I was just wondering if Rogers was having problems with the 9700? Bell and Telus both seem to have plenty of stock of the 9700, and I see them advertised in the Future shop and Best buy ads. Did Rogers not purchase enough originally or are they having problems with the device? It just seems strange that they can't even come close to filling the demand for these phones.
    11-14-09 09:48 AM
    Went to a Rogers store, asked a rep and he told me they had many software problems, which could be why they backordered it, etc.

Except I went to a retail store and got my bold 9700 (at a store called Phone BOoth, rogers affiliate) and had no problems whatsoever with the phone either in hardware or software.
    11-14-09 10:13 AM
    There may be issues that I am unaware of; my 9700 has worked flawlessly except for youtube.

Unless I hear otherwise from a credible source, my take on it is the they are only buying quantities that they KNOW they can sell fast instead of buying ample amounts and then being forced to sit on inventory. All three new devices @ Rogers are now out of stock. 8520 black, 9000 white, 9700 bold.- All backordered. Only the lavender 8520 is still in stock for god knows how long. Sure it makes good business sense not to overbuy and be stuck with a bunch of phones, but selling out all of your inventory in a matter of days is not good planning. Not to mention that the subsequent orders that Rogers places for these devices should have been ordered as the stock dwindled. Insteadf, I get the idea that not much was done about inventory until the stock was at or near zero. Again, not well planned. The 9700 has been backordered for over a week already. Simply silly with a new top shelf device.

I don't care about the 9700 anymore; I have mine. But it is still a problem for Rogers - they need to seriously look at how they decide the quantity ordered for new or reduced price devices. What did they expect when they dropped the 9000 to $99 or with a new top of the line device - they are going to fly out the door. Rogers dropped the ball, and not just the 9700 - all bb devices it seems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 11:25 AM
    My Rogers 9700 works perfect! too many people are buying them thus causing shortages. Doesn't mean problems

11-14-09 11:48 AM
    There may be issues that I am unaware of; my 9700 has worked flawlessly except for youtube.

Unless I hear otherwise from a credible source, my take on it is the they are only buying quantities that they KNOW they can sell fast instead of buying ample amounts and then being forced to sit on inventory. All three new devices @ Rogers are now out of stock. 8520 black, 9000 white, 9700 bold.- All backordered. Only the lavender 8520 is still in stock for god knows how long. Sure it makes good business sense not to overbuy and be stuck with a bunch of phones, but selling out all of your inventory in a matter of days is not good planning. Not to mention that the subsequent orders that Rogers places for these devices should have been ordered as the stock dwindled. Insteadf, I get the idea that not much was done about inventory until the stock was at or near zero. Again, not well planned. The 9700 has been backordered for over a week already. Simply silly with a new top shelf device.

I don't care about the 9700 anymore; I have mine. But it is still a problem for Rogers - they need to seriously look at how they decide the quantity ordered for new or reduced price devices. What did they expect when they dropped the 9000 to $99 or with a new top of the line device - they are going to fly out the door. Rogers dropped the ball, and not just the 9700 - all bb devices it seems.

My Youtube Works fine with Rogers. I just go youtube.com through the original BB browser, works flawless.
    11-14-09 11:51 AM
    mine from rogers works fine
    11-14-09 12:09 PM
    The official memo (internal) says something about UMA not working and a patch being available in a few weeks and that all berries on future shipments will have the patch already.
    Who gives a rip!? I think I used UMA like twice on my 8900 in a year .
    Other than that... There are no issues. Mine is flawless. And as for utube-- change default browser to hotspot browser. That's what made the diff for me.

11-14-09 11:13 PM
    Anyone know when Future Shop will be getting a Rogers BB 9700? So far they only have Bell and Telus..
    11-14-09 11:23 PM
    Futureshop in Surrey British Columbia go 14 in stock today. This is the location on King George Hwy and 100th Avenue. A buddy told me today. $599.99. This is for Rogers Blackberry 9700's
    11-15-09 01:08 AM
    Yes im having so many problems my gmail is not wokring
    11-15-09 01:22 AM
    Yes im having so many problems my gmail is not wokring
    But it's all about the software. Problems or not; there's nothing gonna change about the unit-- ever. An update here and there will solve problems. So just enjoy your unit. It can only get better with time (and os updates)

11-15-09 09:11 PM
    Btw, Bell was out of stock on thursday as they told me when i called 12 bell store in the Montreal area to get an exchange

11-15-09 10:17 PM
    The official memo (internal) says something about UMA not working and a patch being available in a few weeks and that all berries on future shipments will have the patch already.
    Who gives a rip!? I think I used UMA like twice on my 8900 in a year .
    Other than that... There are no issues. Mine is flawless. And as for utube-- change default browser to hotspot browser. That's what made the diff for me.

TedZone - please post more details regarding this memo!!! There are many users out there that need UMA due to poor cell reception, etc. at home or work, and were very disspointed to learn that Rogers was not supporting UMA on the 9700. :

Any information you have about this situation would be much appreciated!
    11-15-09 10:44 PM
    I'm glad to see Rogers is going to solve the UMA issues with the 9700, this is good news for many users.
    11-15-09 10:58 PM
    TedZone - please post more details regarding this memo!!! There are many users out there that need UMA due to poor cell reception, etc. at home or work, and were very disspointed to learn that Rogers was not supporting UMA on the 9700. :

Will find the memo monday and I'll post it right here.
    :-)

11-16-09 03:32 AM
    Awesome! Thanks TedZone, we'd really appreciate it. I've held off ordering the 9700 until I have confirmation that UMA will work in the very near future.
    11-16-09 07:48 AM
    I called and ordered 3, the first day it was released and was told I was luck I ordered early that morning as the rep on the phone felt they would be out of stock soon.

11-16-09 07:55 AM

Hey Tedzone, any news on that memo? I'm dying to find out what it said...
    11-17-09 09:57 PM
    Me too! Would love to have UMA/talkspot again!

11-17-09 09:58 PM

For privacy reasons, I copied and pasted only the relevant part of the email and unfortunately-- it was in french only (i'm in Mtl)

If u don't read French and no one can expl it to you... I will. Just don't feel like it right now :-)
    The main issue seems to be that the "GAN (Global Access Node)" at Rogers isn't ready for 9700 UMA. It also insists that the 97 will work uma soon.
    Hope that helps.

- Le SKU a �t� ouvert vendredi dernier
    - Le 9700 aura quelques petits probl�mes mineures avec son OS au lancement
    - RIM et Rogers vont sortir la patch de mise � jour d'ici qq semaines
    - La 2�me commande des 9700 aura d�j� la nouvelle mise � jour
    - Je ne sais pas si les probl�mes sont unique � Rogers ou si Bell vont avoir la m�me situation
    - Le 9700 est compatible UMA, par contre�
    - Le serveur GAN (Global Access Node) de Rogers n'est pas pr�t pour UMA pour le 9700
    - �ventuellement le 9700 sera UMA mais pas de date � ce jour
    11-18-09 12:02 PM
    Google's awesome text translate to english:
    - The SKU was opened last Friday
    - The 9700 has some minor problems with its OS to launch
    - RIM and Rogers will leave the patch update by qq weeks
    - The 2nd order of 9700 will have the new update
    - I do not know if the problems are unique to Rogers or Bell will have the same situation
    - The 9700 is compatible UMA by cons ...
    - The server GAN (Global Access Node) Rogers is not ready for the 9700 UMA
    - Possibly the 9700 UMA but will not date to date

Thanks tedzone!
    11-18-09 12:07 PM
    Google's awesome text translate to english:
    - The SKU was opened last Friday
    - The 9700 has some minor problems with its OS to launch
    - RIM and Rogers will leave the patch update by qq weeks
    - The 2nd order of 9700 will have the new update
    - I do not know if the problems are unique to Rogers or Bell will have the same situation
    - The 9700 is compatible UMA by cons ...
    - The server GAN (Global Access Node) Rogers is not ready for the 9700 UMA
    - Possibly the 9700 UMA but will not date to date

Thanks tedzone!
    hahahaha!! Good one!! :-)
    11-18-09 12:23 PM
    hahahaha!! Good one!! :-)

This seems to imply that Bell might also be supporting UMA on the 9700 in the future... any insight into that speculation? By the way, assuming that the issue is only due to bug and we will see UMA support on the 9700 in the near future, you've just made my day!! Thanks for the encouraging information.
    Last edited by asherwiin; 11-18-09 at 02:03 PM.
    11-18-09 01:42 PM
    Went to a Rogers store, asked a rep and he told me they had many software problems, which could be why they backordered it, etc.

Except I went to a retail store and got my bold 9700 (at a store called Phone BOoth, rogers affiliate) and had no problems whatsoever with the phone either in hardware or software.
    Could be the OS issues or the UMA issue.

No one knows for sure. Unless someone can confirm this with a secret Rogers document...
    11-18-09 06:13 PM
    Could be the OS issues or the UMA issue.

No one knows for sure. Unless someone can confirm this with a secret Rogers document...
    It's a little confusing in that it says that --The Rogers' GAN (Global Access Node) is not ready for uma on the 9700.... Then it says the next shipment of 97s will have the update.

So is it a patch for the OS or Rogers itself that's the prob??

I just copied and pasted it my friends... I'm also wonderring what it means.
    11-18-09 07:51 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD