I am wondering if anyone has an Idea on how to enable the rogers UMA
    since its been deactivated .. Robbers....
    11-05-09 07:18 AM
    no one is sure whether its because of hardware conflicts or software isnt programmed... but since its not in there i'm doubting it will ever be...
    11-05-09 08:40 AM
    I was wondering the same thing.....

Why would they dissable it??? that's just stupid, as they have other phones with UMA that are working.....
    11-05-09 09:42 AM
    I am wondering if anyone has an Idea on how to enable the rogers UMA
    since its been deactivated .. Robbers....
    Someone posted elsewhere on Crackberry that they talked to Rogers Tech Support and was told that UMA will work on the 9700, but only when it is set to EDGE (2G) not HSPA (3G). So I guess they way to check this out would be to 1) disable 3G, enable EDGE, turn on WIFI and UMA (if possible), and see if connects.

For all you early adopters out there, please see if this works! If so, it would be an acceptable work-around for us who really need UMA because of weak EDGE/HSPA signal strength.

If UMA doesn't work due to some HSPA network issue, hopefully it is something that can fixed easily down the road by Rogers, and is not a handset limitation that would be more problematic.
    11-05-09 10:23 AM
    Someone posted elsewhere on Crackberry that they talked to Rogers Tech Support and was told that UMA will work on the 9700, but only when it is set to EDGE (2G) not HSPA (3G). So I guess they way to check this out would be to 1) disable 3G, enable EDGE, turn on WIFI and UMA (if possible), and see if connects.

For all you early adopters out there, please see if this works! If so, it would be an acceptable work-around for us who really need UMA because of weak EDGE/HSPA signal strength.
    I just tried it quick, didn't work for me.
    11-05-09 10:56 AM
    I tried with no luck. I spent hours on the phone with Rogers before they gave up trying issued me a credit and apologized for the misleading promo material.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 11:16 AM
    The 9700 is 110% capable of working on UMA. Whether or not Rogers will allow it is another thing. All they need to do is allow it within the device software.
    11-05-09 11:33 AM
    I checked the UMA options on the E-Screens and the factory provisioning shows the UMA is set up for Rogers.
    11-05-09 12:17 PM
    I've been down this road with Rogers and a Bold 9000 awhile ago.

Short story... no 3G device today will work on Rogers UMA. Doesn't matter if you disable 3G on the phone or not. I don't know exactly why, but the problem is not limited to Rogers network alone.
    11-05-09 12:26 PM
    I know with the 9000 the UMA options didn't even exist in the EScreen so the 9700 definitely has UMA available. The question is how to get it to work...
    11-05-09 12:28 PM
    Is anyone brave enough to try this with their new 9700? http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/
    The Rogers UMA specs are on the bottom of the first page. Good luck to anyone who attemps!

11-05-09 02:32 PM
    I've been down this road with Rogers and a Bold 9000 awhile ago.

Short story... no 3G device today will work on Rogers UMA. Doesn't matter if you disable 3G on the phone or not. I don't know exactly why, but the problem is not limited to Rogers network alone.
    Here is a link to the post on the Rogers 9700 review where the user claimed UMA works:

http://crackberry.com/rogers-blackbe...comment-491887
    11-05-09 02:33 PM
    I called tech support today. They also told me that you have to switch to 2g to make it work. He put me on hold for 15 minutes and tried it..... Said it took a while but worked.

I don't wanna have to switch to 2g everytime I get home.....

11-05-09 04:37 PM
    I called tech support today. They also told me that you have to switch to 2g to make it work. He put me on hold for 15 minutes and tried it..... Said it took a while but worked.

I don't wanna have to switch to 2g everytime I get home.....

Can anyone confirm that this actually works? I would love to get the 9700 soooo much but I can't do it if UMA wont work as I live in a basement apt with 0 signal. I hope to heck this workaround succeeds for someone!
    11-05-09 06:43 PM
    Yeah that 2G workaround is good enough for me, I get zero signal at my office so if it means I have to be on 2G when at work that is fine... heck perhaps someone will write an application that switches you to 2G automatically when you are in a wifi zone and UMA turns on :P If someone could please 101% confirm that this works please let us know, along with the specific instructions (if any) on how you got it going!
    11-05-09 07:23 PM
    I've tried for the last hour. And called tech support again. Finally got somebody that knew what he was talking about.

THE ROGERS 9700 DOES NOT SUPPORT UMA/TALKSPOT

11-05-09 07:58 PM
    I've tried for the last hour. And called tech support again. Finally got somebody that knew what he was talking about.

THE ROGERS 9700 DOES NOT SUPPORT UMA/TALKSPOT

I'd word it differently - we know the 9700 hardware supports UMA, so I'd say that 'Rogers does not support UMA on the Bold 9700'. Small, but important difference! Let's blame Rogers, not Blackberry, for this dumb decision!
    11-05-09 08:03 PM
    phone supports it but software may block it. theres alwasy ways around it
    11-05-09 08:06 PM
    Well then, everyone get working on getting another 9700 carrier OS firmware onto a rogers BB - that should allow UMA to work, shouldn't it? Or is it a service book thing?
    11-05-09 08:15 PM
    Ya I was hoping if we got a tmobile firmware then it would work..... Doubt it though....

11-05-09 08:52 PM
    this maybe a stupid question but what is UMA? whats the benfit of it??
    11-05-09 09:33 PM
    this maybe a stupid question but what is UMA? whats the benfit of it??
    Too lazy and too late to explain it in coles-notes form, but take a look here if you'd like to see a decent explanation of what UMA is: UMA Technology : Overview
    11-05-09 10:01 PM
    Doh!...this blows, lets keep our fingers crossed, I'm sure the other reason uma is disabled has to do with competition laws & the infamous CRTC. Any carrier offering the 9700 with uma enabled would ultimately blow the other 2 carriers out the water...and be the leader in terms of market share. Lets hope all carriers offer uma at the same time.
    11-06-09 12:44 AM
    universally moronic a holes

rogers and other places deactivating UMA as it were
    is universally stupid, they have nothing better to do
    but screw with the software for devices people like.

un licensed media access or what ever UMA stands
    for allows you to make calls on the WIFI, and everyone
    should have it as a standard feature on ALL smart phones

there is NO reason to block it.

carriers and crtc are placing inflated head in dark place
    that smells by doing this...
    11-06-09 07:01 AM
    Just picked up a new 8900 curve yesterday - connected to my wireless router at home and work. no problem with the UMA working, it prioritizes over rogers and works even if I disable my Rogers mobile connection (until I drive away from the router)
    11-06-09 03:43 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD