Other than they're on different networks, is there really a difference between the tour and the new bold?

Just got mine 9700 today, and although it's a fine upgrade to my curve, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal over the other newer units out. Same wifi, lame browser, but it is quicker, trackpad is nice.

I feel that if Rim doesn't come out with a hybrid touch screen/qwerty device soon, all will be lost to competitors.
    11-18-09 11:01 PM
    just got my bold2 after have a 9630, totally destroys it, no comparison.
    11-19-09 12:34 AM
    The Tour doesnt have wifi.... that is what it lacks.
    11-19-09 01:13 AM
    It looks identical, except for trackpad of course.
    11-19-09 01:17 AM
    I like RIM because they make devices with great communication related features like email, instant messaging, maps, facebook, twitter, phone calls, contacts... Everything else like touch, games, photos are secondary and just nice/cool to have. As long as RIM makes great communication devices they will do just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 01:24 AM
    quality is night and day. the tour was just stupid. I'm glad they finally got something right.
    11-19-09 01:37 AM
    i have both phones. Bold 9700 is smaller en slicker have WiFi and trackpad.
    I think Bold 9700 is the Evolution of the Tour.
    11-19-09 03:15 AM
    well i have both phones and personally, i like the feel of the tour because it's bigger. i didn't get a bold because i never wanted at&trash service and im slightly upset that the new one is as cramped to type on as the 8900 and i have small hands
    11-19-09 03:22 AM
    Lets not forget the 9700 has a faster processor
    11-19-09 03:42 AM
    I currently have an 8800 on AT&T and need to get a new BB. I have never been 100% pleased with AT&T service, especially the call quality. Friends tell me that Verizon has much better service than AT&T. Even so I am leaning towards the Bold on AT&T since it is a newer model than the Tour with a track pad, WiFi, and faster processor.

Should I stick with AT&T and get the Bold 9700, or does the better service of Verizon justify switching carriers and going with the Tour? Any advice would be appreciated.
    12-22-09 07:57 PM
    I currently have an 8800 on AT&T and need to get a new BB. I have never been 100% pleased with AT&T service, especially the call quality. Friends tell me that Verizon has much better service than AT&T. Even so I am leaning towards the Bold on AT&T since it is a newer model than the Tour with a track pad, WiFi, and faster processor.

Should I stick with AT&T and get the Bold 9700, or does the better service of Verizon justify switching carriers and going with the Tour? Any advice would be appreciated.
    If you're really wanting to switch to Verizon, hang on because the Tour 2 will be released in the near future.

12-22-09 08:01 PM
    the tour is a slower device and it doesnt have wi-fi to be honest I own both the tour and the bold and the tour is no comparison its not even close
    12-22-09 08:05 PM
    No Wifi- The anti-competitive POS that is Verizon disabled the **** out of it.
    12-22-09 09:12 PM
    I feel that if Rim doesn't come out with a hybrid touch screen/qwerty device soon, all will be lost to competitors.
    They have one coming, but there are only a certain percentage of users who actually desire that feature - I for one am not.
    12-22-09 11:03 PM
    9700 is better looking, has wifi, has trackpad, faster processor, better battery life.
    12-23-09 01:21 AM
    LoL.. The tour is fast enough!

12-23-09 07:28 AM
    I loved my Tour until I took my Bold out of the box. Had to use both while Verizon lied to me about porting my number. Once I got everything straightened out I never picked up the Tour again, except to take pics and box it for sale.

The trackpad, call quality and better use of 3G sold me. Of course everyone has to do what works for them, but I couldn't go back to the Tour after using the Bold
    12-23-09 08:28 AM

I have noticed that Verizon has better coverage and signal strength almost nationwide (but not everywhere) my biggest complaint is the higher cost, they lock out features and the fact that it is a pain to change devices.
    12-23-09 08:33 AM
    My BlackBerry 9700 with AT&T is SO MUCH better than the Tour 9630 on the Verizon network, even though they claim the devices have basically the same hardware except Wi-Fi and the new track pad (which is a very good change). Below are several areas that are better with the 9700. And I cannot think of one single thing that the Tour does better than the 9700. Either the 9700 does it better or just as well as the Tour. Note: I work in Plano, TX and spend most of my time in the North Dallas, Plano area. Dallas/Ft. Worth is a major metroplex so you would think I could get the best reception that both networks have to offer. I had to pay an early termination fee to switch from AT&T to Verizon, but it was SO worth it! I would pay it again in a heartbeat!

1) The Bold 9700 reboots faster: From 6 minutes with the Tour to 2 minutes with the Bold 9700

2) The Bold 9700 has a smaller size: The smaller size of the 9700 allows me to protect it with a hard case and still fit in my pocket as easily as the Tour did without a case.

3) I can call any local number with no issues: I'm serious; this shouldn't be a problem with any carrier in the year 2010! There was one number - my gym (LA Fitness) that my Tour COULD NOT call. It would attempt to dial and fail within 3 seconds every time. It became a joke at my gym that they had blocked my number for some reason. I had a ticket open with Verizon for over a month. They called me three times and had me try dialing the number while they watched what happened but were never able to solve it. To top it off, the gym number is a Verizon land line and it would not communicate with my Verizon Wireless number! Then I found out they had eventually closed my ticket because they didn't know how to solve the issue. They said that when the BlackBerry OS 5.0 software update became available that would fix the problem. Of course I downloaded it and it did not fix the issue. With my new 9700, I have no problem at all. I ported the same number over to AT&T so obviously it had nothing to do with my phone number just "the network."

4) No 160 character text limit!! I am so happy about this! When I left AT&T over a year ago and switched to Verizon, I have regretted this issue ever since that day. Verizon will not let you type over 160 characters in a text message. It just stops; you literally can't type another letter. A Verizon tech support rep told me that it was a BlackBerry issue and I would have the same problem if I went back to AT&T. Not so. I can type up to 6 messages of 160 character length and it will just split the messages up automatically when it sends them. Either the rep was lying or didn�t know what they were talking about.

5) Battery life: The battery life is better on the Bold 9700 and I could tell the first day I used it. They make no secret of this; you can see it in the specifications on BlackBerry's website. The Tour has up to 14 days Standby time and 5 hours Talk time. The 9700 has up to 21 days Standby time on GSM (17 days on UMTS) and up to 6 hours Talk time.

6) Reception (voice): I had so many reception issues with Verizon. Several spots in my office building caused me to drop calls frequently or did not have reception at all. And forget about trying to keep a call going if I had to walk up or down the stairwell. There were isles in my local grocery store that I could not walk down if I was on the phone because I would lose connection and even in my apartment I had dropped calls frequently and spotty reception. I had opened support tickets with Verizon and spent several hours on the phone talking to their technicians. The only �solution� they could offer me was to buy a $200 signal booster for my home and another for my office. They say they can guarantee coverage outside but not inside buildings. It is ridiculous to expect me to spend $400 to increase my mobile reception for signal boosters which are not mobile.

My first phone with Verizon was a Curve 8330 and then I upgraded to the Tour 9630 after opening several support tickets with Verizon and being "sold" by a sales rep that the Tour had better reception because it supported 4 bands instead of two. It didn't help one bit. I found out later that the extra two bands are only for international use. Thanks a lot! Again either the rep was lying or didn't know what they were talking about. Now with the 9700 I have no issues in my office building; I even get 5 bars of service in the stairwell! In the first week of owning the 9700 I have had a couple of dropped calls while driving in my car with AT&T, but they are spending $18 billion to upgrade their network this year to handle the additional traffic with the iPhones and the new iPad so I am hopeful those will be minimized. Also the 9700 has Wi-Fi and the Tour does not. I haven�t used it yet, but it's definitely better have it than not.

7) Reception (data): So...obviously if you read the last two paragraphs you can see that my call reception is better. But even download speeds seem to be the same or better so I have not suffered any loss there either.

With all that said, the Tour is not a horrible phone. It does all the things that the 9700 does except Wi-Fi. The camera quality is amazing on both phones, but the reception problems and the Verizon 160 character text limit were too much for me to deal with. The gym telephone number issue and reboot times were minor issues. The battery life, while not as long as the 9700, was still very good.

So...is it the phone or the carrier? Is it the Bold 9700 vs. the Tour, or is it AT&T vs. Verizon? I don't know, but both the phone and the network seem to be better for me with the 9700 on AT&T.
    05-06-10 01:58 PM
    6) Reception (voice): I had so many reception issues with Verizon. Several spots in my office building caused me to drop calls frequently or did not have reception at all. And forget about trying to keep a call going if I had to walk up or down the stairwell. There were isles in my local grocery store that I could not walk down if I was on the phone because I would lose connection and even in my apartment I had dropped calls frequently and spotty reception. I had opened support tickets with Verizon and spent several hours on the phone talking to their technicians. The only �solution� they could offer me was to buy a $200 signal booster for my home and another for my office. They say they can guarantee coverage outside but not inside buildings. It is ridiculous to expect me to spend $400 to increase my mobile reception for signal boosters which are not mobile.
    Exactly my story. I left Verizon for AT&T and got Bold 9700 (didn't want iPhone, have iPod Touch). I had LG Dare before with Verizon and Droid for just few weeks. The call quality, both voice and data, on 9700 is much better compare to both previous phones. I noticed a few occasional dropped calls, but also had them with Verizon. And I live in the "excellent" Verizon coverage area.
    05-06-10 08:13 PM
    The Tour is pretty good. Just no wifi.
    The keyboard is really good though.

05-06-10 10:05 PM
    Tour was homo had one and went back to my cinderblock bold 9000, 9700 is the best bb iv the owned trackpad alone destroys the tour

05-06-10 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD