Hey all.

I am working on a customer's storm, trying to get the tethering working. Her account is all set for tethering, the storm's OS is updated to 5.0, and she has the latest desktop manager.

Now when we connect the storm to her laptop and have VZAM up and running, VZAM toggles between device not inserted and configuring device. It will stay in that loop until we unplug her storm.

I checked all of the USB settings as far as I can find, but it will not fully connect.

I have reinstalled both the desktop manager and VZAM, did a battery pull after that was done, and still no luck. I know I am probably missing something simple.

We did call verizon about this and they were not able to help either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix
    11-10-09 08:57 AM
    I don't mean to be a **** here, but what does that say about verizon support when reps have to come on an online forum to get answers....

from what i have heard...truth or not...is that tethering isn't currently working for 5.0
    11-10-09 10:02 AM
    HyperionMark. Just to let you know, I am not a verizon rep. I work at a company where one of the "customers" is a user here at the company. I am a lvl 2 desktop support person.

I wish that they would have told me if there were known issues with os 5 on the storms though...
    11-10-09 10:07 AM
    That is right tethering in not working on 5.0 at this time.
    11-10-09 10:08 AM
    If tethering isnt working on 5.0 then why am I tethering my storm with 5.0.328 at this moment posting to this forum?
    11-10-09 10:46 AM
    If tethering isnt working on 5.0 then why am I tethering my storm with 5.0.328 at this moment posting to this forum?
    The lady's phone I am working on has the os version of 5.0.0, not 5.0.328. I'm thinking of just doing a facory reset on the device to get the phone back to 4.7 or so and have her hold off doing an os update until they get 5.x working with tethering.
    11-10-09 10:57 AM
    The lady's phone I am working on has the os version of 5.0.0, not 5.0.328. I'm thinking of just doing a facory reset on the device to get the phone back to 4.7 or so and have her hold off doing an os update until they get 5.x working with tethering.
    Weird, I don't remember there being a 5.0.0 OS (sure you're not talking about Desktop manager?). But as said before, there have been problems with tethering on 5.0, I'm not sure if it's with just using the Verizon tethering or if it' all forms of tethering.
    11-10-09 11:00 AM
    It says they are actually making an effort to help which is more than most do. They can't know everything.

I don't mean to be a **** here, but what does that say about verizon support when reps have to come on an online forum to get answers....

from what i have heard...truth or not...is that tethering isn't currently working for 5.0
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-10-09 11:01 AM
    I didn't think tethering worked at 1st but I updated the VZAccess software and works great.

11-10-09 11:03 AM
    I am currently having problems with tetherberry working on 5.0.328. It worked fine on 4.7.
    11-10-09 03:37 PM
    Search for a thread called those with tethering issues. That helped me. TheRe is a link to an older version of Vzam that works with 5.0

11-10-09 04:47 PM
    I a bit of response to this I have been able to get my tethering working through network connections, but when I use Bluetooth to tether, while not using the Vzam program, in the network connection. It will Reboot the Storm. It causes an error screen to pop up and reboot. If you can help with the bluetooth tethering It would help.. Thanks
    11-29-09 12:04 PM
    Hey all.

I am working on a customer's storm, trying to get the tethering working. Her account is all set for tethering, the storm's OS is updated to 5.0, and she has the latest desktop manager.

Now when we connect the storm to her laptop and have VZAM up and running, VZAM toggles between device not inserted and configuring device. It will stay in that loop until we unplug her storm.

I checked all of the USB settings as far as I can find, but it will not fully connect.

I have reinstalled both the desktop manager and VZAM, did a battery pull after that was done, and still no luck. I know I am probably missing something simple.

We did call verizon about this and they were not able to help either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Phoenix
    Hi,

I believe it is a software error with VZAccess. It is not recognizing the 5.0 upgrade. There may be a workaround. Try Dial up Networking on your computer. Right click on network places and click on properties, then create a new connection. Locate dial up and create that type of connection. Phone number is #777 username and password can be blank, as long as you have the tethering plan. Also, make sure you have the latest version of VZAccess manager which is v7.0.14.

Solution Originally Posted by StreetDocRN on another forum with verified results.
    Last edited by bigbeatpro; 12-01-09 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Typo
    12-01-09 05:12 AM
    An older version of VZAM appears to work for many. Here is a link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/th...issues-344291/

Also, you know what you are doing, but just in case, this may give you a few more ideas:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...esktop-manager
    12-01-09 11:19 AM
    mine was working fine til I updated to the new vzaccess manager, then it stopped working....
    12-03-09 03:01 PM
    mine was working fine til I updated to the new vzaccess manager, then it stopped working....
    Read my post immediately above yours. Uninstall the update and reinstall the earlier version.
    12-03-09 03:38 PM
    I uninstalled 7.0.14, reinstalled 6.10, and tethering is working as before the upgrade.

12-03-09 06:31 PM
    Here is the updated versions that works, and instructions on how to manually create a backup connections.

I call Verizon support and got instructions on how to download the new working version of VZAccess Manager that works (VZAcess_RIM_7.1.1_2404a.exe). Here is how to download it:
    - Go to: <vzam.net>
    and click the Download Now (button)

- Within the column list on the left, under the VZAccess Manager title, select: "Consumer Downloads"

1. What operting sysem are you using? > chose you operating system

2. What device are you using? > PDA/Advance Device

3. What hardware are you using > BlackBerry "Storm"

Click Continue button

Enter your phone number > click Continue (button)

Click the Download Now (button)

Click Save (save it to your desktop for example)
    and it will save the working version: VZAccess_RIM_7.1.1_2404a.exe
    to your desktop.

- Uninstall the old version that doesn't work: 7.0.14.2 (2397a)
    and reboot just to be safe before installing the new one.

Also you can phone Verison Wireless support at: 800-922-0204
    and they will give you propriety instructions on how to create a dialup connection. For me on my 64 bit Vista laptop is started out like: Control Pannel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a connection or network > Set up a dial-up connection >
    and support will give you instructions for
    Dial-up phone number:
    Users name:
    Password:
    This way you get the same connection, but without the software wich is not as good. For example you could manually connect this way, as a backup connections to the internet, then download the software or any fixes if you upgade doesn't work.

I hope this is helpful, all the best, Kurt
    12-20-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD