Hi all,

For those of you having problems with voice dialing on OS 5.0.0.328, can you please respond to this thread with the following information:

1. Scope of the problem - are you having issues with low/garbled volume from the voice prompts (no impact on call quality), or are you having issues with calls not completing after the voice prompt confirmation (and it works fine the second time you try).

2. Are you seeing these problems all the time when using voice dialing, or is it just sometimes?

3. Are you seeing the problems with or without using a bluetooth headset/speakerphone? If it's always just when using a bluetooth headset or speakerphone, please list the make and model of the headset/speakerphone.

I will be passing along all of the information I get here to RIM.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

EDIT: Just to add, I do not work for RIM in any way shape or form. But I do have someone looking into this issue and the more info I can pass on, the sooner they'll hopefully be able to track down the source of the problem. There are no guarantees that there will be a quick fix for this. At least with this info though, we can hope that the problem will be resolved in the next update.
    Last edited by Krypto; 12-02-09 at 12:12 PM.
    11-19-09 12:21 AM
    I just received a replacement Storm and it has the same voice dial issues as my previous device on 328. I have tried doing the training, but the results are the same.
    - Does not recognize numbers correctly when speaking a phone number. It not only missess digits, but also interprets numbers wrong
    - It does not pull up the correct name in my contact database when speaking a name

Both of the above issues are via my Plantronics 510 headset and without it. VZ support did not have an answer for me, except to send a new phone. Pre 5.0 voice dial worked flawlessly.
    11-19-09 08:55 AM
    I've received 3 replacements in the last two weeks believing there has been a software/hardware incompatiblity. The VAD has acted the exact same in all phones. It's the new VAD software they are using. You noticed they changed it from the previous operation version. And the Storm 2 does not use the same VAD software. Compare the options in Voice Dialing to previous Storm 1 os version and Storm 2. It doesn't play well with Bluetooth, hangs on the call, doesn't recognize commands and bascially a flawed part of the new os. No other complaints about the .348 for me but afraid to upgrade to Storm 2 because RIM may adopt this same VAD vendor to this phone. Want to jump ship but there really isn't a place to jump to.
    11-19-09 09:46 AM
    Meant to say .328 NOT .348 in my previous post. Sorry
    11-19-09 09:52 AM
    I use only the phone and no BT but it always brings up the wrong people when I try to place a call. Like everyone else prior to 5.0 it worked for me. I also tried the adaptive learning feature and that was no help. Thanks for collecting this info and passing it on.
    11-19-09 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the start. Again, when posting, please provide direct responses to the questions above so that I can forward along a concise description of the problems.

Mondial87, thanks, I've noted your problem and Bluetooth experience in the report I'm putting together.

Brumfieldtax, I'm trying to help them figure out the source of the problem, so I just need concise responses to the questions above. I've already informed them that some people are having problems with the system and they have acknowledged my info (note, there was a problem with the 4.7 OS VAD (volume issue) which already has a KB article... Looks like they just need to work out the kinks in this version as well).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 10:03 AM
    Thanks Iainsauto!

11-19-09 10:04 AM
    1. low return voice when verifying. High failure rate when identifying contact.
    even after training.. for what it is worth .. can not be trained with bluetooth
    Problems are not bluetooth dependent.
    Hangs and fails to actually dial the call after confirmation on occasion .
    2. Always exhibits low return voice.. Will hit the correct contact sometimes
    3 I believe it is in all modes though I use bluetooth Plantronics 600 series
    4.. I had no trouble whatsoever with 4.7..
    It is the interaction between the new VAD software and the contacts in my opinion that is causing the problem

5.0 OS
    11-19-09 11:00 AM
    1. I have problems with completing calls after voice confirmation.

2. It happens all of the time if I have my phone hooked up to my car speakers using a FM transmitter; after getting voice confirmation, it just hangs and does not dial the number. I did not have this problem before I updated to 5.0. The problems are occasionally if just using my bluetooth headset and the phone is not hooked up to car radio (when this happens, the second time it works).

3. I use a BlueAnt V1 bluetooth headset. This is what I am using when I have the problems mentioned in 2 above when in the car (which I did not have before upgrading). I have not tried this without using my headset, but if you want I can update this message the next time I am in my car.

Thanks.
    11-19-09 11:09 AM
    Hi all,

For those of you having problems with voice dialing on OS 5.0.0.238, can you please respond to this thread with the following information:

1. Scope of the problem - are you having issues with low/garbled volume from the voice prompts (no impact on call quality), or are you having issues with calls not completing after the voice prompt confirmation (and it works fine the second time you try).

2. Are you seeing these problems all the time when using voice dialing, or is it just sometimes?

3. Are you seeing the problems with or without using a bluetooth headset/speakerphone? If it's always just when using a bluetooth headset or speakerphone, please list the make and model of the headset/speakerphone.

I will be passing along all of the information I get here and hopefully RIM will be able to resolve the issues with the next OS update.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

EDIT: Just to add, I do not work for RIM in any way shape or form. But I do have someone looking into this issue and the more info I can pass on, the sooner they'll hopefully be able to track down the source of the problem. There are no guarantees that there will be a quick fix for this. At least with this info though, we can hope that the problem will be resolved once and for all in the next update.
    1. Issues with VAD understanding what I am saying despite doing the voice training 3 times. Issue on the rare occasion when it does understand what I say, it does not process the command. Does not work on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time
    2. Problem is all the time
    3. Do not use bluetooth or speaker phone, just directly talk into handset

Like others, had no problem on 4.7
    11-19-09 11:24 AM
    VAD does not work through BT when you have the car stereo aux jack plugged it.

It's annoying...it sometime tries to work...but fails. If I unplug the audio cable it works. It's also annoying because on this OS it no longer defaults to a hands free config when plugged in to the stereo...before it would play your phone call through the car speaker and the speaker phone mic would pick up your voice....this was really nice. But now I have to use my BT or else I will be fumbling with the phone when receiving a call. Of course to Voice Dial it doubly annoying because I have to unplug the cable to be able to use it.

1. I have low volume on the confirmation prompts.

The recognition seems to be better than it was on the phone I just replaced..it actually get things right sometimes where before it was unusable. I have not tried to voice adapt on this phone yet.( I did on the old one and it still hardly worked.)

2. Low volume confirmation prompts is all the time I am pretty sure.

3. Jabra VBT2050
    11-19-09 12:03 PM
    For what it's worth, I was having all the problem previously mentioned in this thread. I was all set to downgrade to.323.

So, this past weekend I wiped my phone and reloaded .328

I did not use anything from backup. I synced my calandar & contact list from my desktop and reloaded all apps from scratch. Now VAD & BlueTooth are woking great as with other OS's.

Don't ask me why, but it is. I did this because some people were having problem and some were not. So I figured it was a compatibility issue.

Give it a try.
    11-19-09 12:45 PM
    1. Issues with VAD understanding what I am saying despite doing the voice training 3 times. Issue on the rare occasion when it does understand what I say, it does not process the command. Does not work on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th time

Ditto for me. And I just got a replacement for another reason and it has all the same problems.

I use the Blackberry VM605 bluetooth speakerphone and that doesn't help.

During training, it even got stuck on me. Training made no difference. The accuracy is almost as if it makes a random guess.

On the occasion when it does get it right, it either locks up on the white screen and never makes the call, or it proceeds to the next contact even though I said "yes" when it says "did you say call...".

4.7 worked just fine for me too.
    11-19-09 01:03 PM
    1. low return voice when verifying. High failure rate when identifying contact.
    even after training.. for what it is worth .. can not be trained with bluetooth
    Problems are not bluetooth dependent.
    Hangs and fails to actually dial the call after confirmation on occasion .
    2. Always exhibits low return voice.. Will hit the correct contact sometimes
    3 I believe it is in all modes though I use bluetooth Plantronics 600 series
    4.. I had no trouble whatsoever with 4.7..
    It is the interaction between the new VAD software and the contacts in my opinion that is causing the problem

5.0 OS

Exact same: low voice confirmation volume is all the time, of course. Accuracy is ~50% or less for me, used to be 90-95% with 4.7.
    Hanging and failing to actually dial the call after confirmation occurs about 30-40% of the time. When that happens, it doesn't seem to work on a second attempt - I end up selecting the contact and initiating the dialing directly from the phone..

Voice dialing for me is always through BT - using Jawbone Prime,

All are new problems since 5.0.

Thanks.
    Were they truly not aware of this bug beforehand? Surely the low voice confirmation volume had to be known since that is ubiquitous for everyone. It was nice and loud in one of the later 4.7 leaks (maybe 167?) - almost too loud, but I would take that back in an instant.
    I also miss being able to adjust the volume of any part of the BT command sequence, which was an option previously.
    11-19-09 02:25 PM
    Here are my issues:

- No beep after prompts
    - Not accepting Yes/No commands
    - Extremely poor translation of voice commands to address book. Same performance on plug-in headset, bluetooth headset, speakerphone and handset speaker.
    - When disconnecting, phone sometimes blacks out and have to do battery pull (probably not related to voice dialing but thought I'd throw it in anyway)

I've given up using it at this point.
    11-19-09 02:56 PM
    Krypto,

Until you mention this I never gave it a thought to the OS causing my issues with the BT. I just replaced two storms within 5 days and they both had the issues stated. One other issue I had was my media player would just start playing random song. I believe it was caused by the BT.

So as the newest Strom OS goes I am finding more dislikes about it.
    11-19-09 03:05 PM
    I have my storm lock/freeze up about a third of the time. I then dial from the handset. I don't have recognition problems.
    11-19-09 03:41 PM

Same here. I Just stopped using it out of frustration.
    11-19-09 03:45 PM
    1. The problem is not recognizing the command, ofetn not even close. After several tries, when command is recognized, it hangs up and never dials. Also, command response volume is OK, but the identity of callee is very low. Interestingly, if I return the system all the way to my Home Screen, the calls go through OK. It seems to be only when call from any specific application.

2. This occurs when using bluetooth, speaker or handset.
    3. Problem occurs even when not using speakerphone or bluetooth.
    4. I use the Jabra GNM-OT3, but tried a Plantronics with the same result.
    5. VAM was great before upgrading (downgrading?) to 5.0.
    11-19-09 06:00 PM
    Using BT doesn't work 90% of the time.
    Before it worked 90% of the time.

I used training and it just got worse. Using the defaults now.
    11-19-09 08:25 PM
    I don't see why this is so hard for RIM. It worked fine in 5.0.0.230. They essentially broke it. Tell them to go back to the old version. It's not a 4.7 vs. 5.0 problem.
    11-19-09 08:25 PM

Thanks Krypto for taking this on. VAD is one of the things I miss most.

1. Low voice. Does not recognize my requested contact.
    2. Failure rate is 90 -95% of the time. Very unusable.
    3. No bluetooth or speaker phone. Possible some background road noise.
    11-19-09 08:59 PM
    voice confirmation works fine but never dials the number. useless at this point.

11-19-09 09:28 PM
    Thanks for all this info guys! I'll send a report on Saturday... won't be around next week, but hopefully I'll be able to pass on some more info the week after.

In the meantime, there was a suggestion that was made earlier that got me thinking... what happens if you wipe your phone (just a security wipe, not an OS wipe and reinstall) and only restore specific databases such as messages, contacts, calendar, etc... in other words, leave out as much as possible, especially bluetooth and VAD settings. Does this help at all? If a couple of you wouldn't mind trying I'd appreciate it (I already did this when I reloaded last time, but my only problem all along has been the occasional inability to complete the VAD command, so I can't confirm much of anything regarding this myself).

Again, thanks a lot for the info and I'll keep you all posted if I find anything out.

P.S. As to the comments regarding RIM knowing or not knowing, I have no clue what they knew or now know, but not all phones are experiencing these issues, so it may have been something that was missed during OS testing in house.
    11-19-09 11:39 PM
    not enough on board app memory to run .328 on a gen1 Storm... No Bueno! Go back to 4.7 and enjoy antiquated technology. <----(period)
    11-20-09 12:43 AM
119 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD