Ok first I want to express my frustration that the new Curve is being released with the trackpad! I didnt think sprint would ever get one of those. I currently have the Tour and was one of the lucky ones, so I thought. I got a BB Tour with no trackball issues..then suddenly about 2 months ago..my freakin trackball starting completely going haywire, and my bb is really slow and delayed. I have cleaned it, wiped it, and tried taking over apps, thinking it was me....I was really pressed about having a global phone because my father lives over in Italy and I planned on going for XMAS but now I am just freaking regretting I ever purchased it and didnt wait for the new Curve! What do I do? Its so time consuming to keep going to have them replace my tour....
    11-05-09 10:49 PM
    You have one year warr on your device. Take it back!

If you take it back enough times and BI*CH enough, they might give you the new Curve.
    11-05-09 11:20 PM
    Every Tour has a defective trackball. They may be fine for a short period of time or users might not be intelligent enough to know the difference, but they are all defective by design.

Sprint is rushing the Curve2 and Tour2 along as quickly as they can.
    11-05-09 11:24 PM
    They got to do better!!! Everyone with a Tour should be able to upgrade immediately to anything they want, Because I am happy to have the Tour but I have had the trackball issue also and I have been so busy this week matter of fact this last couple of months and of course they cant just mail me a new one!!! With my 8830 they didnt even bother troubleshooting they just mailed me another one
    11-06-09 04:52 PM
    Every Tour has a defective trackball. They may be fine for a short period of time or users might not be intelligent enough to know the difference, but they are all defective by design.

Sprint is rushing the Curve2 and Tour2 along as quickly as they can.
    It's not true that EVERY Tour has a defective trackball. For the first couple of months after its release, many of the Tours did have defective trackballs, but that issue has been fixed.
    Not to mention the fact that it's the same trackball that the 8900 has. So does EVERY 8900 have a defective trackball too? No. Have fun with your 8830.
    11-06-09 08:10 PM
    It's not true that EVERY Tour has a defective trackball. For the first couple of months after its release, many of the Tours did have defective trackballs, but that issue has been fixed.
    Not to mention the fact that it's the same trackball that the 8900 has. So does EVERY 8900 have a defective trackball too? No. Have fun with your 8830.
    And you have a way to identify the good Sprint Tours without opening the box? Waiting....
    11-06-09 08:12 PM
    And you have a way to identify the good Sprint Tours without opening the box? Waiting....
    No, but if somebody gets a bad Tour, they can have it replaced. The Curve wasn't perfect either, neither was the 8900 or the Bold or the Pearl or 8700 or... it's unfortunate but true that when a new device is released, there will be problems. Over a few months, however, with user feedback, etc., the quality of any given device is improved. This is the case with the Tour, as will be the case with the 9700 and the Essex.
    11-06-09 08:31 PM
    Yes, actually. Phones manufactured AFTER August 12th should be fine. Sprint did finally address the issue once it was presented to them...gotta give them judos for that at least. And they will replace the phone for you, even if youre outside of the 30 day window. The manufacture date can be found on the side of the phone, where the ESN, IMEI etc numbers are located.

It is NOT at all true that "every tour is defective by design"...thats just absurd.

11-06-09 08:35 PM
    Sorry man, but that's just not true. I'm on my third Tour because of the trackball failing. This third one was built after the supposed "fix" date, and guess what? The trackball doesn't work correctly horizontally anymore.

So, I guess I could call Sprint and argue with them, have them charge my account for a new phone, activate it, move all my data over, wipe the old phone, mail it back, get my bill and realize that they F'd it up like they always do whenever there is a change, call and spend an hour on the phone with retentions getting the incorrect charges waived...and then 3 weeks later have my damn trackball go out again. Does that sound like something you'd like to do once, let alone 3 or 4 times? What if you had two friends that also had Tours (as I do), and you help them out with tech stuff, and they are both on their second Tour because of the trackball issue? True story. Yes, I've set up 7 Tours since they were released.

I'm done with it. They need to release this new Tour so that those of us with the trackball problems can return the stupid thing ONE last time and know that we won't have that issue anymore.

Nothing is perfect, but this is a major issue that is widespread. It is recall worthy imho.
    11-06-09 09:32 PM
    Interesting how you said 'anymore' - when you pulled it fresh out of the box it was working, no? a month later its not working...eventually over time, any trackball on any phone is going to fail. Whether it be from hair/dust/grime from your hands getting in there, or whatever the case may be....all trackballs eventually fail...okay maybe not ALL, but most...

The trackball 'issue' on the tour was a manufacturing error, causing trackballs to malfunction when scrolling horizontally...most notably, to the right. I've been in your shoes. My second Tour had this problem. The first didnt, the first had a faulty headphone jack. The third also had a faulty headphone jack. My Sprint bill was at one point over $1200, and I had to fight with CSR's for three months to get the ******* thing adjusted correctly. Still haven't seen my MIR by the way. And to top it off, today I receive an insurance replacement from Asurion (phone was stolen this past week) and the ******* ESN is attached to someone elses account. A 4-hour time window for Asurion to email Sprint with the information to fix the ESN has now taken 12+ hours, and I have been told it could now take 24-48 hours for Sprint to fix the ESN so I can activate this phone and PRAY there is nothing wrong with it. So yeah, it sucks...the system is ****ed. Sprint is ****ed. The Tour is ****ed. Admitted.

However, to say there is a MASS issue with the trackball is ignorant. Many, many users have reported receiving flawless units. Sure some, like ours, are completely ****ed....agreed...but not all of them, clearly. The Tour you received had a working trackball out of the box, then failed later down the line, but it didnt come out of the box broken, correct?

Sorry man, but that's just not true. I'm on my third Tour because of the trackball failing. This third one was built after the supposed "fix" date, and guess what? The trackball doesn't work correctly horizontally anymore.

So, I guess I could call Sprint and argue with them, have them charge my account for a new phone, activate it, move all my data over, wipe the old phone, mail it back, get my bill and realize that they F'd it up like they always do whenever there is a change, call and spend an hour on the phone with retentions getting the incorrect charges waived...and then 3 weeks later have my damn trackball go out again. Does that sound like something you'd like to do once, let alone 3 or 4 times? What if you had two friends that also had Tours (as I do), and you help them out with tech stuff, and they are both on their second Tour because of the trackball issue? True story. Yes, I've set up 7 Tours since they were released.

I'm done with it. They need to release this new Tour so that those of us with the trackball problems can return the stupid thing ONE last time and know that we won't have that issue anymore.

Nothing is perfect, but this is a major issue that is widespread. It is recall worthy imho.
    11-06-09 10:19 PM
    I had mine replaced on July 27th and the trackball has been crap ever since I got it. I just haven't had the time/patience to deal with the jokers in my local sprint store. Even a few curve users at work have commented on the horrible trackball when they use it. They say "What's wrong with your ball?"

I'm just waiting for the 9700 to be released so I can switch to T-Mobile.
    11-06-09 11:25 PM
    ummm, the Tour is a way better phone compared to the 8530......just saying
    11-06-09 11:28 PM
    The difficult part of trying to determine how many Tours there are with good vs bad trackball is that people love to complain. What I mean by that is most people that have had a good experiance with their Tour are just going to go about their normal life happy with their phone. But most people who have had a difficult time with their Tour are going to complain about it to everybody who'll listen.
    11-07-09 07:05 AM
    The difficult part of trying to determine how many Tours there are with good vs bad trackball is that people love to complain. What I mean by that is most people that have had a good experiance with their Tour are just going to go about their normal life happy with their phone. But most people who have had a difficult time with their Tour are going to complain about it to everybody who'll listen.
    I could buy that theory if people like me just had one bad device, couldn't stop talking about how bad it was, returned it, got a good one and went about our business.

Unfortunately, I'm on my third replacement, and many of us have had this same experience.
    11-07-09 09:34 AM
    My first tour had the trackball problem but I bought it the first day it was out. I lived with it for a month then I called bb support on sprint and pretended to do all the troubleshooting which I already did on my own. They placed an order for a brand new tour sealed, for me all I had to do is send in my old phone without anything so I kept all my original accessories. For anyone still having problems call them up you still have a one year warranty and don't let them try to make you go through insurance since you shouldn't have to pay a dime out of pocket.
    11-07-09 09:35 AM
    My biggest complaint is not being able to play Word Mole!!! LMAO
    11-07-09 11:08 AM
    My tour seems fine for now.. Well then again the first one I bought came with a defective charger (I had to hold it for it to catch a charge) and then after 2 weeks it kept re-booting. But now I got a new tour and it seems to be working just fine.. We shall see though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 06:55 PM
    I switched to sprint a little over a year ago. I used to have a blackberry curve at my old carrier. I have had about every smart phone made for sprint now. I miss the simplicity of the blackberry. If someone wants to get out of the blackberry tour they have and dont like, I will trade for a new great working palm treo pro 850.
    11-08-09 05:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD