I haven't taken the time to visit the VZW store to try out the keyboard myself. I've read a lot of blogs and comments that the keyboard is flat & hard to type on.

I'd just like to know from you Droid owners -- are the complaints correct? Is the physical keyboard on the Droid the phone's biggest flaw? Or, is the keyboard great/comfortable/etc?

Thank you!
    11-10-09 11:00 PM
    So far I'm not a fan of it. My biggest complain wouldn't be the actual position of the keyboard, not so much the feel of the keys. Its def a stretch for the right thumb, so much so that I'm starting to use my left thumb for 'space' and quite a few other keys that are usually for the right thumb.

Aside from that, the feel of the keys hasn't bothered me at all, just take some getting used to.
    11-10-09 11:08 PM
    yupp agreed. def. need to get use to it. but its def. doing.
    lovee the fact that its there and an option. def. type 90 percent of my messages on it.. its not as good as an env or voyager or env touch or w.e obviously but look how thin the phone is and you'll appreciate even having one on this hardware. lol

*ps i dont advocate texting and driving, but its def. harder to text and drive with this phone then my old dumb phone the voyager.. lol prob a good thing tho when u think about it
    11-10-09 11:14 PM
    Don't use it.

The two on-screen keyboards work just fine for me.
    11-10-09 11:27 PM
    I really like it : ) very sturdy and very well sealed. You could pour water over it and it wouldn't get in.

Not to mention it's easy to use and it's pretty sweet to have the option. Can I type as fast on it as my old Tour? No...but I don't care nobody is going to die if my time's are slowed by a few seconds.

I adapt to new hardware pretty easy and don't complain much. So I'm a happy camper with the Droids keyboard.
    11-10-09 11:45 PM
    Don't own a Droid, but have played with it and the Eris extensively, and I've yet to be able to use the keyboard effectively... I'm getting the Eris in a month or so, provided nothing else from HTC pops up by then (really wanting to give HTC a shot for my next phone).
    11-11-09 12:18 AM
    I like it... But there's a definite learning curve that a lot of people don't want to go through. I had the same problem with the Storm when I got it, couldn't type worth a chit on it, but after practicing using a 5-page article I have in my office, it has gotten me quite familiar with the layout, and typing is becoming easier everytime I use it...
    11-11-09 02:45 AM
    I started off hating it, now I love it. Give it a chance and use it all the time. You will get used to it quickly and its actually pretty nice! Especially when surfing the web.
    11-11-09 06:59 AM
    I try to use the onscreen keyboard as much as possible, as to reduce wear and tear on the slider mechanism, but when I do use the physical keyboard, I don't mind it at all. Took a bit of learning, but I can type pretty quickly with it, and maybe with less errors than my Tour.
    11-11-09 07:08 AM
    The virtual keyboard seems to lag for me, but that could just be my phone as it has restarted numerous times in the past two days that I've had it and now .. it won't even turn on. Making a trip to Verizon after school ..
    11-11-09 07:37 AM
    I like it, coming from a curve it took some time to get used to, but now I can type just as fast, I also like the virtual keyboard and have had no problems.
    11-11-09 08:05 AM
    I am liking it more and more every day. I actually like the feel of the keys, but as others have mentioned, the right thumb stretch gets a bit uncomfortable on long messages. Certainly, it's better than some reviewers made it out to be.
    11-11-09 08:15 AM
    I'm not inlove with it, but I don't hate it. I'm ready to move on to the droid and get away from BB.
    11-11-09 08:22 AM
    i like the physical keyboard, it just took a little to get used to

i'm still a heavy user on the virtual landscape one
    11-11-09 08:31 AM
    I think it's horrible. Worst keyboard ever if you ask me. I love the phone though
    11-11-09 09:22 AM
    I don't like the hard keyboard for typing at all. I usually hit more than one button and the device registers all of them. The portrait QWERTY is a pain, too, the keys are so small. I like the soft landscape keyboard a lot- it's spacious and easy to hit the intended key and it's fast- so I use that for all my typing. I do use the hard keyboard for playing games(playing mostly original Legend of Zelda), so I sure am glad it's there.
    11-11-09 09:31 AM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at
    wapforums.crackberry.com

I actually use it a lot now. You have to get used to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-09 10:03 AM
    I'm indifferent, personally use the onscreen. The 3-4 times I have used it wasn't that bad, but the right thumb does have to stretch a bit more to hit some keys that it wouldnt if you were on a BB, but if you have large hands, shouldnt be a problem, seems fine for me.
    11-11-09 10:10 AM

I am actually using the keyboard about 50 percent of the time now. Like anything else, you get used to it. Its not bad at all once you get used to it. New droid ownerfs need to be patient with this. Otherwise, the phone rocks. I love it more every day.

11-11-09 10:12 AM
    People try to find fault with this phone. You have to spend more time with this device. People are looking at it saying I don't like it. It looks to flat. Or they play with the keyboard in the store for 10 minutes and say not for me. I was the same way. Spent 10 minutes rubbing her jewels and didn't like it. But I got it anyway and will never look back.
    11-11-09 10:58 AM
    I can type with the keyboard fine but it sucks for playing games like Nintendo ROMS. They keys don't have any definition and are too close together to use for gaming.
    11-11-09 11:20 AM
    Thank you for the replies, owners! Very informative.

I read rfrabo's good comment about the on-screen landscape keyboard. Do the rest of you like it or even prefer it to the physical keyboard?
    11-11-09 11:49 AM
    I wasn't used to it and didn't like it, but now I love it.

11-11-09 11:51 AM
    Thank you for the replies, owners! Very informative.

I read rfrabo's good comment about the on-screen landscape keyboard. Do the rest of you like it or even prefer it to the physical keyboard?
    I like them both and am profficient with both. I honestly do not have a preference because they both work so well for me.
    11-11-09 11:51 AM
    I wasn't used to it and didn't like it, but now I love it.

which? physical or on-screen?
    11-11-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD