Motorola DROID cameras silently patched? � Boy Genius Report

We and everyone else that has managed to get some hands on time with the Motorola DROID came to the same two conclusions � it�s a damn good smartphone, but its camera couldn�t focus for beans. Overnight, however, our tips line was literally flooded with reports that the DROID�s autofocus camera was finally doing its job and, well, automatically focusing. First reporters were humorously utterly convinced that their wiping off the anti-glare coating on the lens was responsible for the improvements, but as more and more people starting chiming in it became increasingly apparent that someone, somewhere was hard at work behind the scenes pushing out a silent update ahead of the oft-discussed OTA update due out on December 11th. Such a silent update is a bit of an odd move, but to be perfectly honest, it could go either way. We�re not convinced it improved our camera performance as we never had an issue focusing. Our issue was even though the boxes went green to signal a �lock� our pictures still came out blurry. But we�re curious; how many of our readers with a DROID have experienced a tremendous improvement in camera performance?
    11-17-09 07:14 AM
    Simply put, this is awesome! I went from red 99% of the time to 100% green with noticable sharpness. Verizon, Motorola, and Google should be commended on how quickly they responded to customer complaints and fixed the issue. This is in huge contrast to the half assed way RIM dealt with all the Storm problems. One more reason why I'm glad I ditched my Storm!
    11-17-09 07:20 AM
    i think your right something is different for the good.
    11-17-09 07:21 AM
    haha i just posted the same info with engadget's link. Damn interrupting email!

Anyway, yeah I am in love with this company! I love using the barcode scanner now!

absolutely flawless..
    11-17-09 07:30 AM
    awesome!!!!! Kinda weird having a company respond so fast lol
    11-17-09 07:41 AM
    awesome!!!!! Kinda weird having a company respond so fast lol
    hahah so true.
    11-17-09 07:55 AM
    This is very upsetting to me! I've been sitting here waiting for a leak, and they go ahead and do it for me? Prompt, responsive, customer service sucks!
    11-17-09 08:10 AM
    if true, this is pleasantly odd. i have noticed my camera seems to have the green focus box where before it would almost always be red.
    11-17-09 09:10 AM
    Very nice. Congrats to all you droid owners. Now if RIM could so the same with our icons updating on the home screen!!!
    11-17-09 09:17 AM
    Very nice. Congrats to all you droid owners. Now if RIM could so the same with our icons updating on the home screen!!!
    yea that will probably be a cold day in h-e-double hockey sticks!
    11-17-09 09:20 AM
    So, somebody (Verizon? Google? Motorola?) has the ability to change the software on a person's phone without their permission or even their knowledge?? And nobody seems to be bothered by that?!?!?
    11-17-09 09:23 AM
    So, somebody (Verizon? Google? Motorola?) has the ability to change the software on a person's phone without their permission or even their knowledge?? And nobody seems to be bothered by that?!?!?
    Not when it improves a phone function by leaps and bounds.

Why do you even bother posting in this forum? Do you really have nothing else to do? So saddening.
    11-17-09 09:27 AM
    There is some validity to that question. I dont know why you couldnt get a pop up window saying "A fix for your phone's camera is available. Click yes to accept or cancel to dismiss".
    11-17-09 09:32 AM
    I have been going around spouting off that the Android platform offers just as much "security" as a BB. I guess I have to eat large helpings of crow now.
    11-17-09 09:37 AM
    Hmm seems to me that the two storm fanboys are just a little jealous that we don't have to down grade and up grade every other week.

I am not bothered by it one bit, I love the fact that I don't have to go to my DM back all my ish up and then upgrade! Simply amazing!!

There is some validity to that question. I dont know why you couldnt get a pop up window saying "A fix for your phone's camera is available. Click yes to accept or cancel to dismiss".
    Because our phones knew it was a problem and they just wanted to make everyone happy! Something RIM isn't too great with!
    11-17-09 09:38 AM
    Until it's actually confirmed by Google/Moto/VZW, there's nothing but speculation. It's a valid question, sure, but these BB fanboys coming in here and venting their jealousy/envy in any way possible is getting annoying.

"If you don't like it, don't come here." This is the only Android community I can access from work, otherwise I'd be at Android Forums or Android Central while at work.
    11-17-09 09:39 AM
    Guys, you have to be kidding me. I have been nothing but supportive of the Droid. If your intent is to have a droid owner only forum I suggest you start your own. Require UPC varification for entry or something.
    11-17-09 09:44 AM
    I don't think that was anybody's intent, having a Droid only forum. I was just saying most non-Droid owners that post in here are BB fanboys that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion, as if they're completely incapable of discussing another phone intelligently.
    11-17-09 09:48 AM
    I don't think that was anybody's intent, having a Droid only forum. I was just saying most non-Droid owners that post in here are BB fanboys that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion, as if they're completely incapable of discussing another phone intelligently.
    You think the fact that you are on Crackberry has anything to do with that? If your stuck here, deal with it. No need to generalize either. Some of us just like technology.
    11-17-09 09:54 AM
    well we're not exactly sure if anything has happened to be honest. although i suspect something has, don't want to jump to conclusions just yet...

in regards to viewing or changing something on your phone without permission...we know rim already has the ability to do the same thing with your bb. they can blacklist your pin and completely shutdown or wipe your phone if they want. not only that, but EVERYTHING you do on your blackberry (emails, browsing, phone calls, data, etc) is visible on rim's servers.

as far as pushing updates to your phone instead of giving users the option, if that is indeed what is happening, i'm not that bothered by it for small bug fixes. for more significant updates that might interfere with data or application compatibility or change user settings, i agree there should be some sort of notification so appropriate backups can be made.

in any case i have much more confidence in how updates will be handled for the android phones than how updates are handled for blackberry phones. rim allows the carriers to hold your os updates hostage, plus they don't seem to test the os very well anyway, it's like they leave it up to the carriers to perform final QA before releasing it. with the droid being the first android 2.0 phone i must say i'm very impressed that i don't see as many obvious bugs as we do on new phones from rim.
    11-17-09 09:57 AM
    This is very upsetting to me! I've been sitting here waiting for a leak, and they go ahead and do it for me? Prompt, responsive, customer service sucks!
    I am also upset that they responded too quickly to my complaints.

I think due to the fact that it was such a minor fix it was done this way. However it would appear that the major updates would come with a notification. Would you (Storm Owners) be pissed if you woke up one morning and the themes on your device were fixed? No more white bar? I think it would be a minor fix but a welcome one.
    11-17-09 10:54 AM
    You think the fact that you are on Crackberry has anything to do with that? If your stuck here, deal with it. No need to generalize either. Some of us just like technology.
    Agreed. Not everyone with a Storm is a fanboy. Look at me, owned it from day one but jumped ship. Some of us love technology.
    11-17-09 10:55 AM
    This is the final straw for me! There is no way I am getting any sort of Android phone now. What the he11 will I do with myself if I can't sit around and b!tch about my phone or the company that makes it all day. I already eliminated the carrier complaints by using Verizon and now this?!?! If everything just works and the company is actually responsive this could be really bad for forums like this one. Think of all the poor out of work mods that will be left out in the cold if companies do the right thing. I say we take a stand now and boycott Motorola/Google before things get worse. Someone must pay for this hanus act of customer service. Who's with me?
    11-17-09 11:05 AM
    This is the final straw for me! There is no way I am getting any sort of Android phone now. What the he11 will I do with myself if I can't sit around and b!tch about my phone or the company that makes it all day. I already eliminated the carrier complaints by using Verizon and now this?!?! If everything just works and the company is actually responsive this could be really bad for forums like this one. Think of all the poor out of work mods that will be left out in the cold if companies do the right thing. I say we take a stand now and boycott Motorola/Google before things get worse. Someone must pay for this hanus act of customer service. Who's with me?
    Im in. Switching over to an OS that makes me wait for updates.
    11-17-09 11:31 AM
    LMFAO!!! This is Hilarious. I love Google,Verizon,Motorola! Keep the updates coming! LOL!
    11-17-09 11:34 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD