Well, I think typing on my Storm 1 is pretty fantastic, MUCH better after the 5.0 update. It still did lag a bit and could use a bit more speed (I used the SureType keyboard in portrait mode) but other than that, it was rather good.

I didn't so much like everything else with the phone. It was still SLOW in comparison to other phones and lacked features that the iPhone and Android have. Anyways, I got fed up enough that I decided to replace it with a Motorola Droid this past Saturday. I'm loving the Droid, though there will be a transition period. I had to buy it straight out retail, as I was told I had no other options. It was expensive. I got my BlackBerry Storm 1 under a two year contract the middle of February 2009. They would not let me cancel the contract, pay the ETF, and keep my number if I were to sign up for a new one with the Droid so I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it.

Tonight I got an email from Verizon stating "For Select Customers Only. Special opportunity to upgrade EARLY to our newest smartphones!" It goes on the say I can upgrade to the Motorola Droid or the BlackBerry Storm 2, sign a new contract, and get the subsidized price for either device...even though I'm only about 10 months into my contract. It also says the offer is not available online, call Verizon support or go to my nearest Verizon Wireless store. It has my number listed at the bottom saying I am eligible.

I called Verizon and they said bring the Droid back and they will get me signed up under this new promotion (though they hadn't heard of it yet...neither tech support or my local store...just said to bring in a printout of the email).

ANYWAYS, what I'm getting at is...has anyone else gotten this email from Verizon? Kind of a little deal to Storm 1 owners as a way of saying "sorry" for how terrible the Storm 1 was? Let me know if you have heard of this. I'm going to be taking advantage of this - not planning on leaving Verizon anytime soon, and this will save me a boatload of money.
    11-09-09 09:15 PM
    Nope but as soon as I do I'm going to the nearest VZW store.
    11-09-09 09:20 PM
    can you post a pic of the letter cuz i didnt get one and i own a company that has 12 phones with vzw 3 of them are storm 1's luckily for the other two storm owners i know about cb lol
    11-09-09 09:25 PM
    That would be like paying for the same phone twice. Or paying $200 for a phone that's gotten pretty mixed reviews. Hmmm, I am frequently kind of dumb, but not today.
    11-09-09 09:38 PM
    I got a upgrade offer. I have had the storm since the 1st day it came out last year. I'm really happy with it. I don't think I will update because finally after all the updates I'm really happy with it. Also I don't like the new phone because its all touchscreen. Since I had the screen go out before on a previous replacement I don't like the entire screen being touch screen. Here are images of the flyer that I received today.
    11-09-09 10:05 PM
    can you post a pic of the letter
    I will see what I can do about that. It's an email I received.

That would be like paying for the same phone twice. Or paying $200 for a phone that's gotten pretty mixed reviews. Hmmm, I am frequently kind of dumb, but not today.
    I would be returning the phone I bought at the retail price for a full refund and re-purchasing either it (or a different droid) under the terms of the promotion. I would be required to sign a new two year contract (after voiding my current one) or extending my current contract by two years. I don't know exactly how they are doing this promotion just yet in terms of whether it's a new contract or a contract extension. It's not at all like "paying twice".

I got a upgrade offer. I have had the storm since the 1st day it came out last year. I'm really happy with it. I don't think I will update because finally after all the updates I'm really happy with it. Also I don't like the new phone because its all touchscreen. Since I had the screen go out before on a previous replacement I don't like the entire screen being touch screen. Here are images of the flyer that I received today.
    I have been happy with the Storm as far as email and texting is concerned but terribly disappointed with the other aspects of it. I'm ready for something new by now. There is a SureType style keyboard which will soon be available for Android. It replaces the stock keyboard and is apparently MUCH better. I'll be using that as soon as it's released. That's the beauty of Android. Don't like the keyboard? Simply replace it.

As for your images there, the last one is what my email is about. "Special offer for special customers". I'm assuming this is the real deal.

Anyone else out there get similar promotional materials?
    11-09-09 10:46 PM
    They gave me the annual loyalty upgrade, so I payed the 2 year price on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 10:59 PM
    Didn't get that email but I did call Verizon last Friday to see if I get my annual upgrade moved up and I got a call today saying that I could but that I could only purchase the phone over phone because the early upgrade date won't show up at the stores or online. So I am getting the S2 this week! But I would love to get the email so I could just go in the store and purchase the phone and have instant gratification instead of waiting for it to be shipped to me.
    11-09-09 11:16 PM
    Didn't get that email but I did call Verizon last Friday to see if I get my annual upgrade moved up and I got a call today saying that I could but that I could only purchase the phone over phone because the early upgrade date won't show up at the stores or online. So I am getting the S2 this week! But I would love to get the email so I could just go in the store and purchase the phone and have instant gratification instead of waiting for it to be shipped to me.
    Follow the advice that you put in your sig...
    and don't get a S2!!!!
    11-09-09 11:46 PM
    I've attached the contents of the email. I also agree with SilvioBenussi. You aren't gaining a whole heck of a lot by moving up to the Storm2, IMO. I played with it at the store, not a whole lot different than my upgraded Storm.

Attachment 44385
    11-09-09 11:51 PM
    just got my email this morning!!! I will be going to the store this evening if I don't get called back in to work!!!
    thanks for the heads up because I probably would've deleted it!
    11-10-09 07:55 AM
    Nice. Let us know how the contract is situated after you upgrade. I'm assuming you signed a two year contract about a year ago when you initially got the Storm.
    11-10-09 08:33 AM
    I'm really happy with it... Also I don't like the new phone because its all touchscreen. Since I had the screen go out before on a previous replacement I don't like the entire screen being touch screen.
    And that makes you really happy with it? Maybe I'm missing something, but I feel like you shouldn't have to be afraid to have a full touchscreen phone.
    Last edited by blueskyjunkie; 11-10-09 at 10:59 AM.
    11-10-09 09:03 AM
    just got my letter this morning.....also have an email from fedex saying my S1 replacement is setting on my front steps....lol anyone wanna buy a S1 that has not been activated yet? the S2 gets better reception at the house so i believe i may be jumping ship this weekend
    11-10-09 09:07 AM
    Follow the advice that you put in your sig...
    and don't get a S2!!!!
    thanks but no thanks.
    11-10-09 10:23 AM
    do you guys think theyll run this promotion for the htc passion?
    11-10-09 10:59 AM
    This is a sweet offer. I never got the email but I called VZ today and my new storm 2 is on the way. The new contract is simple, it is just like renewing your contract. From the day you do the upgrade your contract now runs 2 years from that day.
    Last edited by SMJUCmoose; 11-10-09 at 11:09 AM.
    11-10-09 11:02 AM
    Anyone have any idea how long this may last? I'd love to get myself a Curve 8530. Do you think this will make it to 11/20?
    11-10-09 11:59 AM
    The new contract is simple, it is just like renewing your contract. From the day you do the upgrade your contract now runs 2 years from that day.
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Looks like Verizon is stepping up to the plate to make right with those who had a Storm 1 with all the problems, essentially allowing us to cancel our contract without an ETF and get a new phone with a new contract. I don't feel they should have to give me a free phone, as it was my decision to get a Storm in the first place, but I'm glad they are "splitting the difference" with me in this regard.

do you guys think theyll run this promotion for the htc passion?
    Anyone have any idea how long this may last? I'd love to get myself a Curve 8530. Do you think this will make it to 11/20?
    Please take the time to read the fine print in the screenshot of the email I posted in this topic. It appears that you can only get a Droid or a Storm2. The offer expires 12/31/2009 and you can only take advantage of it if you haven't upgraded in the past 180 days.
    11-10-09 01:08 PM
    This is a sweet offer. I never got the email but I called VZ today and my new storm 2 is on the way. The new contract is simple, it is just like renewing your contract. From the day you do the upgrade your contract now runs 2 years from that day.
    I did not recieve the e-mail either and called VZW to try to take advantage of this and they had no idea what I was talking about....
    11-10-09 02:13 PM
    I called 866.562.7899, I think it was the headquarters. That's weird, I did it today at 11.30 here in new york.
    11-10-09 03:05 PM
    i didnt get one, but im still not sure if im gonna upgrade to S2.
    11-10-09 03:13 PM
    b@st@rds... send me that email!
    11-10-09 03:54 PM
    So everyone that didn't get the email called the number and received a early upgrade too? Hmmmm, I think I might give it a try.
    11-10-09 04:04 PM
    So I just called asking about this "early upgrade offer," and it seems as though it only went out to targeted customers. He specifically told me that you might want to wait a couple of days and then check back, so I will def do that which gives me time to go play around w/ the Droid
    11-10-09 04:27 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD