Have a Curve 8330 from Verizon with 8Gb Sandisk MicroSD card. Have audible.com and a few hundredM of stuff until tonight. Was reasonably fast overall. Added 7.1Gb of music to the folder Blackberry/music (not music...). Now very slow doing anything. Anything else with this problem? Almost like it can't handle 2000 music files though the card still has about 400M left on it.

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    05-18-08 09:30 PM
    You may have a memory leak, but I dont know if thats for certain with the 8330. try deleting some music and see if it speeds up.

If it does then you have the choice of deleting forever off the device or readding at your own will.
    05-18-08 09:33 PM
    Bet you haven't done a Battery pull (rebooth)
    05-18-08 10:08 PM
    multiple battery pulls! While trying to use the phone, I went back into media/music program and noted that there were more entries in the All Songs group. At this point, I am close to 2 hours into this and it is clear that the phone is VERY SLOWLY building an index of the songs. I would guess this will take over 4 hours at this rate. Will let you know what happens then. Each song is taking about 10 seconds.
    05-18-08 10:33 PM
    So what is the verdict?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 07:22 PM
    after many hours, BB went back to normal speed. However, only indexed half the files (started with L-Z). Not sure why. I deleted all music files off microSD card. I worked on cleaning up names with some software on the PC over last several days. Am using media manager to copy files to BB this time, then let sit overnight to index.
    05-22-08 08:36 PM
    Here is something that I learned and curious as to wether or not anyone else has experienced this. 1st I used the Roxio MM on my work computer and that worked fine that way. (Encoding from 128k mp3 to 64k mp3 directly to the music sd/BlackBerry/music folder on my sd card) This was great at work but not so great on my home computer. I wanted a program I can use on both work and home computers. Media Manager was removed from my home computer due to performance issues. And I really can't spend time going through 13,000+ songs (64gb) on my HDD to figure out want I want to put on an 8gb card. Anyways, back to the comparison... Media Manager 64k mp3 directly to music folder on sd card caused a huge lag in performance on my 8130. And I understand that it's indexing but like "sjsdoc" said it indexed in weird ways. Mine started with the BE... and I have Artist that start with numbers and A's and other B's that are listed before that in Mass Storage mode (Windows Explorer) Now for my 2nd test. Someone had stated that they used Windows Media Player to transfer music. First I will say this is honestly the easiest way to scan through my music and listen, transfer... (I like to create a WMP Playlist first than just move over to the sync side and start sync) but this too takes time, but not as much as Roxio. I set the setting to once again encode 128k mp3's but this time to 64k wma's. The default setting also did Folder Heiarchy which creates folders within folders. Example, Artist, Album Folders, Songs. (Oh! if the you don't have an Album Name in WMP for the song you choose it will create a Folder Heiarchy like this... SD/Music/Artist/Unknown Album. I figured out after I couldn't see songs on my Pearl I know I put on the card that any Unknown Album Folder will not show on your phone but will show in Windows Explorer). So anyways, I chose about 1100 songs let it run for its conversion (45-60min) The one thing to note is that it creates a "Music" folder outside of the sd/BlackBerry folder, ex: sd/Music. When it was completed all my music was there and my Pearl performed with no lag?!?! That's weird, same amount of music but what a performace difference. One thing to think about is that everytime you do a SoftReset (program) or a battery pull, your music indexing starts over. Now being the anal person I am I moved all the songs from the heiarchy folders and moved them to the sd/BlackBerry/music folder like it was when I did it through Roxio but this time there were wma's. I thought maybe the format had something to do with it but i guess not. After I Reset my phone it began to index and it had huge lag like the 1st time thru Roxio. Once again starting with BE.... what the heck! It seems that when the songs are in the Heiarchy Folders that WMP created there is no lag, but put those same amount of songs in the music folder directly and lag, lag, lag.

Now I have to start all over as I had moved everything. I Formatted my SD Card and I will try to go thru WMP11 again and see if this is the cure.

P.S. For those that are wondering I prefer to encode to a smaller size, it is to double the amount of songs that I can have on my Pearl. Plus, with a mono speaker or headphones the quality is still rather good.

Tests:

2x - SD/BlackBerry/music {MP3/WMA}= LAG! (No Folder Heiarchy)

1x - SD/Music {WMA}= No LAG! (Folder Heiarchy)

Anybody try this let me know.
    Last edited by supercasper; 05-23-08 at 07:15 PM.
    05-23-08 07:00 PM
    I had 7.75 gigs and it was incredibly slow, I also realized most songs were duplicated in 2 files (error on my part), one I cut it half and left it alone to catalog everything, which took a while, it works great now. No hang ups and works well.
    05-23-08 07:53 PM
    nolemike93, what about after Reseting or Battery Pull?
    05-23-08 08:57 PM
    Once I deleted my duplicate files and reduced the amount on the card I haven't had to reset or pull. I suggest opening the media player on the phone and let it sit while it catalogs all the songs. Maybe that will help. I haven't had any problems at all. Not one pull has been done.
    05-24-08 12:07 AM
    I do the SoftReset once a day. I noticed that the cataloging of my music starts all over again. Annoying. But when I did it thru Windows Media Player I pulled it off the computer and right away it start cataloging but didn't have lag.

05-24-08 12:27 AM
    After second try thru Windows Media Player and around 1600Songs indexing done in about 5 min.

No lag

05-24-08 06:48 PM
    I had the same issue with my BB Curve 8330 + 16gb Sandisk MicroSD card. I finally landed on a good method. Before I get into that, allow me to share some of my knowledge of organizing one's music collection:

One of the benefits of having an extremely well-organized music collection (both ID3 tags AND file names) is that you can easily locate the music you want even if your collection is gigantic (I store all my music in a folder that contains 22,000 songs, with no subfolders. Every track is tagged with an artist, genre, album, year, track numbers, art, etc. I do the same for all my file names.) It's a royal pain in the ***, but if you're serious about your tunes, invest the time. It's worth it.

1 - I used Windows Explorer to copy my music, because I don't dig bloatware like the Roxio media manager. User-friendly my ***!!!

First, ensure that you enable mass-storage mode on the BB when you plug it in.

2 - Open two Windows Explorer windows: your root music folder (the source) and Blackberry --> Music folder (the destination). Simply drag and drop the tracks from the source directory to the destination directory.

3 - Once your music is done transferring, unplug the BB, do a battery pull and then turn it back on.

4 - Once it turns back on, be prepared for some SERIOUS slowness. The BB now has to index all of the tracks, and depending on how much ID3 tag information you have, this could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. I have 14 gb of music on my card and I had to wait almost 4 hours for the BB to finish indexing my tracks. I suggest you transfer your music before you go to bed and let the BB sit with the media player open overnight. You'll know it's working when you see a little progress bar at the bottom of the screen that says "Scanning".

5 - If you're running other apps while you do this, like a GPS app or even bluetooth, the progress goes even slower. Just be patient.

DONE! Now I have 2,500 tracks on my blackberry with a set of wireless bluetooth headphones. I can ride my bike without wires getting caught up in my handlebars, and I can even answer calls with the BB still in my pocket by pressing the answer call button on my headset. If you're wondering, the headset model is the Motorola HT820.

Enjoy.

R-
    01-19-09 02:30 PM
    nevermind...
    Last edited by theYuck; 01-19-09 at 08:08 PM.
    01-19-09 08:01 PM
    Here is something that I learned and curious as to wether or not anyone else has experienced this. 1st I used the Roxio MM on my work computer and that worked fine that way. (Encoding from 128k mp3 to 64k mp3 directly to the music sd/BlackBerry/music folder on my sd card) This was great at work but not so great on my home computer. I wanted a program I can use on both work and home computers. Media Manager was removed from my home computer due to performance issues. And I really can't spend time going through 13,000+ songs (64gb) on my HDD to figure out want I want to put on an 8gb card. Anyways, back to the comparison... Media Manager 64k mp3 directly to music folder on sd card caused a huge lag in performance on my 8130. And I understand that it's indexing but like "sjsdoc" said it indexed in weird ways. Mine started with the BE... and I have Artist that start with numbers and A's and other B's that are listed before that in Mass Storage mode (Windows Explorer) Now for my 2nd test. Someone had stated that they used Windows Media Player to transfer music. First I will say this is honestly the easiest way to scan through my music and listen, transfer... (I like to create a WMP Playlist first than just move over to the sync side and start sync) but this too takes time, but not as much as Roxio. I set the setting to once again encode 128k mp3's but this time to 64k wma's. The default setting also did Folder Heiarchy which creates folders within folders. Example, Artist, Album Folders, Songs. (Oh! if the you don't have an Album Name in WMP for the song you choose it will create a Folder Heiarchy like this... SD/Music/Artist/Unknown Album. I figured out after I couldn't see songs on my Pearl I know I put on the card that any Unknown Album Folder will not show on your phone but will show in Windows Explorer). So anyways, I chose about 1100 songs let it run for its conversion (45-60min) The one thing to note is that it creates a "Music" folder outside of the sd/BlackBerry folder, ex: sd/Music. When it was completed all my music was there and my Pearl performed with no lag?!?! That's weird, same amount of music but what a performace difference. One thing to think about is that everytime you do a SoftReset (program) or a battery pull, your music indexing starts over. Now being the anal person I am I moved all the songs from the heiarchy folders and moved them to the sd/BlackBerry/music folder like it was when I did it through Roxio but this time there were wma's. I thought maybe the format had something to do with it but i guess not. After I Reset my phone it began to index and it had huge lag like the 1st time thru Roxio. Once again starting with BE.... what the heck! It seems that when the songs are in the Heiarchy Folders that WMP created there is no lag, but put those same amount of songs in the music folder directly and lag, lag, lag.

Now I have to start all over as I had moved everything. I Formatted my SD Card and I will try to go thru WMP11 again and see if this is the cure.

P.S. For those that are wondering I prefer to encode to a smaller size, it is to double the amount of songs that I can have on my Pearl. Plus, with a mono speaker or headphones the quality is still rather good.

Tests:

2x - SD/BlackBerry/music {MP3/WMA}= LAG! (No Folder Heiarchy)

1x - SD/Music {WMA}= No LAG! (Folder Heiarchy)

Anybody try this let me know.

This seemed to make the indexing take a reasonable amount of time...and a little less sluggish while scanning. I'd expect indexing over 2000 songs to take around 20 mins which is more like it. Thanks!!

I'm on a Bold, btw...so anyone out there create a folder called 'Music' on the root of the sd card and put the music there instead.
    03-09-09 10:42 PM
    I was told not to put any card bigger than 2 GBs on my BB curve as it will run super slow and be hard to load...but it's great you got so much music in yours
    03-09-09 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD