Tried asking in a few different threads but no answer...

Does anybody know how to "unbrand" a phone? I.E. Remove all Telus images from the startup, default wallpaper etc...is this possible? How easy is it?

Thanks!!!
    11-19-09 05:34 AM
    yes its possible but there is a risk to **** up your phone.
    11-19-09 05:36 AM
    It can not be done by us mortals.

The branding is hardwired into the ROM, at the factory, and only RIM could do this. No updating of the OS or anything else will change it. Even if you got into this programing, you would brick the device forever. There are others who claim they can but I have never seen it done
    11-19-09 05:36 AM
    It can not be done by us mortals.

The branding is hardwired into the ROM, at the factory, and only RIM could do this. No updating of the OS or anything else will change it. Even if you got into this programing, you would brick the device forever.
    ? You can unbrand your phone. It requires software that is not supposed to be in the hands of consumers, as it is proprietary to RIM. Do some google searching, you'll find a certain forum that has several people devoted to figuring it all out.

The branding of the phone is held in a file called a VSM. You can see part of the VSM info by holding ALT+SHIFT+H, which displays the Help Me! screen. The Vendor ID is the carrier that is associated with the VSM file on your phone. The VSM file contains startup pictures and other phone settings (like 2G, 3G, and 2G+3G network selection).
    11-19-09 05:42 AM
    generally you can not!

Yes there are people who have this software, likely stolen from RIM.

Having this would elevate you slightly away from being mortal! <vbg<

My cat wants to know if your avatar is with you blowing us a kiss or what?
    11-19-09 05:46 AM
    Hmmm sounds too risky to fiddle with being that I am mortal and know very little of computer/software programming etc...I will just buy an unbranded handset next time. Thanks for the replies! So quick!
    11-19-09 05:56 AM
    Like the other poster indicated, it can be done but you would have to send you phone to them as they do not sell the software.

Just enjoy your device!
    11-19-09 06:01 AM
    Ya. too risky to unbrand. Guess will had to live with it.
    11-19-09 07:57 AM
    RIM does sell devices, but there are at full price... since i have never got a handset from them i dont know if the splash screen says a carriers name or is it says BlackBerry...
    11-19-09 08:09 AM
    How about scratching off the exterior logos? Funny how the rest of the phone will show signs of wear over time but that logo branding stays on there like the day you got it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 08:22 AM
    RIM does sell devices, but there are at full price... since i have never got a handset from them i dont know if the splash screen says a carriers name or is it says BlackBerry...
    I have an unbranded Blackberry and it shows a Blackberry/RIM splash screen on boot.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 11-19-09 at 08:40 AM.
    11-19-09 08:31 AM
    ? You can unbrand your phone. It requires software that is not supposed to be in the hands of consumers, as it is proprietary to RIM. Do some google searching, you'll find a certain forum that has several people devoted to figuring it all out.

The branding of the phone is held in a file called a VSM. You can see part of the VSM info by holding ALT+SHIFT+H, which displays the Help Me! screen. The Vendor ID is the carrier that is associated with the VSM file on your phone. The VSM file contains startup pictures and other phone settings (like 2G, 3G, and 2G+3G network selection).
    Since you seem to know the way, can the same VSM from the 9000 be used for the 9700? I didnt know if they were phone specific (different sets for different models) or Vendor ID specific (all phones on that carrier use that VSM file)
    11-19-09 08:38 AM
    You can get the rim program MF loader and you can load a vsm file through the program. Usually a while after the phone comes out you can find these files on the net somewhere but since the phone just came out it might be a while before someone has a vsm file for it. I do believe its specific for the model phone. I couldn't find a vsm file for my 8900 until about 6 or so months after it was released. The mf loader program is powerful, you can do everything from unlocking the phone, to unbranding it, to using custom images at boot up/shutdown. But as other have said, you can seriously mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 08:52 AM
    Since you seem to know the way, can the same VSM from the 9000 be used for the 9700? I didnt know if they were phone specific (different sets for different models) or Vendor ID specific (all phones on that carrier use that VSM file)
    No it can't be used as the screen sizes on the two phones are different, therefore the images in the VSM would not be compatible. I will work on finding more unbranding info for the 9700. I just got mine and haven't had the desire to do it yet.
    11-19-09 12:00 PM
    I'm very interested in getting the VSM files for the 9700. I could not care less about removing the Vendor splash screen ect... Only reason I want this done is because I Need to activate the UMA functions on my Rogers branded 9700...
    11-21-09 09:44 AM
    boraturbo,

its easy. you dont need to unbrand the phone to do it.

PM me with your PIN so I can help you with it. It takes 5 minutes
    11-21-09 10:02 AM
    Interesting thread. Just a heads up, because I've seen it become an issue elsewhere: when you're talking unbranding you're getting into stuff that RIM and the carriers take very seriously. While it can be done, the fact that doing so requires obtaining proprietary goodies not available to the public leads CB to frown on these threads. We want to share knowledge IMO, but not necessarily instruct people on how to get into shady activities. Just my opinion.
    11-21-09 10:11 AM
    boraturbo,

PM Sent
    11-21-09 10:19 AM
    added you. accept it
    11-21-09 10:36 AM
    Does UMA work with carriers that don't support it? I'm getting an OEM 9700 and my carrier doesn't support UMA, will it still work?
    11-21-09 12:14 PM
    Does UMA work with carriers that don't support it? I'm getting an OEM 9700 and my carrier doesn't support UMA, will it still work?

No it does NOT, you need to put YOUR carriers Server settings in your UMA options menu in order for your phone to get authenticated by your carrier.
    11-22-09 07:28 AM
    No it can't be used as the screen sizes on the two phones are different, therefore the images in the VSM would not be compatible. I will work on finding more unbranding info for the 9700. I just got mine and haven't had the desire to do it yet.
    What if I don't care about the splash screen size being the 9000's versus the 9700. Would anything else be affected? I just want my 9700 Unbranded as AT&T blocks Blackberry Maps which I use regularly for geotagging and company vehicle locating.
    11-23-09 01:10 PM
    boraturbo,

This would be very useful evrynet. Is it a pain to do?
    01-04-10 01:45 PM
    it did not work, as far as we know theres no way to remove the vendor id.
    01-04-10 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD