Hi I just took my scren protector off and I am wondering if it really needs it. Like what if I spilled water on it. I just want to know if it matters?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 08:18 PM
    I guess it depends on whether or not you want to protect the screen from scratches. I'm pretty anal about preventing scratches, so I always use a protector. The protector might be banged up, but at least I know the actual screen is perfect underneath.
    11-03-09 08:25 PM
    Dude dont take this the wrong way but dont be stupid!
    what would you rather replace a full screen or a 10 buck screen protector! |

Think about it this whole phone is about touchin the screen and with out it your will scratch the **** out of the screen and then be pissed off that you didnt take my advice! The stock screen plastic is just to protect it in shipping. I put one on my phone the day i got it!

haha do the right thing dude and get a screen cover. There at every asian shop, place, stand in the mall up here in vancouver BC.. In the usa im not sure but you can even buy em off here in the CB shop and ive heard there are some really good ones where you can take a key and like gouge your screen. I was told that when i bought mine but i wouldnt be tryin that lol. You can! let me know how it goes lol.
    11-03-09 08:28 PM
    That's true I'm a bit fan of screen protectors. If you spill water on your phone it may be a bigger problem than the protector can handle. But as far as scratches its the way to go. Especially if you ever want to sale your phone.

11-03-09 08:29 PM
    touch screen phone .. easily can be scratched .. preventative measure .. a sceen protector .. i think the logic speaks for itself ..
    11-03-09 08:34 PM
    Screen protectors help to prevent scratches and such, but do little to prevent actual water damage. In the end, the choice is yours. The Storm is pretty tough, I've dropped mine several times and it only has scratches on the top plastic piece (above the screen). BUT... I've always used a screen protector, I'm sure it's saved the screen from my own clumsiness.
    11-03-09 08:40 PM
    many people will tell you it doesnt since its made of glass...i dont trust it though and always use some protective measure
    11-03-09 08:46 PM
    They have screen protectors at walmart you cut to fit you get three sheets for around five bucks i replace mine every few weeks always looks new that way.
    11-03-09 08:48 PM
    Screen protectors protect the scren from oil, humidty etc from you touching. I lost 2 phones this way as the buildup on my screen was too much and seized working
    11-03-09 08:57 PM
    The screen it self is scratch resistant but not scratch proof. Meaning it will prevent normal scratches from showing up but if enough pressure was applied the screen would get a scratch. The iPhone and Palm Pre are the same. I tested this with a knife and the screen did not scratch. I also didn't try to stab the screen just ran the tip of the knife on the screen and as all was well.
    Last edited by WhosToBlame; 11-03-09 at 09:38 PM.
    11-03-09 08:58 PM
    The screen it self is scratch resistant but not scratch proof. Meaning it will prevent normal scratches from showing up but if enough pressure was applied the screen would get a scratch. The iPhone and Palm Pre are the same. I tested this with a knife and the did not scratch. I also didn't try to stab the screen just ran the tip of the knife on the screen and as was well.
    You are brave..
    11-03-09 09:16 PM
    Have not had a screen protector on since probably Feb or March. Not one scratch on it. Have had it in my pocket with change and keys the whole time too.

As for smudges, oil, grease, and general nastiness. That's one of the reasons why I wear a shirt, so I can wipe it off.
    11-03-09 09:30 PM
    Day 1 Storm owner, still on my original model, and I removed the screen protector I bought for it after about a month of using it. Like it so much better without. No regrets. other devices may need its protection more, my experience is the Storm does not.

11-03-09 09:41 PM
    I've had my storm for 7 months now and only used screen protectors for the first 2 months or so. I saw a video posted on Youtube where keys, coins and a knife was ran across the screen with no scratching. Since then, I removed my screen protector and have no scratches to speak of. I keep mine in my pocket with no coins or keys though and I keep the screen clean with alcohol wipes every day or so.
    11-03-09 09:50 PM
    Day 1 Storm owner, still on my original model, and I removed the screen protector I bought for it after about a month of using it. Like it so much better without. No regrets. other devices may need its protection more, my experience is the Storm does not.

+1....I have been without one for ten months now. I work ems and the phone is constantly in my pocket with either keys or loose change. Not a nick, scuff, scratch, or blemish to the glass..period. Now the plastic and chrome bezel are scratched and dinged as a result of my abuse but the screen itself looks brand new. Chances are if you exert enough damage to scratch this screen the protector wouldn't have helped. The phone is more responsive imo without one as well. The protectors scratch easy as **** and always drove me nuts with finger prints and scratches. been very happy without it.
    11-03-09 09:51 PM
    Yes.
    My first storm didn't come with the protector and in less than a week I already had permanent scratches on the screen, simply from putting the phone in my EMPTY pocket.. haha.

Trust me use a protector.
    It takes what happens to me to finally realize to take TREMENDOUS care of your BB:
    ht tp:// img23.imageshack.us/img23/8940/dscf0112zvy.jpg

That was from a rock. On my top shelf, woke up smashed my knee on the desk, rock was top shelf etc, blamo.
    $210 later... :P

When I got the screen replaced, the guy had a protector on it and i've already gotten scratches on it since... but replacing the $7 film on it will make my phone look like new.
    It's sort of like wearing kevlar man, you might NOT get shot, but in the case that you do, it really helps. :P
    Last edited by MurrayTORONTO; 11-03-09 at 09:55 PM.
    11-03-09 09:53 PM
    Yes.
    My first storm didn't come with the protector and in less than a week I already had permanent scratches on the screen, simply from putting the phone in my EMPTY pocket.. haha.

Trust me use a protector.
    It takes what happens to me to finally realize to take TREMENDOUS care of your BB:
    ht tp:// img23.imageshack.us/img23/8940/dscf0112zvy.jpg

That was from a rock. On my top shelf, woke up smashed my knee on the desk, rock was top shelf etc, blamo.
    $210 later... :P

When I got the screen replaced, the guy had a protector on it and i've already gotten scratches on it since... but replacing the $7 film on it will make my phone look like new.
    It's sort of like wearing kevlar man, you might NOT get shot, but in the case that you do, it really helps. :P
    If your Storm was new when you got it, then there was a screen protector on it. You probably just didn't notice it was there since it was put on so nice from the factory.

The link for your picture didn't work for me, so I am not sure what it looked like. But if a rock from a shelf fell off and hit your Storm which was on the floor, I see no way that a screen protector would help that.

A kevlar anything isn't going to help you from a bomb flying from the sky.
    11-03-09 10:10 PM
    I haven't used one in since July and I have keys and tools in my pocket. I have ZERO scratches.
    11-03-09 10:58 PM
    I used to use screen protectors but I gave up with them. I took a shot at not using them, and my screen is still in mint condition. Granted it has finger prints and stuff but its a touch screen. I have no permanent damage at all.
    11-03-09 11:11 PM
    never had one on my storm and never had a scratch over the past 9 months... I feel it impedes the ease of use of the device to have a screen protector on a touch screen smartphone of any kind

11-03-09 11:18 PM
    This is the best screen of any media device I've ever had. No protector of any type on mine and it's been dropped face down on my gritty truck floor sliding around before I could pick it up. Not a single scratch can be found. I've had it since January. I don't like screen protectors because they are easily scratched and make your device look bad but I've had to use them on all other touch screen devices before this one. Just my experience with it. Hope the Storm 2 screen is just as good when I make the switch or I will be greatly disappointed.
    11-03-09 11:45 PM
    agree no protector. Using the protector had way more problems.
    11-03-09 11:51 PM
    You are brave..
    Well I saw someone do it was curious and had insurance in case anything went wrong.
    11-03-09 11:59 PM
    I've had my Storm since February and I've had a screen protector on it the entire time. I would rather replace the peice of plastic that I paid $10 for than the entire click screen.
    11-03-09 11:59 PM
    Boy, I think I will agree with majority here. I have always had a protector on my storm since last December. My buddies wife has a storm also and never used a protector and her screen was scratched to ****. It was night and day compared to mine. Also hers is only 6 months old as well.
    11-04-09 01:29 AM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD