This post probably won't get a lot of responses, but for 2 years now, I've wondered why the entire industry seems to assume that Verizon has the best network. Purely for phone calls, I still have about a 50/50 chance I can successfully complete a call without being dropped if I try to use my Storm (VZW) from my home. When we have people over, IPhone users on AT&T have no problems making calls. Same with a guy who's on Sprint. But nope, not me with Verizon, in my OWN home. I have to walk outside practically to the middle of the road before I can get a good phone connection. The reception for data is equally bad, as my Storm even loses its connection with BIS if I set my phone down for a few minutes. And it's not my device only, as my wife also has the 9530 (family plan)...and she, too, gets crappy signals. As weird as this sounds, moving AWAY from Verizon may be my biggest motivator now, and thus keeping me from considering another BB or the nifty DROID, and looking at the all-too-popular IPhone. I just can't see why everyone assumes Verizon has the "best network" when it's the only service that seems to not work in my house!!! Imagine that - I'm actually WISHING I had AT&T, not because of their device, but because AT&T users seem to get much better signals in my house.
    11-06-09 03:31 AM
    Well, you just happen to be in a spot where VZW isn't the best...it does happen once in awhile. I can tell you from my truck driving days that VZW has FAR superior coverage overall than anyone else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 04:07 AM
    Yeah, just because VZW has an overall better network doesn't mean it is better in ever single place.

My girlfriend's house has horrible signal inside it, but she still sticks with VZW because it's overall better. One thing you can try is calling Verizon and seeing what they have to say about it. There may be something they can do for you(maybe a discount on their network extender or something). Might be worth a shot. What's the worst that happens? They say they can't do anything? Verizon has always been very good to me and helping me with any problems I had.
    11-06-09 04:14 AM
    When I'm at home ( a pretty major city) I get crappy service. When I go to vist my sister in hartville (farmville) I get the best service. But no one else gets service out there. I think the coverage is decent.

11-06-09 07:21 AM
    Don't you watch television? There's a map for that.
    11-06-09 07:34 AM
    In Atlanta, you'd expect the coverage to be excellent almost everywhere for all carriers. Outside it almost certainly is, step inside a large concrete building and it's not so. Working alongside electricians, plumbers, masons, etc who have AT&T as well as co workers on that network I can say some of it has to do with the tech. Those of us with VZW maybe Sprint, not sure how many had that, were more than able to get calls, emails, even tether/surf on laptops. Anyone on ATT would drop calls if they ever got them, could get almost no speed with aircards, etc.

Coworker with ATT aircard and a Storm - I showed him Tetherberry while waiting between equipment tests. He looked it over. Come next day he was already selling the antenna/coverage extender he HAD to use to get decent data with ATT.
    11-06-09 07:38 AM
    Also, this may be obvious, but have you updated your rooaming capabilities with *228?

11-06-09 11:39 AM
    Just for grins, what signal strength are you typically seeing for your device? Inside my house, it usually ranges between -102 dBm and -114 dBm. Really sucks...and if I stand in my driveway, MAYBE I get -92 or -96. I went out for lunch earlier, and outside my car where I parked, it was -80...and everything (even the BB browser) seemed soooo zippy to me. So maybe there IS a good VZW network out there - just not where I live
    11-06-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD