I want to love the droid but coming from a tour and even WiMo phones this email client stinks. Is there any way to sink notes and tasks? What about the Calendar/contact views. I am actually really surprised so many people from the BB world like this phone. Just wondering If it is pilot error on my part.
    11-09-09 09:29 PM
    I am disappointed with the email app, but it will change.

One thing about Google is they listen to their users. My big gripes with the Exchange email client are:

1) Not being able to have a signature - I mean, how do you miss that?!?!?!
    2) Not being able to file messages - 'nuf said.
    3) Not being able to accept meeting requests.

I am confident that this functionality will come. A work around for the meeting request is to accept them in the calendar....so that isn't a huge deal.

The filing messages isn't a huge deal either, but would be nice.

The lack of signature is what bugs me the most.

I hear that the K9 Mail app is basically the stock app, but with all this functionality (plus more) built it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on the Droid yet. It should be working soon, at which point I will be all over it. I don't like the look (or the thought of paying $$$) for the Touchdown app, so I am waiting for K9 (and the stock one to get updated).

These aren't deal breakers for me. They will just be nice surprises when the functionality comes back.
    11-09-09 09:54 PM
    I was on the fence about the Touchdown app, but once I installed the 5 day trial and tried it out, I loved it. It's only $10 (anniversary price) and looks like it is worth it!
    11-10-09 07:39 AM
    I just got my exchange email working last night and it is truly amazing. I literally am receiving email on my phone in real time. Just had one pop up on my phone about 5 seconds before it even hit my desktop. Prior to getting my exchange working, I was using Touchdown. In the full version (not trial) you can enter a signature just the way you want it. Since I have Touchdown paid for, I may use Touchdown when I am sending an email out and use the exchange portion to receive and reply to emails. I currently have Touchdown turned off so it will not check for email unless I force it to check. I have also done some tests with Touchdown and it does indeed immediately send emails with no delay. I feel certain that the signature function will soon be available on the Driod with software updates.
    11-10-09 07:57 AM
    I haven't tried one yet, but I've been reading everything I can find on the Android ActiveSync/Exchange integration.

Problems that I've read about so far (besides the ones dhendriksen listed):

- can't forward attachments

- forwarded emails are sent as an EML file attachment (which means recipients with BlackBerrys won't be able to read them)

- can't search emails or calendar events

- folders and subfolders shown on the same level

- sending is done in background with no icon or notification when send is complete

- editing recurring appointments with large invite lists can cause lock-up

- can only send picture attachments

And, apparently, some of these aren't even considered bugs! Personally, I like everything else I'm reading about Android 2.0, but the issues about forwarding messages, the issues about attachments, and not being able to Search (seriously? on a phone from Google?) are all 100% dealbreakers for me. Any BlackBerry can do those things. I can understand coming out with limited functionality in the first release. But, to not even have an intention to fix the issues on forwarding as EML attachements and searching emails and calendar entries?!?! WTF???
    11-10-09 10:38 AM
    I haven't tried one yet, but I've been reading everything I can find on the Android ActiveSync/Exchange integration.

Problems that I've read about so far (besides the ones dhendriksen listed):

- can't forward attachments

- forwarded emails are sent as an EML file attachment (which means recipients with BlackBerrys won't be able to read them)

- can't search emails or calendar events

- folders and subfolders shown on the same level

- sending is done in background with no icon or notification when send is complete

- editing recurring appointments with large invite lists can cause lock-up

- can only send picture attachments

And, apparently, some of these aren't even considered bugs! Personally, I like everything else I'm reading about Android 2.0, but the issues about forwarding messages, the issues about attachments, and not being able to Search (seriously? on a phone from Google?) are all 100% dealbreakers for me. Any BlackBerry can do those things. I can understand coming out with limited functionality in the first release. But, to not even have an intention to fix the issues on forwarding as EML attachements and searching emails and calendar entries?!?! WTF???
    Yeah mine is going back. I wanted to love this phone but the Exchange client is garbage. Calendar and Contacts is very limited.
    11-10-09 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD