Question. If I go down to the states and purchase a 9700 from AT&T, is it possible to flash the Rogers firmware onto it and have it working perfectly fine? Or is it alot more complicated than this?

I dont wanna pay $670 thats just way too much after tax... I would be saving about $120 bucks.. Anyone know? Thanks
    11-16-09 06:59 PM
    it should work, you do have to delete the vender.xml file though.
    11-17-09 02:58 PM
    I know I can load the software by deleting the vendor file. But what I'm asking is if there's a way to completely erase everything on the phone so it has no idea it was ever even from att? And then I reflash it will all the rogers files and services books?

What happens if say I use jmcmder to erase everything and then put on the rogers files without deleting the vendor files? Will that essentially make it a rogers phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 11:40 PM
    No, you can't. It will always have the AT&T boot screen and vendor ID no matter what firmware you flash to it. Even wiping the phone won't work, and you'll have to delete the vendor.xml file if it isn't an AT&T OS or that won't load either.

Buying a Rogers phone is the only way to have a Rogers phone

11-19-09 12:02 AM
    alright, I guess that answers my question then. I just dont want to have all the crap bell gives you with the phone like NHL apps and stuff.. I guess i could just uninstall them but I dont like the extra junk alll the carriers include with theirs.. especially ATT yuck... rogers has the best one they dont include any extra crap except the Rogers mall which is no big deal

is what you said 100% confirmed? thanks again

also, i guess there is no chance UMA would ever work on the phone is there? i heard thats specific to Rogers phones only? Or is that included in the OS when I do the flash? How about the service books, do I need to get those from somewhere if I use a bell phone on rogers?
    Last edited by khaltire; 11-19-09 at 12:07 AM.
    11-19-09 12:05 AM
    Unlocking the phone and inserting your Rogers SIM should stop all that AT&T 'junk' being added as they are service book related, and you won't have those. If they are still there... just hide them

11-19-09 12:09 AM
    UMA is device and carrier specific, not OS specific, so I don't believe that will work either. The service books will come from your carrier via your SIM when it's activated.

11-19-09 12:13 AM
    at this point UMA Is one feature that is holding me back.. but at the moment Rogers doesnt even have UMA on their 9700s.. the question is will they ever get it? rumor has it that in the next couple weeks that it will start working via an update
    11-19-09 12:16 AM
    If they do start supporting UMA, it is still possible to enable the function on a non-Rogers device. It certainly won't work via an update on an AT&T handset... but it should still be possible

11-19-09 12:25 AM
    Hi i sold a blackberry bold ATT for a customer in canada he has rogers wireless and he told me the phone does not work on the rogers network that he can make calls but when he can't receive calls the phone doen't work or something that phone is unloked can someone tell me what he need to do, does he need to have rogers sofware for the phone to work
    12-08-09 10:00 PM
    He may just need to update the os, but I haven't heard issues like that at all.
    12-09-09 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD