You know, I like a good joke as much as the next guy, I really do. However, this is taking it too far. I've never been addicted to crack, so maybe you would be likely to say that I have no right to be offended. Comparing the "plight" of our consumer, capitalist, materialistic society (so-called "CrackBerry addiction") to that of anyone who has actually suffered from a real addiction is absurd and obscene and disgusting. I have struggled with substance abuse problems all my life and whenever I hear someone casually claiming that they are an addict it hurts. It brings back memories that I've been working to forget and problems that I've struggled to overcome for years now. There's nothing funny about addiction and I feel quite confident when I say that none of you here actually suffer from a genuine addiction. To me, people who casually sling the word "addict" around are as bad as anyone who would dare to use the n-word. I appreciate that, for anyone else, this wouldn't be the case. It's just ironic, though, that in today's world of excessive connectivity and communication, courtesy and consideration seem to have gone by the wayside.
    11-18-09 11:55 PM
    Hmm, you bring up an interesting point. I too have dealt with "real" addictions (sober for 11 years, smoke free for 6 months). That being said, I think that the term "addict" is very over used, but I don't expect that to change. How many times have you been hungry and said 'I'm starving"? Were you TRULY starving? Probably not. Its the same thing with this whole blackberry or crackberry addict thing. Are any of us really addicted to our devices? Maybe? I know that my blackberry is the last thing I put down before I go to sleep and the first thing I pick up in the morning - kinda reminds me of the alcohol and cigarettes I am now free from.
    So I guess if you are clean and sober today, that is fabulous. If you find the term "crackberry" or blackberry addict offensive, then maybe check out some of the other blackberry sites out there that don't use those terms. Remember "live and let live".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 12:21 AM
    Rolls eyes.

11-19-09 12:25 AM
    Whilst not as severe as a drug addiction, people are genuinely addicted to their device. I dont know anyone personally addicted to a Blackberry but i know of people who lieterally cant go for a few hours without facebook. They do not have the self control to stay away from something therefore they are addicted.

I sort of see where you are coming from though, im 6 weeks smoke free tomorrow so know all about physical addiction!
    11-19-09 07:54 AM
    Welcome to America, land of the offended. Perhaps your time and energy would be better spent on things more productive than looking for reasons to be offended. I'm not trying to downplay addiction, but come on...
    11-19-09 08:08 AM
    I was married to an addict. I have been addicted to nicotine for almost 30 years. When I compare these things to the addiction to the blackberry, it's the same thing. Sneaking off to play with the blackberry because you're hiding it from family and friends is the same thing as alcohol, marijuana, crack, cocaine etc., addictions. I know people who have this addiction. Honestly, for some the addiction to their blackberry is no joke.

11-19-09 08:14 AM
    I feel quite confident when I say that none of you here actually suffer from a genuine addiction.
    Really you know every member here personally, get the **** of your high horse. If you don't like it then leave.
    11-19-09 08:24 AM
    Really you know every member here personally, get the **** of your high horse. If you don't like it then leave.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    11-19-09 08:28 AM
    as a person that has been clean 22 months.....and comin from where i have been and what i've lost cause of addiction....i'm so good with the word ADDICT.....i realize that i can be addicted to so many things....Food,Shopping,Sex....ya dig....I just remember to b Honest n Accept who n what i am.....people have the right to feel how they feel,,,,when they feel...LIVE AND LET LIVE
    11-19-09 09:24 AM
    Chumkid, stop looking for pity, start looking for self worth or your going to fail at recovery!
    11-19-09 10:41 AM
    Chum kid, stop looking for pity, start looking for self worth or your going to fail at recovery!
    Spoken from someone who has truly failed recovery!!!!! Kidding JR
    11-20-09 05:45 AM
    I really thought this thread was going to end with some sort of punch line. Petty ridiculous thread if you ask me.
    11-20-09 11:02 AM
    Its amazing the things I read on CB some times.
    12-01-09 07:22 PM
    Thanks for sharing.
    12-01-09 08:33 PM
    Well said...

12-01-09 08:54 PM
    Good Story
    12-01-09 09:02 PM
    OP is just mad because he can't smoke crack in moderation like the rest of us. Everything in moderation my friend.
    12-02-09 04:55 AM
    And by the way ChumKid, your not really an addict until you hit 500 posts
    12-02-09 04:59 AM
    I have an addictive personality, for someone to tell me I am not infact not addicted to my blackberry and all blackberry related stuff is pretty crazy!!

12-02-09 05:15 AM
    I believe that 90+% of society is addicted to cell phones period.

Many people can't go without their cell phones and on top of that a smartphone or a blackberry in this case that does much more becomes that much more "addicting". It becomes hard to put down and somtimes overrides other priorities.

Although it may not be a physical addiction like that of drugs or alcohol it is still considered an addiction in the normal sense.
    12-02-09 06:19 PM
    cool story bro
    12-03-09 02:55 PM
    While the majority of Blackberry "addicts" aren't really addicted, there should be something said for those that legitimately ARE addicted to them. I've heard stories about folks who literally CAN'T put them down. They interfere with face-to-face time with family and friends, jobs, and other important facets of their lives they ignore because they're glued to their phones. This kind of addiction can have just as dire of consequences as substance abuse - lost job, lost spouse, etc.

As a self-proclaimed addict, yourself, why would you think it's ok to judge the addictions of others?
    12-14-09 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD