how can i use my modem as tether modem? i tried tetherberry and worked, but it costs $50, is there any way to do it for free ? maybe a similar program like tether berry?
    11-18-09 03:45 PM
    Free not likely, but there a few options either direct T-Mo or 3rd party apps like TB.
    11-18-09 03:48 PM
    It's TOTALLY free (with tmobile). Just load up the latest desktop manager software. Right there in the main window is a button to use the 9700 in tethered mode!
    11-18-09 04:11 PM
    Thats awsome...why do they charge for that app then?
    11-18-09 04:20 PM
    I will post the modem settings in about an hour when I get home

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Phone #: *99***1#

Extra initialization commands: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

User name and password should be blank.

If you are running Desktop Manager 5.0.1 there is a new feature called IPModem. When your BB is connected click that and it will create a connection profile and all you need to do is modify it with the information above.
    Last edited by TheBronx; 11-18-09 at 05:14 PM.
    11-18-09 04:22 PM
    How about AT&T? Anyone have any methods for doing this for free?
    11-18-09 04:26 PM
    You'll need to pay another 30 bucks a month to "legally" get tethering on AT&T.
    11-18-09 05:40 PM
    Thats awsome...why do they charge for that app then?
    Because it's an easy set up and supposedly is a work-around for Verizon and ATT customers who have to pay extra.

11-18-09 05:43 PM
    thank you it worked fine with desktop manager! is there any way to do it with a mac ?
    11-18-09 06:48 PM
    It's TOTALLY free (with tmobile). Just load up the latest desktop manager software. Right there in the main window is a button to use the 9700 in tethered mode!
    Thanks, will try it now
    11-18-09 07:12 PM
    Hello guys,

just bought my 9700 today, very excited but a bot frustrated that I can't seem to figure out the tethering with my mac with either Bluetooth or USB. I would love if somebody post the instructions to tether for both BT and USB for the MAC computer? I use a Macbook 10.5.8 and I have T-Mobile as a carrier.

Thank you sooooo much in advance for any help!!!

Peace and light your way....
    11-18-09 07:13 PM
    hey whats up yall

im a lil confused on how to set up the tethering to work i got to the part where u put the

but when it comes to this bottom part im lost....

if any one can help me let me know.. u can email and i will send my ## thanks so much
    11-18-09 10:17 PM
    Hello guys,

...MAC computer? I use a Macbook 10.5.8 and I have T-Mobile as a carrier...
    Peace and light your way....
    Via bluetooth (assuming you've already paired the phone with your computer):
    System Preferences > Network > Select Bluetooth then create a new configuration or just modify the default.
    Telephone Number: (just leave this empty)
    Account Name: guest
    Password: guest
    Click "Advanced..."
    Vendor: Research in Motion
    Model: BlackBerry IP Modem (GSM)
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    CID: 1
    Hit "OK" then "Apply" and you should be able to connect.

Via USB (assuming you've downloaded the Mac Desktop Manager)
    Launch the Desktop Manager and connect phone to computer
    System Preferences > Network and you should notice the Blackberry as an available connection type (you may even get a prompt saying a new connection type has been detected).
    Use the same settings as above.

If you have problems connecting, go back to the "Advanced..." screen and double check those settings. I've found on a couple occasions that they got reset to defaults, perhaps when I made some changes on the main screen. HTH
    11-18-09 11:12 PM
    well im on a windows pc so not sure if its the same setting
    11-18-09 11:35 PM
    mswscco its working perfectly..and fast too. Loving my 9700 even more now. Thanks for posting.
    11-18-09 11:45 PM
    What does tethering do different? Do you use it for the internet? I just got my 9700 today. A major upgrade from the curve.

11-18-09 11:49 PM
    mswscco its working perfectly..and fast too. Loving my 9700 even more now. Thanks for posting.
    Can you run some benchmarks from dslreports.com while tethered over bluetooth? When I tried it, I couldn't get over 300-400kb/s on the flash 8 / Sprint / Chicago test. Pretty much the rest were the same, that was the server with the most steady results so I used it the most.

Tried two different laptops, one with XP and the other Win7. Changed and tweaked about every setting I could easily see, nothing had an effect. Also, are you running the stock .330 firmware or have you updated to the .344 version that's out there?
    11-19-09 03:48 AM
    hey whats up yall

im a lil confused on how to set up the tethering to work i got to the part where u put the

but when it comes to this bottom part im lost....

if any one can help me let me know.. u can email and i will send my ## thanks so much
    You have to go into the modem setup for the pseudo modem that is added to the windows configuration when the blackberry drivers are loaded (this used to require the desktop manager software to be installed, not sure if that is still required).

The blackberry modem is (I think) typically installed as com3 "standard modem"
    11-19-09 03:56 AM
    Can you run some benchmarks from dslreports.com while tethered over bluetooth? When I tried it, I couldn't get over 300-400kb/s on the flash 8 / Sprint / Chicago test. Pretty much the rest were the same, that was the server with the most steady results so I used it the most.

Tried two different laptops, one with XP and the other Win7. Changed and tweaked about every setting I could easily see, nothing had an effect. Also, are you running the stock .330 firmware or have you updated to the .344 version that's out there?
    I used speedtest.net and don't get over 580-590 kbps when tethering. I get around 1.2-1.4mbps on AT&T.

Weirdly enough, on the phone, AT&T 3G feels ridiculously slow compared to Tmobile 3G on the 9700.
    11-19-09 04:13 AM
    post your speed test while tethering with your tmo 9700 3g!!!
    11-19-09 07:55 AM
    You'll need to pay another 30 bucks a month to "legally" get tethering on AT&T.
    Tethering is $10.00/month on my AT&T corporate plan.
    11-19-09 08:47 AM
    Where in the DTM? i do not see it? Tmobile told me they wont allow or support the 9700 bold cause of it;s 3g. I got arounf it and got it working to tether. They lied. LOL
    11-19-09 01:53 PM
    T-mobile is slow on 3G here in El Paso,Texas. Barely getting .3 to .6 mbps heh
    Yuck! i rather have At&t. but i have unlimited everything for 79.99 with T-Mo.
    I got my friends Droid tethered with verizon when verizon said it didnt have the software for it. Man that sucker was getting 2.2mbps!!! Love that Droid.
    11-19-09 01:56 PM
    +1!

Thank You!
    11-21-09 08:09 PM
    T-Mobile 9700 to MacBook

BT:

USB:

USB (Wi-Fi)

I'd been on EDGE or CSD speeds before this, so I'm not complaining. Not sure why wi-fi is slow? I'm on a 1.5M/264k cable service.
    Last edited by mswscco; 11-23-09 at 02:20 AM.
    11-23-09 01:53 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD