Hey everyone - I'm a newbie here on crackberry, so forgive me if another thread has already addressed this. My husband was recently in search of a new phone, so I went along on his visits to the Verizon store... the BlackBerry pearl instantly caught my eye so I've been researching and going to the store just to play with it ever since. I was given the opportunity to upgrade to the pearl not even a year into my newest contract, thought about it... Then I went to the AT&T store just to check out the curve knowing Verizon just released it this week (they didn't have one to play with) and I declined the offer on the Pearl (for now). The Pearl was pretty difficult to type on the first couple of times I went to the store but I was getting the hang of it by my most recent visit and the Curve was a lot easier to get used to... yet I LOVE the small size of the pearl and it just seems a more feminine phone to me over the curve. Can you guys help me make a good decision? I've never owned a blackberry and currently have a Samsung SCH A990... need some organization (calendaring etc) and I'm just overall tired of 'dumb phones'. Help!
    05-15-08 12:38 AM
    Welcome to the family...

I have both and enjoy typing on the Pearl more. The key is getting your words into the dictionary and getting used to what words you have to select in the word list and what words you have to just hit space and continue as it will be the word selected.

If you aren't going to watch too much media on your device, I would say give the Pearl a shot.

I use my Pearl as my business phone for Email/SMS.

I use my Curve as my personal phone for Media/Web Surfing.

The best decision was going into the store and testing it out... The other decision I would suggest is to take home the Pearl and play with it for half the trial period and then swapping it out if you can't get used to the typing.
    05-15-08 12:47 AM
    I had to choose between a Pearl and Curve recently, too. I went with the Curve simply because at the time T-Mobile didn't have the 8120 Pearl and I'm already a speed demon on the Curve's keyboard from two years on a Treo. I still want a Pearl pretty bad hehe, but I'm hoping RIM pulls their head out of their **** and release a SureType candybar in the 9000s.

Playing with both was an excellent idea, I say take one home and see which you like better in the real world.

My brother got through his SureType growing pains pretty quickly, although I think his wife got better at it sooner as much as she stole it from him lol. You're just going to have to pick the phone that suits you the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-08 12:58 AM

If you aren't going to watch too much media on your device, I would say give the Pearl a shot.

Thanks so much for replying! Wouldn't it be nice to just have both?! Wish I could do that

I'm not really one for media on my phone -- I use my computer/iPod for that and my husband's phone has TV if I ever want to steal it and watch something ... I'm moreso looking for Email/SMS and the overall package of a BlackBerry, having everything I need at my fingertips with some extras... I love that you can customize so much with 3rd party apps, themes, etc. I'm guessing the Pearl can do just as much as the curve in that aspect?

I would like to use my phone occasionally for websites, however. Is that difficult or tedious on the Pearl??
    05-15-08 01:14 AM
    I had to choose between a Pearl and Curve recently, too. I went with the Curve simply because at the time T-Mobile didn't have the 8120 Pearl and I'm already a speed demon on the Curve's keyboard from two years on a Treo. I still want a Pearl pretty bad hehe, but I'm hoping RIM pulls their head out of their **** and release a SureType candybar in the 9000s.

Playing with both was an excellent idea, I say take one home and see which you like better in the real world.

My brother got through his SureType growing pains pretty quickly, although I think his wife got better at it sooner as much as she stole it from him lol. You're just going to have to pick the phone that suits you the best.
    Thanks so much for your input!!

What makes you still want a Pearl over the curve?? That'd be awesome if a newer candybar came out soon.. but then if I made a decision between the curve and the pearl before that time, then I'd have to wait until I'm eligible for an upgrade again! But ... verizon doesn't really catch on too quickly with BlackBerrys either!
    05-15-08 01:18 AM
    The Pearl, Curve, and WE are all great BBs. I mainly based my decision on the keyboard. If you can type fluently on the Pearl and like the smaller size then go for it. If you would like a qwerty keyboard then I'd go for the Curve or WE.
    05-15-08 01:27 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion! Choosing a deciding factor is a really good idea that I didn't think of. I've just been confusing myself with considering EVERYTHING about both phones in my decision...
    05-15-08 01:36 AM
    If I were you (assuming the price is a non-issue), I'd get the Curve. I think the Pearl is a great phone, but if the larger size of the Curve doesn't turn you off, I think you'll appreciate the full keyboard and larger screen. If those two things don't appeal to you, then get the Pearl--at least you have a color choice (silver or pink).
    05-15-08 01:39 AM
    I just ordered my first BB on Tuesday. I got a Curve.. I have never had a phone with a qwerty keyboard.. everyone I know says that the curve is one of the best BB's made in terms of form factor and keyboard layout.. I'm huge into email/texting/forums so I think a qwerty keyboard will be the best. Also, it might just be me but I like the bigger screen of the curve over the pearl so I can see more of what I am typing or reading :P
    05-15-08 01:42 AM
    It's a tough one, huh? I have the Pearl and love it. You get used to everything after a few days especially because it's so addictive!

Whichever BB you pick will be an awesome choice, but I definitely love my Pearl!

05-15-08 01:42 AM
    this is going to be so hard!!
    05-15-08 01:55 AM
    It shouldn't be. As Cate said, just pick one and stick to it. You'll like it no matter which it is. I say get the Curve, but if you get the Pearl I'm sure you won't regret it either.
    05-15-08 02:18 AM
    There is always the 30 days trial period. Since you're leaning towards the Pearl, Try the Curve at first. If it not to your likings, then you can return it for the Pearl.
    05-15-08 03:29 AM
    There is always the 30 days trial period. Since you're leaning towards the Pearl, Try the Curve at first. If it not to your likings, then you can return it for the Pearl.
    Yea I forgot about that, you could try them both out.
    05-15-08 05:38 AM
    It depends on preference really. I went from pearl to curve cause I prefer qwerty keyboard. The suretype is good though I was typing away with it once it learned my typing style. Depends what your preference really both have the same features organization wise.

05-15-08 05:47 AM
    When I was deciding on a BB I instantly fell in love with the Pearl. But I have also spent a lot of time playing around with my friend's AT&T curve, we even swap for a few hours sometimes. So here's my slightly biased opinion lol. I would choose the Pearl based on your criteria b/c the Pearl is very small and a lot of women including me like that. But If you choose the curve its really not much larger. Also for web site viewing and emails the screen size of the Pearl is pretty good depending on how old u r. I discouraged my mom from getting a Pearl b/c I know she sometimes gets headaches from reading smaller type. I would also choose the Pearl over the Curve b/c like someone else said once you get all your words in the dictionary and get the hang of suretype you'll be typing so fast you won't believe it. And of course on VZW you can get the pink one! I have sprint so I got the Crimson color and I absolutely love it, very sexy lol!

My suggestion is try out the Pearl for a while within your return period. If its not everything you thought it would be and more, return it for the curve and see If you don't like it better.

05-15-08 09:51 AM
    Welcome to the family...

I have both and enjoy typing on the Pearl more. The key is getting your words into the dictionary and getting used to what words you have to select in the word list and what words you have to just hit space and continue as it will be the word selected.

The best decision was going into the store and testing it out... The other decision I would suggest is to take home the Pearl and play with it for half the trial period and then swapping it out if you can't get used to the typing.
    I agree with you!
    05-15-08 11:34 AM
    I had a chance to go to a Curve from the Pearl shortly after I got my Pearl, and I really disliked the size of the keys on the Curve. I stuck with my Pearl and love it.

It's preference of course, but I can't imagine not having my Pearl.
    05-15-08 02:36 PM
    i vote for the curve. but you cant go wrong as long as its a bb.
    05-15-08 03:19 PM
    I switched from a curve to a pearl. If you really like the size of the pearl and it's important to you that it fits nicely in your pocket or evening bag, go with the pearl. That was the deciding factor for me, and I couldn't be happier.
    05-15-08 06:08 PM
    Definitly the pearl is smaler and it will fit better in your pocket but on my side if you text a lot the curve is the way to go, the keypad is better than the pearl, no dub about it .. i love my curve!!!
    05-15-08 06:28 PM
    Get the curve.
    05-15-08 06:33 PM
    wow thanks everyone who has responded this far... I really appreciate the comments! You guys are all great advertisers for the phones you've got-- Wish I could get both, lol! Another question I have for you - in terms of web browsing (i'm not a heavy web surfer but...) is it difficult to view pages on the pearl?? Using Opera Mini or another 3rd party internet app?
    05-16-08 12:42 AM
    I don't have a Pearl, but I wouldn't imagine it'd be too hard; with Opera Mini all you do is click on the area you want to read and it zooms in, similar to Safari on the iPhone, but without the touchscreen. Honestly though, the internet is where the Curve has the Pearl beat, given the bigger screen size.
    05-16-08 12:46 AM
    I bet the screen size makes a huge difference -- I wish Verizon would put the curve out on display so I could play with both Verizon models side by side! I browsed some pages with the pearl's browser and it was just a bunch of lines of text so I didn't know if Opera Mini actually allows you to view the HTML page?
    05-16-08 01:10 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD