I know it might sound strange....but...when I get my droid, I'm probably not going to try and use the physical keyboard at all.....like....just pretend it isn't even there.

Like many here, I really could care less about having a physical keyboard on the DROID...so why not just ignore it?

I wonder if we will see a mod or something to make the keyboard area "cool."

anyways....any of you NOT planning to use the physical keys?
    11-05-09 01:57 AM
    I've been thinking about this as well.

I'm more than likely going to use the software keyboard and really limit the use of the physical keyboard.
    But I think it'll be nice to have the physical keyboard as a "backup" just in case I need it, for whatever reason.
    11-05-09 02:20 AM
    Well, if I end up with a Droid, it really depends on which way is easier for me. I can say that I'm hoping I won't really need the physical keyboard. Just because I'm weird like that.
    11-05-09 02:21 AM
    I'm going to try it, but if it's bad, then I'm not going to flip or return the phone or anything. Besides, I think my roommate would kill me if I were to return the phone because it wasn't to my liking, after waiting in the freezing cold (near-freezing temps here in MI) for 4 hours for the doors to open.
    11-05-09 02:36 AM
    I've thought about it, but I've never had a touchscreen phone before, so I'll be using the physical keyboard a lot as long as it's decent. I'm sure it'll just take some getting used to.
    11-05-09 07:36 AM
    Having a physical keyboard on the Droid, was one of the intriguing things for me - I'm also one of those people who'll be coming from little experience with touchscreen-only devices, having the option of either, I like.

As for people who'd prefer not to have a physical keyboard at all, the fast upcoming HTC Eris and later on Sony Ericsson Experia X10 would make fine choices.
    11-05-09 07:53 AM
    I'm gonna glue mine shut.
    11-05-09 07:55 AM
    With how thin the phone is, I might forget it even has one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 07:56 AM
    I am hopefull that the one screen keyboard will be more productive than the slider. Will find out tomorrow!
    11-05-09 08:05 AM
    I anticipate using the physical keyboard mostly when surfing the web because I prefer to have a full screen and not a keyboard taking up 2/3 of the page
    11-05-09 08:10 AM
    Planning to try to use the screen as much as possible. The market's going heavily touchscreen and I need to learn how to use it or I won't have much of a phone selection in the future.
    11-05-09 08:11 AM
    I know it might sound strange....but...when I get my droid, I'm probably not going to try and use the physical keyboard at all.....like....just pretend it isn't even there.

Like many here, I really could care less about having a physical keyboard on the DROID...so why not just ignore it?

I wonder if we will see a mod or something to make the keyboard area "cool."

anyways....any of you NOT planning to use the physical keys?
    You're just saying that now, when u get it you'll alternate usage. I'm a virtual keyboard fan too but sometimes tactile is the way to go when u want to write a novel.
    11-05-09 08:14 AM
    Depends on the situation........web surfing yes for sure.
    Games when required D-pad baybeeeeeeee
    11-05-09 09:15 AM
    I wouldn't use it at all if I get the Droid.

11-05-09 09:22 AM
    During my hands on time with the Droid the other day, I made sure to test each text entry method quite thoroghly. The physical keyboard leaves a lot to be desired. It's not terrible, but it will take some getting used to. It is nowhere near as good as any BlackBerry keyboard, period, end of story.

The virtual keyboard isn't bad at all in landscape. I can see myself using it a lot more than the physical keyboard. And in portrait mode, the virtual keyboard will take a little work to perfect, but the predictive/corrective helps correct common mistakes.
    11-05-09 09:26 AM
    I will be switching off from time to time.

11-05-09 09:30 AM
    I probably will use the on-screen keyboard most of the time. It will be nice to have the physical keyboard to use for longer emails and such so that I can take advantage of the full screen.
    11-05-09 09:33 AM
    I anticipate using the physical keyboard mostly when surfing the web because I prefer to have a full screen and not a keyboard taking up 2/3 of the page
    That is an excellent point, and one I haven't seen mentioned.
    11-05-09 09:52 AM
    That is an excellent point, and one I haven't seen mentioned.
    I had a chance to play with a Droid this morning. It's the most responsive device I've ever used.
    The virtual keyboard simply disappears while browsing as soon. As you're done using it.
    This phone is going to blow everything RIM and others out of the water.

11-05-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD