I'm getting sick of Rogers and all their bullsh*t.

Thinking of switching over to Bell, but don't want to sign a contract... does anyone know if Bell's new 3G network is compatible with Rogers issued phones if I were to get my Bold unlocked?
    11-07-09 11:25 AM
    Well it would need a bell sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 11:11 PM
    The Bell sim card isn't available unless you sign a 3yr...ugh. Does ANY carrier in Canada offer MTM anymore?
    11-07-09 11:44 PM
    Telus does... TELUS sim card is 9.99, you pick ur plan and go M2M
    11-08-09 06:57 AM
    The Bell sim card isn't available unless you sign a 3yr...ugh.
    Seriously? That doesn't make any sense to me :\

Does ANY carrier in Canada offer MTM anymore?
    I'm on month-to-month with Rogers.
    11-08-09 11:04 AM
    DOes anyone know the answer, will a rogers unlocked phone even work on the Bellus network, assuming it's 3G ?
    11-08-09 11:26 AM
    gimme a min i know theres a link to check
    11-08-09 12:57 PM
    This should answer your question.

The TELUS device compatibility Tool

Network Compatibility Tool | Phones and devices | Support | TELUS Mobility
    11-08-09 12:57 PM
    The Bell sim card isn't available unless you sign a 3yr...ugh. Does ANY carrier in Canada offer MTM anymore?
    Not true - check out the page on Bell's website where you can purchase a SIM card SIM card for $ 5.00 with 'no contract' (or alternatively get the sim card for 'free' if you sign up for a 3 year plan... ya, right!) .

You do have to sign up for a voice and/or data plan, but you wouldn't want the sim card with out a voice or data plan anyway.

SIM card
    11-09-09 09:24 AM
    Kool thanks for the replies guys!

I just checked the Bell IMEI compatibility page and it confirmed my Bold 9000 could be ported over!

About to give Rogers a swift kick in the a$s, I know all the carriers are evil... but if I'm going to get f***ed in the a$s, I'd like a new swing partner!
    Last edited by BBGun; 11-09-09 at 11:52 AM.
    11-09-09 11:50 AM
    ok, answer me this.

why can the 8900 i have work on the telus network, but not the bell network - aren't they running on the SAME frequencies now??

jesus christ this is getting annoying.
    11-18-09 10:18 AM
    An 8900 won't work on the Bell network I thought, are sure about that?
    11-18-09 10:31 AM
    You still need a bell Sim Card to work on bell and Telus Sim Card to work on telus and Rogers Sim Card to work on Rogers.

Each network has their own carrier signal for their own sim cards to work.

Telus Piggy Backs on Bells Towers, but they are not the same SIM card network registered = separate companies which they are.

Now as for AT&T a rogers phone for sure will bounce to their towers without having to use a AT&T sim card, NOTE roaming charges will apply and so forth if you use the phone on AT&T network without a AT&T sim card just like any other networks towers.... yada yada yada.

And yes you will need a DATA PLAN with Bell and Telus and Rogers to use DATA PHONES on their networks. This means of course 3 Plans on 3 Networks and 3 Sim Cards on 3 Networks = more money.

= useless as all these 3 carriers have the same type of coverage in 90% of all locations the are with in, yes bell and telus have some locations that rogers don't, but same goes for rogers where bell and telus don't ahve coverage.

Also NOTE: You can not use PAY AS YOU GO service with ANY of these carriers with a SMART PHONE as all SMART PHONES need to have a data plan to work on their network.

Also NOTE: That some areas where bell and telus are loacted there is no 3G service and bell and telus don't have a 2G service, unlike Rogers has Both 2G and 3G services in 99% of their coverage area.
    11-18-09 10:35 AM
    ok, answer me this.

why can the 8900 i have work on the telus network, but not the bell network - aren't they running on the SAME frequencies now??

jesus christ this is getting annoying.
    curve8900 won't work on either network. it doesn't have hsdpa support.
    11-22-09 12:00 PM
    Only Phones like the Bold 9700, Bold 9000, Storm (not storm 2) and the TOUR (Not TOUR 2 nots ure yet, but if like storm 2 then NO) on Rogers, Bell and Telus.

Only if they are Unlocked.

They all Require a DATA PLAN and the SIM card from the carrier.

You can not do Pay as you go with TELUS, BELL cause these phones are DATA phones and require you by telus and bell to have a DATA PLAN = A CONTRACT.
    11-22-09 03:58 PM
    Only Phones like the Bold 9700, Bold 9000, Storm (not storm 2) and the TOUR (Not TOUR 2 nots ure yet, but if like storm 2 then NO) on Rogers, Bell and Telus.

Only if they are Unlocked.

They all Require a DATA PLAN and the SIM card from the carrier.

You can not do Pay as you go with TELUS, BELL cause these phones are DATA phones and require you by telus and bell to have a DATA PLAN = A CONTRACT.
    you seem pretty adament that the tour would work on the new network.. do you have proof ?
    11-23-09 09:11 PM
    you seem pretty adament that the tour would work on the new network.. do you have proof ?
    The tour does not work on the new network,Bell sells them, as they support only edge for GSM Data and not 3G. The storm also does not work on the new network as it has the same specs as the Tour.
    11-24-09 06:40 PM
    Did someone mention Pay as you go. I thought the OP was looking for MTM - which is different no? You can sign up for a plan and data plan and not be pay as you if you already have equipment that will work with the new carrier. Maybe im wrong - its been known to happen
    11-25-09 03:21 PM
    I have an unlocked Rogers Bold 9700, and use it on bell network. i was already in a 3yr contract with bell though. i started with pearl (cdma) tour (cdma) then the Rogers Bold 9700. from what i know the bell sim card is $5. i paid $5 plus tax and no activation fee to change from my tour to my bold. However like i said i am and was already on a 3yr contract. so yes you can use a rogers bold on bell, but as far as haveing to have a 3yr contract, i doubt it. you just pay more for the phone if you start say a 1yr contract. but pay as you go i have no idea. and MTM i don't even know what that means. lol
    03-28-10 05:40 PM
    I tried to use a Rogers Bold 9000 on Bell. I found that no matter what OS I ran (even downloading from Bell's site) I had a problem receiving pushed content (eg emails, BBM messages). It's not that I couldn't send/receive messages, it just didn't push the content to my device until I performed an operation that used data (sending an email/PIN/BBM message/Facebook message/etc, browsing the web).

I got fed up and switched to Rogers. Haven't had any problems with the device since, and I'm running 5.0.0.411

EDIT: also, I had to frequently go to the Host Routing Table and "Register Now" because it kept losing data coverage. Additionally, when I tried to run OS 4.6 the phone always said it was roaming (even when it wasn't).
    Last edited by whitebread_b; 04-07-10 at 09:21 PM.
    04-07-10 09:18 PM
    Will an unlocked Blackberry Bold 9780 from Bell work on the Rogers network? Will I be able to use data on it? Also will I be losing features on the phone by not buying it directly from Rogers???
    02-01-11 09:27 PM
    My unlocked Bell Pearl 3G works just fine on the Rogers network, If your planning on going to Bell for a phone I beg you to reconsider.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f160/2-hours-hold-571613/
    02-01-11 09:54 PM
    Will an unlocked Blackberry Bold 9780 from Bell work on the Rogers network? Will I be able to use data on it? Also will I be losing features on the phone by not buying it directly from Rogers???
    It will work no problem. You will not lose any features.
    02-01-11 10:05 PM
    where i am sim cards are 5 bucks for bell
    03-15-11 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD