Hi all

I got my SIM free 9700 yesterday but I've been unable to get any 3G signal. I've checked that 3G & 2G is selected in the network settings but wherever I go in central London I can't get past GPRS.

Any ideas?
    11-14-09 02:05 AM
    How old is your sim card? older sims don't do 3g.
    11-14-09 02:46 AM
    How old is your sim card? older sims don't do 3g.
    +1

Always try a new sim before blaming the hardware.
    11-14-09 03:00 AM
    +1

Always try a new sim before blaming the hardware.
    ...and the provider itself?

edit : e.g. http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...nge-uk-362049/
    11-14-09 03:07 AM
    What OS are you running?

I know you're on Orange, but there have been issues with 3G on Vodafone with certain OS's.

It was mentioned here, and could be related...
    I'd recommend not using .344 on our units, every other firmware seems to be quite sporadic with our 3G network, .321 is ok, .344 not so great in central London, there are internal notes on it, I say wait for .36X which will be out shortly
    11-14-09 03:10 AM
    lol how am I supposed to know the SIM card could potentially be the problem?! I've had it for a couple of months, hopefully that's recent enough?!

The OS I'm running is .321. Is it worth giving Orange a call?
    11-14-09 03:58 AM
    lol how am I supposed to know the SIM card could potentially be the problem?! I've had it for a couple of months, hopefully that's recent enough?!

The OS I'm running is .321. Is it worth giving Orange a call?
    Prob yes, did youy have a 3g phone on Orange previously...?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 05:33 AM
    See ive had another guy on another forum saying that he cant get 3G on his orange sim...he had a 8900 curve but sold it and now has a HTC hero handset...when he rung up Orange they said hes got a 2g sim card.

Now heres the funny thing...one of my guys that works for me just recently bought a 8900 curve as well...so i thought id check to see if his sim card was 2g or 3g...i stuck his sim card into my 9000 Bold and voila it came up with a 3G signal.

So best ring up Orange and ask them if your sim card is 3G or not...it should be 3G now.
    11-14-09 07:55 AM
    I had several arguments with Orange over this 3G SIM card nonsense a couple of years ago. I had a 2G device from them, bought an unlocked 3G device and popped my SIM card in and I couldn't get a 3G signal.

Orange told me that my SIM card wasn't 3G that's why it wouldn't work.

The infuriating thing is that I had used my SIM card in the very same 3G device whilst I was abroad and had no issues whatsoever. So how can there be any difference in the SIM card? This is down to Orange provisioning an account for 3G.

So as far as I'm concerned this is Orange just being difficult. The only way to get a "3G SIM" according to them was to upgrade to one of their 3G devices. I went through several managers and none of them would budge.

Did I mention how infuriating this was?
    11-14-09 09:30 AM
    been there buddy! you are only provided with a 3g sim by orange if you take out a contract which includes a 3g phone! much to mine and other peoples annoyance it seems! there has been talk of numerous workarounds but iv either not got round to trying them or they havent worked! i even rang up and told them my sim was broken, paid for a replacement in the hope they might only have 3g's around now but i got the same one exactly!! dude, if you ind a way around orange PM me or something!!
    11-26-09 04:54 AM
    If your Orange sim is "orange coloured" its a 2g sim if its green then its a 3G one. I know that because i had the same problem as you with not getting 3G on their sims.
    11-26-09 05:14 AM
    my orange sim is black and i get 3g coverage. this isnt on a BB yet but im hoping to get my BB in the next couple of weeks
    11-26-09 06:35 AM
    I managed to get a contract 3G SIM out of Orange after being very persistent!

They kept saying it was impossible, but one of their staff managed to look through all the options in their menu's and managed to finally get it changed.

Its so silly, I thought in this day and age you would get 3G SIMS as standard. I have over a year on the contract left, so obviously couldnt upgrade the phone through their system. I bought the Bold 9700 elsewhere.
    12-05-09 08:13 PM
    Well I received my SIM card and I was very angry to find its another 2G after looking up the SIM number.

Anyone know how to get a 3G SIM? I have a year left on contract! It said nothing about only having to use 2G on signing up, I even stated I will be using another phone with 3g to Orange.

I've ordered a Pay n Go 3G unregistered SIM off eBay, so gonna attempt to pair that to my account..but I bet that dont work.
    12-06-09 07:26 PM
    Phoned Orange and the way around it is to change your phone on their records.. Mine was still set to Blackberry 8900, so its now Bold 9700.

They mark the SIM as faulty and send another one out.

Will let you all know the outcome if it really is a 3G card.. looking positive though!
    12-07-09 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD