I wanna see some, anybody know when these will be available or how they will look on our devices compared to the widgets on the android device?
    11-05-09 04:30 PM
    I am so excited about widgets, this will be a huge step for RIM. I am not aware of any dates, hopefully before the Torch webkit browser. That way we'll be set by next summer haha!
    11-05-09 04:34 PM
    What are widgets? I hear mention, but what is the difference between a widget and a icon? Thanks I don't mean to sound dumb just haven't really looked into it.
    11-05-09 04:52 PM
    In computer programming, a widget (or control) is an element of a graphical user interface (GUI) that displays an information arrangement changeable by the user, such as a window or a text box. The defining characteristic of a widget is to provide a single interaction point for the direct manipulation of a given kind of data. In other words, widgets are basic visual building blocks which, combined in an application, hold all the data processed by the application and the available interactions on this data.

A family of common reusable widgets has evolved for holding general information based on the PARC research for the Xerox Alto User Interface. Different implementations of these generic widgets are often packaged together in widget toolkits, which programmers use to build graphical user interfaces (GUIs). Most operating systems include a set of ready-to-tailor widgets that a programmer can incorporate in an application, specifying how it is to behave. Each type of widgets generally is defined as a class by object-oriented programming (OOP). Therefore, many widgets are derived from class inheritance.

Widgets are sometimes qualified as virtual to distinguish them from their physical counterparts, e.g. virtual buttons that can be clicked with a mouse cursor, vs. physical buttons that can be pressed with a finger.

A related (but different) concept is the desktop widget, a small specialized GUI application that provides some visual information and/or easy access to frequently used functions such as clocks, calendars, news aggregators, calculators and desktop notes. These kinds of widgets are hosted by a widget engine.
    11-05-09 05:39 PM
    So what kind of widgets can we expect to see? And how do you think they will look in comparison to other widgets we have seen on computers or the android devices? I would like to see a ESPN one..
    11-05-09 06:08 PM
    I definately would like to see an htc..esq clock widget with weather like this..

Last edited by rustyjar79; 11-05-09 at 06:30 PM.
    11-05-09 06:22 PM
    In computer programming, a widget (or control) is an element of a graphical user interface (GUI) that displays an information arrangement changeable by the user, such as a window or a text box. The defining characteristic of a widget is to provide a single interaction point for the direct manipulation of a given kind of data. In other words, widgets are basic visual building blocks which, combined in an application, hold all the data processed by the application and the available interactions on this data.

A family of common reusable widgets has evolved for holding general information based on the PARC research for the Xerox Alto User Interface. Different implementations of these generic widgets are often packaged together in widget toolkits, which programmers use to build graphical user interfaces (GUIs). Most operating systems include a set of ready-to-tailor widgets that a programmer can incorporate in an application, specifying how it is to behave. Each type of widgets generally is defined as a class by object-oriented programming (OOP). Therefore, many widgets are derived from class inheritance.

Widgets are sometimes qualified as virtual to distinguish them from their physical counterparts, e.g. virtual buttons that can be clicked with a mouse cursor, vs. physical buttons that can be pressed with a finger.

A related (but different) concept is the desktop widget, a small specialized GUI application that provides some visual information and/or easy access to frequently used functions such as clocks, calendars, news aggregators, calculators and desktop notes. These kinds of widgets are hosted by a widget engine.

You know you should give credit to where its due. You just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that the lack of reference makes it seem like you're the one who wrote this.... making you seem like your the intelligent one.

GUI widget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    11-05-09 06:22 PM
    You know you should give credit to where its due. You just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that the lack of reference makes it seem like you're the one who wrote this.... making you seem like your the intelligent one.

GUI widget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Funny thing is, I thought about that as I copied and pasted it from wikipedia, and only wanted to get to the point and paste what it was he wanted to know. I could have provided the wikipedia link to that, but I also figured it was apparent to everyone that I didnt type that up. So I left it to the one person who thought he was Mr. Genius because he discovered that I copied and pasted that message, to paste the link.
    11-05-09 06:44 PM
    Yeah I knew the clock/weather was a widget. now if I can get it on my phone with out using the HTC theme haha.
    11-05-09 06:46 PM

See the clock, it's a widget. Video shows others as well.

BTW, that phone blows the S2 out of the water.
    Was that really necessary?

You bash the S2 every chance you get don't you? Its getting really old. Why are you even on this site to begin with?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 08:08 PM
    Your like a gnat at a barbeque. Just buggin the f**k outta us rim supporters.

11-05-09 08:41 PM

See the clock, it's a widget. Video shows others as well.

BTW, that phone blows the S2 out of the water.
    wow if your gonna hang out and troll at least reference a better phone the eris is nothing to write home about....
    11-05-09 08:47 PM
    Why hasn't a demo of a widget been previewed yet on crackberry? From what I've heard the tool have been out for a while and widgets are not hard for programmers to create. The quality of the widgets will decide whether I get another blackberry or get an android device. I'd like to stay with BlackBerry, but they need to compete with other vendors in reguards to UI and internet capabilities.
    12-16-09 11:05 PM
    Why do you guys get so pissed off when people say anything negative about our Blackberries? No disrespect just asking. I am from an area where people will bait you into beef so I am use to it. I have friends with Droids, Iphones, and Palm pres and let me tell you the all rie my Tour for being boring and that's fine.

At the end of the day if you love your device, that's all that counts. My Tour is a Beast and I swear I have not seen another in my area of Brooklyn and I am fine with that.

12-17-09 12:57 AM
    berry weather has a widget "like" portion of the program.. here is a screen shot of what it looks like...
    12-17-09 02:03 AM
    berry weather has a widget "like" portion of the program.. here is a screen shot of what it looks like...
    Too bad it's not an actual widget. You can't interact with it because it's really just part of the wallpaper. But I wouldn't be surprised if BerryWeather was the first to have a true customizable functioning widget out. I wonder if anyone has reached out to them to find out if they are working on that?

I do have to say I like having the new icon on my wallpaper on my storm 2. It's nice because it's one less icon you have to have set to the front of the screen.

I hope we start seeing real widgets soon.
    12-22-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD