to. And so far I have not even seen what the battery looks like...much less pulled it!

And yes...light years ahead is the android 2.0 OS. Hardware is a hard thing to debate (although a processor spec compairison would be a sad sight for the storm 2 folks) it is hard to debate what the hardware could do...just what it can do with the current OS. So far in the existance of any blackberry, there has never been a browser so fast, and efficient in rendering pages. How can they just not copy someone else? Blackberry always had the email thing on lockdown...now Google stepped in and made the Droid to completely run as an email and web powerhouse.

Sad day fellow crackberries...
    11-23-09 12:15 AM
    I feel u guys. I too am leaning toward the droid. I just don't like the hardware form.

11-23-09 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD