I called AT&T to get my phone unlocked and the rep told me that along with the iPhone they don't have unlock codes for the Bold. Is this true? Anyone here that has gotten their Bold unlocked through AT&T? Please verify.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 09:23 AM
    Not true.. I got my unlock code from them. Call back and talk to another CSR.
    11-20-09 09:53 AM
    Some of the reps don't know what they are doing or don't know anything or arn't of any help because they are new.

But call again and try. It worked for me the second time. The first time some guy didn't know how to do it obviously and gave me the run around with transfers. The second call to 611, luckly i got a better rep.

If it helps, try saying your going out of country and you need it to use a 3rd party sim.

I have a business/premiere account with At&t so that might have helps.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get it sooner or later.
    11-20-09 09:53 AM
    I had no problem getting one recently. Basic plan, new customer, only had the phone for about a month at the time. You just got someone lazy or not-fully-trained.
    11-20-09 09:55 AM
    11-20-09 09:57 AM
    Why bother, because the unlock from the carrier is free. Lets compare prices.....
    11-20-09 09:58 AM
    Why pay when you can get it for free??
    11-20-09 09:59 AM
    Call back and speak to a different rep.
    I got my unlock code free by calling AT&T. No questions asked
    11-20-09 10:02 AM
    He also said that I needed to add world roaming to my account at an additional 5 bucks a month? Do I need to do that? I want to have my facts straight before I call again.

11-20-09 10:10 AM
    No thanks!

11-20-09 10:12 AM
    No thanks!

They work. They advertise on CB all the time! and get your unlock code without any problems. Calling AT&T to get hassled out of unlocking your phone is a waste. But you can easily tell them, by calling AT&T that you are leaving the country and need it unlocked, and they will do it too. But if that's too much, just buy it. What does $8 do? it unlocks your phone. Stop being naive.
    11-20-09 10:22 AM
    He also said that I needed to add world roaming to my account at an additional 5 bucks a month? Do I need to do that? I want to have my facts straight before I call again.

thats complete BS, because if you would be really unlocking it to go to another country and use the phone then you wouldn't be using an ATT sim anyway and thats only a carrier thing they were talking about because the bold is quad band for world use anyway.

Just call up and say you need a network subsidy unlock code and if you have a good standing account then its the law for them to provide a code for you, but worst case just buy one on ebay and I've bought some legit ones for under $4 so even if u call a few times and no one knows wtf they are doing and wont get you one, then its alright because they are not the only ones who can give you one
    11-20-09 10:25 AM
    I got my unlock code free by calling AT&T. No questions asked
    same here. they didn't give me the code over the phone, said they would email it to me within a week - i got it the next morning.
    11-20-09 10:30 AM
    They will give them out....sometimes real new devices with new IMEI blocks have not been loaded in there system yet...hence the need to send it out. If they have to send it out, they will email you in 24-48 hours. No biggie....
    11-20-09 10:36 AM
    Ridiculous. They're just trying to milk more money out of you. They must give you an unlock code for free, it's none of their business why you want it and you don't need anything additional to get it. If you get a CSR who has no clue what they're doing (actually it's tough to find one at AT&T that does know what they're doing) just ask for a supervisor. It's absolutely foolish to pay for an unlock code when you don't have to.
    11-20-09 11:24 AM
    They work. They advertise on CB all the time! and get your unlock code without any problems. Calling AT&T to get hassled out of unlocking your phone is a waste. But you can easily tell them, by calling AT&T that you are leaving the country and need it unlocked, and they will do it too. But if that's too much, just buy it. What does $8 do? it unlocks your phone. Stop being naive.
    It's actually $14.99 not $8 but anyway I got it unlocked for free via ATT the second time around with no hassles. Thanks to everyone who provided me with info.

PS I would suggest anyone wanting an unlock to do it through their provider, no sense in paying something you can get for free

Last edited by JD914; 11-20-09 at 01:05 PM.
    11-20-09 12:47 PM
    Awesome @ JD

I'm probably going to call up AT&T tonight for the code, i have the Bold9000 on att and wanted to see how sucessful it has been with other users
    AT&T has been known for, well, screwing me over, with the OS 5 just restarting and restarting on ATT
    11-20-09 01:00 PM
    Yeah if you have the option to call in and get an unlock code from your carrier, I would go down that avenue before paying for a third party service.
    11-20-09 01:24 PM
    Awesome @ JD

I'm probably going to call up AT&T tonight for the code, i have the Bold9000 on att and wanted to see how sucessful it has been with other users
    AT&T has been known for, well, screwing me over, with the OS 5 just restarting and restarting on ATT
    I got mine about 10 days ago from AT&T..just make sure you go to Technical Support; when I got mine the CSR sent me to that department.
    11-20-09 03:00 PM
    I called AT&T to get my phone unlocked and the rep told me that along with the iPhone they don't have unlock codes for the Bold. Is this true? Anyone here that has gotten their Bold unlocked through AT&T? Please verify.

Screw that bro! Call back and talk to a different rep. I've gotten an unlock
    code from them 3 times. Two Bolds and an 8900 Curve. You do not have to
    get their roaming plans. It's your phone and you have every right to the code.
    11-20-09 03:25 PM
    It's actually $14.99 not $8 but anyway I got it unlocked for free via ATT the second time around with no hassles. Thanks to everyone who provided me with info.

PS I would suggest anyone wanting an unlock to do it through their provider, no sense in paying something you can get for free

I was going to call ATT to get my unlock code for my bold but when cell unlock was running that free unlock codes for 2 days the first time, I got my unlock code from them.. I refuse to pay for an unlock code when I can get it free.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    11-20-09 07:28 PM
    Yeah but if you cannot get it for free from your carrier because you do not meet their requirements that's where our services come into play and with no hassles or objections whatsoever.
    11-23-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD