Go to Market and do a search for profile. I did and came up with many. Only tried one called "quick profiles" it is free and goes way beyond what blackberry ever offered. You can set up as many custom profiles as you like and switch between them. The best thing....you can not only change your volumes etc, but also wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, actual ringtone, screen timeout, alarms, notifications, etc....
    Superior to anything I saw from the otherside. I am sure there are many more out there, but just thought I would pass that on.
    11-07-09 12:45 PM
    Go to Market and do a search for profile. I did and came up with many. Only tried one called "quick profiles" it is free and goes way beyond what blackberry ever offered. You can set up as many custom profiles as you like and switch between them. The best thing....you can not only change your volumes etc, but also wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, actual ringtone, screen timeout, alarms, notifications, etc....
    Superior to anything I saw from the otherside. I am sure there are many more out there, but just thought I would pass that on.
    Is it free? Thanks for the info
    11-07-09 12:53 PM
    Nice. That sounds like a good find.
    11-07-09 12:58 PM
    Is it free? Thanks for the info
    There you go...
    11-07-09 01:27 PM
    mjs31, thanks for the tip.

Since I have been downloading some apps now, is there any way to NOT have all the downloaded apps show up in my main pull-up folder, since I have already pulled the apps out into the sub-screens and into folders to organize them? Is there a way to delete them from the main folder, or hide them, or do I just have to stick them in folders to keep the clutter down?
    11-07-09 01:33 PM
    mjs31, thanks for the tip.

Since I have been downloading some apps now, is there any way to NOT have all the downloaded apps show up in my main pull-up folder, since I have already pulled the apps out into the sub-screens and into folders to organize them? Is there a way to delete them from the main folder, or hide them, or do I just have to stick them in folders to keep the clutter down?
    yes when you pull them down hit the menu key/delete
    11-07-09 01:40 PM
    yes when you pull them down hit the menu key/delete
    I'm not understanding this, can you elaborate? If I do a long press on the icon and I start to drag it, the Menu key is not active.
    11-07-09 01:51 PM
    Works great thanks for the tip, there seems to be an app for everything you can think of. Just awsome!
    11-07-09 02:15 PM
    This apparently is great, I just wish it would indicate what profile is active.

That being said, you can't beat free.

I love this phone!
    11-07-09 02:24 PM
    <voice style="homer simpson">

And when IS this free weekend? And how much does it cost? Woohoo! See you this weekend! It's free, right?

</voice>

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 03:24 PM
    This apparently is great, I just wish it would indicate what profile is active.

That being said, you can't beat free.

I love this phone!
    11-07-09 03:56 PM
    Thanks again
    11-07-09 03:57 PM
    Another app that I've tried is Night Ringer. There is a trial and paid version, think like $.99 or $1.99.

It allows you to control 4 profiles and also has a widget that allows you to change them from the home screen with just a tap.

Not unlimited profiles and not as many options as Quick Profiles, but I do like the widget so I can just tap to change.

One other feature is that it allows you to select the option to let Emergency Contacts ring through no matter what the settings. Haven't found out how to set a contact as an Emergency contact, but I've only had the phone since yesterday morning. My dad is currently in very poor health, and I'd like to set it up so that if my mom calls in the middle of the night, the phone rings even if it is set to silent. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Again, just another of the MANY option available in the Market Place just for handling profiles.
    11-07-09 05:28 PM
    great tip on Quick Profiles -- thanks that was my only sadness. Now it is perfect for me

edit: I tried searching "profile" again and it says 31 results, but none are this one. I had to search for it by exact name - hope that helps anyone else looking.
    Last edited by howie; 11-07-09 at 07:19 PM.
    11-07-09 07:17 PM
    Also look at LOCALE
    Locale - 20 Android Apps: Our Favorites - Tom's Guide

It basically sets your "profile" dependent on where you are via the GPS. So once you cross that GPS threshold to certain places it auto-sets your phone. Like if you go into work it can set it to silent, etc.

d.
    11-07-09 07:21 PM
    Locale (free) + plugins + X10 modules= Send a text to the office telling them I'm on my way as soon as I leave the house (the receptionist loves this. she can tell people when I'll be in), wakes my office computer and starts up Outlook as I park at work, changes my notification volume level to low but keeps ringtone level high when I'm in the office, tweets my wife where I'm eating lunch with a google maps link to the place in case she wants to join me.

As I turn onto my street on my way home, the porch light turns on and the garage door opens. This is where the X10 modules come in handy.

I had the X10 modules, and IIRC one of the locale plugins cost $0.99 (0.99 cents for vzw reps...sorry couldn't resist...j/k)

I think thats good enough profile managment. For me anyway
    11-07-09 07:31 PM
    Has anyone found an app similar to Profiler for bb? I used to be able to set up profiles that would start and end at the times I set. I have looked and not found anything like it yet...
    11-08-09 06:57 PM
    Awesome find. This was one thing that I really missed coming from my BlackBerry. Now it's one less thing to wish that I had. Now all I need is a good AIM app and I'd love for someone to make a Texts From Last Night app.
    11-08-09 07:45 PM
    Has anyone found an app similar to Profiler for bb? I used to be able to set up profiles that would start and end at the times I set. I have looked and not found anything like it yet...
    locale can be set up using timed profiles instead of GPS and/or Wifi.
    11-08-09 07:49 PM
    locale can be set up using timed profiles instead of GPS and/or Wifi.
    Very cool!! Thanks!
    11-08-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD