So the other day I brought my S1 to VZW with a screen issue, they initiated a referb process, During there umm concentration I was scoping out the Droid...and well yep I bought it! Had it for just over 30hrs and ended up hating it! So returned it for the S2. Only had it about 6 hours now but I'm wondering. Has anyone shrunk the OS? Or is it not even necessary?. On a funny note, while talking to the rep who talked me into the Droid and also handled the switch, He was a in a conversation with my wife while I was playing with so demo's. She asked him if he has a blackberry or a Droid, caught my eye so I glared over only to see him pick up my Droid "the one I returned" and he said "oh yea, this one's mine and I love it" then proceeds to say that most people that have purchased an S2 return it for the Droid, he also said there is more S2 returns than they've seen with the S1.... Well there was a husband/wife at the counter next to us having there S2's activated..I'm very observant..lmao.. Just thought that was hoot... no Droid for me, I'm hardcore crackberry baby!

Back to the question--- is it possible or even necessary at this point?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    11-20-09 03:21 AM
    I have done it. No its not necessary but I can't leave well enough alone. I do have over 130MB of free memory and several 3rd party apps installed.

No difference in operation as the stock loaded OS has plenty of memory left over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 03:29 AM
    not necesary, i boot at 128 with several 3rd party apps, and never drop under 128 w/ heavy data n media use. memory is not a issue on a s2. so no need to shrink.
    11-20-09 03:45 AM
    Lets say I wanna play? Where can I get the exe file so I can shrink it?
    11-20-09 04:08 AM
    Lets say I wanna play? Where can I get the exe file so I can shrink it?
    Easy enough...download the OS either from Verizon or from the Sticky at the top of the forum here. Install it on your PC. Do a search here for Shrink-A-OS and download it, or get it from BBHybrids.net.

Install it and place it in your OS Loader folder (NOT the Java or CDMA folder). Run the program, remove what you don't want, then install the shrunk OS on your 9550.

I'm assuming you've done this before and understand the risks. If you have NOT done this before, I offer a warning, absolve myself of any responsibility for what you do to your device, and encourage you to do some heavy research in these forums first.

Now I say, "Good day to you, sir."
    11-20-09 04:22 AM
    contact your service provider
    11-20-09 04:45 AM
    I'm well versed = ) My S1 has never played on an official OS for too long..lol.. Are there any noticeable speed improvements or just free space? And how much free space is obtainable?
    11-20-09 12:05 PM
    That is a great question! How much memory can be freed up by shrinking out everything possible? I probably wont be shrinking my S2 OS because I have 35 apps and I'm still sitting at 100 MB all day. Fyi I kinda went crazy after the upgrade from the S1 and downloaded every app I was even curious about. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 01:24 PM
    Any S2 owners wanna chime in?
    11-20-09 11:17 PM
    No need. I have 33 apps/games on my S2 and am sitting at 107MB.
    11-21-09 12:07 AM
    There is no need. And "shrinking" your OS to get rid of media does nothing to gain app memory. All media is stored on a 100MB partition which is seperate from app memory. This partition never decreases if you delete stuff from it. It also never increases as it's static. This has been proven many times by me and others here. Still not sure why people do it any more..

Don't believe me? When you get your new phone do a little search on where that sample movie, song, and wallpaper are. You will see it is all in the 100MB partition. This holds true to the newer devices.

Older devices on the other hand had some of this sample media installed as programs, like the sample video and could be uninstalled and gain app memory. This is no longer the case with new devices.
    11-21-09 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD