This was the one thing keeping me from getting the Droid so we did a test. The Droid Vs two different Blackberrys REAL TIME email!

Test 1... we all work for the same company with BES. My buddy upgraded to the Droid today. 1 Droid, 1 Storm, & 1 Pearl were the phones being tested. I called a buddy and he sent an email to all of us from his phone...we all recieved it at the same time (within a fraction of a second).
    Test 2... From a desktop within our Corp Intranet...Again within a fraction of a second received on all three.
    Test 3... From the Droid to the two Blackberries and desktop. Again instantly all three received the email.

I'm serious, you couldn't even get out the "I" in "I got mine" before everybody else got theirs.

I forgot why I was loyal to Blackberry, oh ya, their claim to push email......NOT ANYMORE....Droid here I come!!!!!!!!
    11-06-09 09:36 PM
    This was the one thing keeping me from getting the Droid so we did a test. The Droid Vs two different Blackberrys REAL TIME email!

Test 1... we all work for the same company with BES. My buddy upgraded to the Droid today. 1 Droid, 1 Storm, & 1 Pearl were the phones being tested. I called a buddy and he sent an email to all of us from his phone...we all recieved it at the same time (within a fraction of a second).
    Test 2... From a desktop within our Corp Intranet...Again within a fraction of a second received on all three.
    Test 3... From the Droid to the two Blackberries and desktop. Again instantly all three received the email.

I'm serious, you couldn't even get out the "I" in "I got mine" before everybody else got theirs.

I forgot why I was loyal to Blackberry, oh ya, their claim to push email......NOT ANYMORE....Droid here I come!!!!!!!!
    Cool story. Of course you received them at the same time: you were all connected to an Exchange server via BES or AS. Run the same test on a non Exchange, non-gmail account and let us know which device gets the mail fastest.
    11-06-09 09:45 PM
    He did the test for business users. Why does a consumer need their e-mails the EXACT minute they're sent?

I use gmail anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
    11-06-09 09:52 PM
    Cool story. Of course you received them at the same time: you were all connected to an Exchange server via BES or AS. Run the same test on a non Exchange, non-gmail account and let us know which device gets the mail fastest.
    It'll be a tossup, but the Droid can get it faster on a manual refresh or the 5 minute lowest autopoll. The BB's will default under the 18 minute BIS poll unless there was recent activity on the account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 10:07 PM
    Cool story.
    Run the same test on a non Exchange, non-gmail AND non-RIM server account and let us know which device gets the mail fastest.

What? Can't get your own mail without letting RIM get it first?
    Android wins.

So to make it fair....use Googles server to poll your pop accounts and RIM's server to poll as well. Leave phone off for 21 minutes. Send a mail to both. Android gets mail 2 minutes faster.
    Android wins.

RIM holds an edge if you use Yahoo. I concede that.
    11-06-09 10:13 PM
    He did the test for business users. Why does a consumer need their e-mails the EXACT minute they're sent?

I use gmail anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
    I'm curious because I have both BES and BIS accounts configured on my device. Consumers have all sorts of reasons to want to receive mail promptly. I won't even get into that.
    11-06-09 10:15 PM
    Cool story.
    Run the same test on a non Exchange, non-gmail AND non-RIM server account and let us know which device gets the mail fastest.

What? Can't get your own mail without letting RIM get it first?
    Android wins.

So to make it fair....use Googles server to poll your pop accounts and RIM's server to poll as well. Leave phone off for 21 minutes. Send a mail to both. Android gets mail 2 minutes faster.
    Android wins.

RIM holds an edge if you use Yahoo. I concede that.
    As a side note, if I've got 4 non-Exchange accounts on my hypothetical Android device, all polling every 5 minutes, what's the impact going to be on my battery? I'm not being sarcastic here at all, I'm dead serious/curious. If you've been running an Android device for a while what's your experience been with that?
    11-06-09 10:19 PM
    As a side note, if I've got 4 non-Exchange accounts on my hypothetical Android device, all polling every 5 minutes, what's the impact going to be on my battery? I'm not being sarcastic here at all, I'm dead serious/curious. If you've been running an Android device for a while what's your experience been with that?
    It's likely not going to be very pretty, but not as bad as one would think. Android does a pretty decent job with power managment AFTER the device has been running for a few days. Think of the "settling in" peroid when you install a leak or hybrid, it's pretty similiar just takes a bit longer for Android. All it has to do is query your pop account and see if new mail is there, and if so then it dl's it. If no new mail, it's just a ping. I would compare a 5 minute poll on an average users mail account (less than 100 daily) to have about the same effect as UbetTwitter did on my curve with a 15 minute refresh. Enough to notice, but not a real impact. I'm polling every 5 on 3 accounts, one of which is VERY active (50-60 mails per hour), running an exchange account as well as the native gmail account here. I came off the charger at 10:40 AM (EST), and still have 51% battery. Granted I have excellent signal strength here and am not using wifi, so that's a big factor. I also haven't used the web on the phone much today. On a heavy use day I get about 18 hours until I get the battery low warning. On an average day I'm still >25% when I go to bed at 4AM (EST)
    11-06-09 10:35 PM
    When I'm concerned about "Instanteous email" it is for work. I work in the OR(surgery) and sometimes need answer ASAP. After a day at my job, I could careless if I get the email "Honey, grab some tomato's on the way home." a few minutes too late. If its important my family knows to call not email.
    11-06-09 10:39 PM
    Excuss my ignorance here, but my understanding is that its the actual gmail acount doing the polling/pinging and not the phone, the only time the phone is involved is when an email is sent or received. So by that its not going to have as much of an effect on the battery.
    11-06-09 10:43 PM
    It's likely not going to be very pretty, but not as bad as one would think. Android does a pretty decent job with power managment AFTER the device has been running for a few days. Think of the "settling in" peroid when you install a leak or hybrid, it's pretty similiar just takes a bit longer for Android. All it has to do is query your pop account and see if new mail is there, and if so then it dl's it. If no new mail, it's just a ping. I would compare a 5 minute poll on an average users mail account (less than 100 daily) to have about the same effect as UbetTwitter did on my curve with a 15 minute refresh. Enough to notice, but not a real impact. I'm polling every 5 on 3 accounts, one of which is VERY active (50-60 mails per hour), running an exchange account as well as the native gmail account here. I came off the charger at 10:40 AM (EST), and still have 51% battery. Granted I have excellent signal strength here and am not using wifi, so that's a big factor. I also haven't used the web on the phone much today. On a heavy use day I get about 18 hours until I get the battery low warning. On an average day I'm still >25% when I go to bed at 4AM (EST)
    Thanks for the good info.
    11-06-09 10:44 PM
    Not a problem. Thanks for the civility!
    11-06-09 10:49 PM
    Anyone run a test just pushing email from an Exchange server through BIS? Seems people either have BES with Exchange or are trying to push POP mail through BIS, but I just need my Exchange email to come through BIS. On my Storm, it works beautifully (except for not being able to see who else got the cc's) - in fact, my Storm gets the emails quicker than through Outlook via Exchange server on my PCs. Just want to make sure the Droid can get pushed Exchange server emails through BIS (without BES).

Thanks!

11-06-09 11:46 PM
    Just want to make sure the Droid can get pushed Exchange server emails through BIS (without BES).
    Is it even possible to have Droid talk to BIS to get email? Seems highly unlikely.
    11-10-09 07:47 PM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service.

The Droid has nothing to do with BIS. Exchange on the Droid will essentially give you service equivelant to BES on a Blackberry.
    11-10-09 08:03 PM
    BIS = Blackberry Internet Service.

The Droid has nothing to do with BIS. Exchange on the Droid will essentially give you service equivelant to BES on a Blackberry.
    My point exactly.

From what I'm reading, it may not exactly be equivalent to BES for exchange, as the ActiveSync implementation in Android 2.0 is somewhat hobbled. How hobbled is something I'm still trying to track down.
    11-11-09 02:11 AM
    This only works if your IT department supports exchange, correct? I'd love to make the move, but we've got BES only, I think.
    11-11-09 12:52 PM
    Lets see your Droid do this!! BlackBerry - Storm Apps - Do More with your BlackBerry Storm Smartphone
    I had the Droid for exactly 1-!/2 days and took it back and got the Storm2. Droid is nothing but a Voyager2 with full html, wifi, and a supposedly better camera, and a data plan! Data plan for push email? wake up everyone, it has a clear screen, but is NOT a PDA, just a phone loaded with gizmo's. Locked to Verizon, not a world phone, name one upper end smart phone that can't multi-task like the Droid. Use voice dialer to call contacts, and it stops at a selection screen for you to choose which contact to call, it never fully completes a voice call command. Works for google maps, but that's it. BlackBerry - Storm Apps - Do More with your BlackBerry Storm Smartphone Lets see Droid do this..
    11-11-09 01:08 PM
    @Zach471 Your BES is a front end for Exchange. If you can do Webmail Exchange, you can do push email from Exchange with the Droid. Just use the same credentials you would use to do webmail and it will work. Oh, and don't setup through email. Do it in the Corporate Calendar. That will make sure that you get email, calendar, and contacts from your Exchange. Works like a charm (or so I am told). I can't update until the 25th :-(
    11-11-09 06:26 PM
    Lets see your Droid do this!! BlackBerry - Storm Apps - Do More with your BlackBerry Storm Smartphone
    I had the Droid for exactly 1-!/2 days and took it back and got the Storm2. Droid is nothing but a Voyager2 with full html, wifi, and a supposedly better camera, and a data plan! Data plan for push email? wake up everyone, it has a clear screen, but is NOT a PDA, just a phone loaded with gizmo's. Locked to Verizon, not a world phone, name one upper end smart phone that can't multi-task like the Droid. Use voice dialer to call contacts, and it stops at a selection screen for you to choose which contact to call, it never fully completes a voice call command. Works for google maps, but that's it. BlackBerry - Storm Apps - Do More with your BlackBerry Storm Smartphone Lets see Droid do this..
    You're so brainwashed, it's not even funny...
    11-11-09 07:54 PM
    We have an old outdated version of Mdaemon at my office with no connectors. My Blackberry could access my e-mail via IMAP like a champ. The Droid cannot do IMAP or POP successfully with Mdaemon. For Mdaemon, it literally steals the connection away from the Mdaemon queue and makes it so the mail will not be delivered to my office computer Outlook inbox. For POP3, it will only fetch the mail if the mail is in the queue (outlook is not running).

So work e-mail is worthless on my Droid. Blackberry works better for e-mail in my situation. Now I just want my company to update the server to exchange...which is a hard sale for a small business in this economy.
    11-11-09 08:03 PM
    @Zach471 Your BES is a front end for Exchange. If you can do Webmail Exchange, you can do push email from Exchange with the Droid. Just use the same credentials you would use to do webmail and it will work. Oh, and don't setup through email. Do it in the Corporate Calendar. That will make sure that you get email, calendar, and contacts from your Exchange. Works like a charm (or so I am told). I can't update until the 25th :-(
    This is great information. Thanks for taking the time.
    11-12-09 08:35 AM
    Ummm, guess what? BES don't do isht without an email server for it to connect to. What that email server is, depends on your company. Exchange is MS's email server, so if you have that, ActiveSync is a "native" capability of that server for wireless/mobile email. BES is RIM's 3rd party server package that must be run on a separate box which is then configured to integrate with Exchange or anther email server to push emails and other content to your BB.

Hope this clears up your misinformation.
    Thanks, that helps. I'll ask some questions of the IT guys.
    11-12-09 08:35 AM
    My point exactly.

From what I'm reading, it may not exactly be equivalent to BES for exchange, as the ActiveSync implementation in Android 2.0 is somewhat hobbled. How hobbled is something I'm still trying to track down.
    Good idea. What I've been able to find so far is:

- If you forward an email, it will be sent as an EML file attachment. That means anybody that receives it on a BlackBerry won't be able to read the forwarded message.

- You can't search email or calendar entries.

- Forwarding a message does not forward attachments. This one is supposedly scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update.

- Can only attach picture files. This one is supposedly scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update.

- Cannot accept meeting invites through the email app. Supposedly, there is some way to do it through the Calendar app.

- If you edit a recurring appointment with a large invite list, it can cause the device to lock up. This one is supposedly scheduled to be fixed in an upcoming update.

In other words, the current ActiveSync support is a joke. I'm not really sure why they bothered. Virtually anybody that would want to use AS to sync with Exchange is going to find these limitations to be completely unacceptable.
    11-12-09 09:12 AM
    for corporate work, the only thing your sacrificing by going android is the RIM infrastructure, and the security. for consumer use, you're losing the "instant" email (only for yahoo, gmail and hotmail that i use, everything else is on the 18 min poll as i understand). consumer use is what i'll use it for, since i'll now have a work phone (blackberry), so i'll have best of both worlds.

one thing that came up in discussing this situation with my friends was that most companies are married to the BES infrastructure, they've invested tons and tons into the servers and licenses. the only thing we were concerned about was if there was a limit of licenses you can run on active sync and exchange. i don't think there is, but i might be wrong.
    11-28-09 06:30 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD